Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Settlers of Catan was published 1995. Since then it received lots of awards and nowadays it is one of the most sold and best known boardgames. Since its first release there were dozens of expansions and spin-offs. The youngest child in the still growing family of Settlers of Catan games is Star Trek: Catan.

What is it about? The players work for the United Federation of Planets and try to subdue a new part of space. To do this they build space stations to get access to the raw material deposit of different planets. Furthermore they establish trade routes (represented by little Enterprise-like space ships). And of course players trade their ressources with each other. The first player who scores ten victory points is the winner.

The gameplay is identical to basic Settlers of Catan. The ressources have different names, you build space stations instead of settlements,... The only difference is that the mini-expansion Die Helfer von Catan is integrated, i.e. you have cards showing prominent Star Trek charakters that give you special abilities.

Also the theme was put onto an allready existig game mechanic both combine very well. You will not feel like Kirk while playing but rather like a merchant in the original series but it feels like Star Terk nontheless.

The game materiels are nice, too. The space stations and ships are well sculpted. Maybe the ships are a little too delicate, i.e. they break quite easily. The rules are well written and easy to understand. The game comes with a four page rule book that explains everything you have to know in the beginning and an almanac that answers question that might come up while playing.

For whom is the game suited? If you are a Trekkie you need this game because it is Star Trek and it is not a bad game. I you love Settlers of Catan but want to see something different it also my be a good game for you. Or maybe you do not own any version of Sttlers of Catan: than this game is a good option. BUT if you allready own a version of Settlers of Catan and are neither a Trekkie nor somebody who loves the game so much that he plays it every other day nor a collector than you do not need this game in addition to your regular Settlers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.