14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: NFL & The Refs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those of you that were delusional and believed the replacement refs were no worse than the regular refs, the regular refs will be doing the game tonight on Thursday Night Football. Remember that last weekend the 2 sides were so far apart that there was no chance of deal. 5 days later, they are back to work. If that tells you anything, it should tell you that the replacement refs were horrible.

The replacement refs were horrendous (not just in Monday Night's game) but through the entire season so far.

Did the regular refs screw up sometimes, yes, did they blatantly make a ridiculous amount of bad calls and miss and equal amount of calls that should have been made on a continual basis? No.

I for one am glad, because now we can go back to talking about the games as the main focus instead of the refs as the main focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stupid owners, they thought they could throw their weight around and teach the refs a lesson. Instead, they were the ones who got taught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
They will be a bit out of it and there probably be a few bad calls in the start. However I think the players and coaches will have more respect for the regular refs so they might not try to pester them onto there side.

But we'll see (well you'll see, timezones and all that. I will sleep)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
You know who isn't happy about the regular refs coming back? The replacement refs, now they are all out of jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
You know who isn't happy about the regular refs coming back? The replacement refs, now they are all out of jobs. :(

maybe if they didnt suck, they would still have jobs.

sympathy can be found in the dictionary, somewhere between shit and syphilis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
You know who isn't happy about the regular refs coming back? The replacement refs, now they are all out of jobs.

Actually, that is kind of amusing that you said that because on of the sticking points of the talks was that the NFL wanted more full time ref's and the ref's did not.

You have to remember that the large majority of ref's already have full time jobs. Being a football ref is a part time gig.

The replacement ref's are only out their part time gig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
You know who isn't happy about the regular refs coming back? The replacement refs, now they are all out of jobs. :(

Perhaps not, but I have little sympathy. I hope the NFLRA blacklists them for acting as scabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:
I for one am glad, because now we can go back to talking about the games as the main focus instead of the refs as the main focus.

Agreed. I don't think anyone's upset that the regular refs are back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly thought the replacement refs wouldn't be a huge deal. Yeah we'd see a few bad calls here and there but you always see that in sports officiating. Yeah we'd see people throw a fit every time a ref makes a questionable call but overall we wouldn't notice much change really.

I was surprised however at the procedural mistakes by these guys. They knew the basic rules but we were constantly making procedural mistakes like giving teams extra time outs and replay reviews. Harbaugh in San Francisco even managed to purposely lie to the refs and give the 49ers an extra time out because the head ref didn't know the rules. These replacement refs simply were not prepared as they should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:

Actually, that is kind of amusing that you said that because on of the sticking points of the talks was that the NFL wanted more full time ref's and the ref's did not.

You have to remember that the large majority of ref's already have full time jobs. Being a football ref is a part time gig.

It funny you mention that. Since all this has come about I've been looking into how to become a ref for some various local events. Anyone here have experience in that field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

Good. Scabs are scabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

It funny you mention that. Since all this has come about I've been looking into how to become a ref for some various local events. Anyone here have experience in that field?

I never called football but I was a high school and college level baseball umpire back in the day. I could tell you stories....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

In college I took a class in sports officiating and then earned a few extra bucks working mostly junior and high school football games and a few basketball. I think many community colleges have classes. Basketball is a lot harder than football. Just two officials and you're constantly running up and down the court.

If you're truly interested call up your local school district and ask them who to contact. They should be able to put you into contact with whoever is in charge of officials in your area and they can tell you what you need to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

I did basketball, flag football, and softball. Its fun but have thick skin.

There is a training process toget certified in each state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.