nigel robinson
United Kingdom
stoke-on-trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks
Apologies if this has come up elsewhere but i couldn't find it in the forums, how realistic would it be if i purchased the starter game-box to expand my possible ships by using some of the click together star wars pocketmodels?

I have a large collection of these older "figures" and this game sounds much better but the buy-in costs of the figures seems high at approx £10 per ship.

What is required to field a ship in this game? does each ship need an order wheel? deck of cards (ala wings of war?) are character cards optional? and how many come in the base starter game?

My ideal situation would be that i could play and proxy the additional ships with these pocketmodels maybe adding a few additional "official" models over time to increase my character choices.

Is this realistic or am i way off target?

thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess it's possible. But the base templates are pretty important. Might be hard to establish arcs of fire without them, and range might be inconsistent since you are supposed to measure from base to base.

Not ideal, could be pretty frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use replacement figs, the main component you'll be missing is the maneuver wheel. The other components (focus/dodge markers, target locks, pilot cards, etc) you tend to have enough left over to just use with other figs, but you *need* a maneuver wheel for *every* figure you field.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
If you use replacement figs, the main component you'll be missing is the maneuver wheel. The other components (focus/dodge markers, target locks, pilot cards, etc) you tend to have enough left over to just use with other figs, but you *need* a maneuver wheel for *every* figure you field.

-shnar

You don't need a wheel, you need a way of deciding your maneuver and committing to it.

Other threads have been discussing the use of marked up cards etc to do this job for those people whose wheels are already wearing out.

The bases could be done with foam board easily enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, at that point, spend the $60 and save yourself a LOT of time and play a great (looking) game with real figures! Think about it, the amount of time you'll spend making new components, the amount of money you'll spend on these components (ink, paper) you're probably into it more than just buying the game.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got my two cores plus all expansions, but I know if I was eight and had a bunch of those models....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and got 2 core sets and 1 of each expansion but then also made proxies with my StarShipBattles minis and they work great. Just put new 40mm bases on then and all set to go. I basically just use my SSB minis and now I dont have to worry about damaging the original minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Scott
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were hungry enough, you could use these for your maneuver dials: [filepage=82886][/filepage]. Pick up some foam core at a hobby store ... print... glue... cut... play. I've got this in mind after reading that someone else is already running into a problem with wear on his game dials.

--tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TScott wrote:
If you were hungry enough, you could use these for your maneuver dials: [filepage=82886][/filepage]. Pick up some foam core at a hobby store ... print... glue... cut... play. I've got this in mind after reading that someone else is already running into a problem with wear on his game dials.

--tim

LOL, those are the dials I made I've printed out a whole set and put them on card stock already. they seem to do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nigel robinson
United Kingdom
stoke-on-trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to all, i think i will buy a core starter and supplement it using the dials linked above :-)

Thanks again especially to terence lee who spent time creating the dial pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njr5 wrote:
What is required to field a ship in this game?

You need a card and a dial.

Remember that the card is used to place tokens and upgrades on so you should have a seperate one for each figure.

The base template is meaningless. There is nothing on them that isn't on the card and the firing arc is simply a triangle from the center of the ship.

I had the same issue for my old Micro Machines. I printed dials and cards and laminated them all and put in paper fasters for the dials.

njr5 wrote:
Is this realistic or am i way off target?

It's doable. Not trivial but doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.