12 Posts

Axis & Allies Pacific 1940» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Japan first turn attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
I have read different strategies for Japan. They all suggest agressive attacks on turn 1, 2 or 3 against southern targets

None of the strategies suggest turn 1 attack against US fleet on havaiji

Is it so bad decision to destroy that US fleet on havaiji first turn with SZ 6 forces? Other naval forces sended to the south. What is the main reason i should not do that?

I think attack on US fleet could slower US counter attack against Japan for 1 turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salmiaque DePastille
Germany
Bad Oldesloe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The US will smash your fleet then.angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
U also lose quite a bit of income as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
US smash my fleet? How?

If i destroy havaijian fleet, US got carrier, battleship, destroyer 4 fighters

I got battleship, 2 carriers 4 fighters, 2 destroyers, cruiser... maybe more

How i lose income?? USA is going at war if i attack UK so it is not the point...if i do not take havaiji, USA gets another 5 ipc NO income...

hmm...have to think about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
The lost income comes from not taking more IPCs the first turn.

Then in the 2nd turn you take the territories that you could have taken in the 1st turn, and lose the IPCs from the territories that you could have taken if you'd taken the other territories in the first turn and so on.

Japan must build its resource base to equal the US or they are done for.

Mind you, I think the Axis is done for anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
What is the territory i can not take if i send my SZ6 fleet to attack havaiji? (what should i do with the SZ 6 fleet if i don´t attack US fleet?) In filippines US fleet is so loysy, i can destroy it without SZ 6 fleet

I think i can take almost all terrotories that i could take if i don´t attack US fleet.. (maybe only thing i can not do is to destroy british battleship, but also i don`t lose my cruiser)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery frost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not playing with alpha++ rules, then killing the British battleship is extremely important, simply because it is with 2 transports. In Global you should pretty much never attack with Japan before turn 3 you should in fact plan on a turn 3 India conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tohtori T
Finland
flag msg tools
Playing Global second edition, i think alpha +3

I´m not really sure i should wait until turn 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
As an American player I'd love it if you attacked me first. I'd rather have you fighting me than clearing out Asia and India. I think that one of the issues is that if you attack Hawaii, your forces are out of position to do other things. If I'm lucky I can egg you into throwing more resources at it after the first battle. The US builds up incredibly fast.

I haven't played with Alpha 3, but when we've played before and the Japanese have done this, it has not been a winning strategy. That doesn't mean that I'm right, just that the Japanese have been unable to pull it off.

They once went for Mexico, which was amusing but ultimately destructive.

Edit: All comments are in relation to the global game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Maynard
United States
South Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On J1 and J2 I always build as many transports that I can, then fill them with either existing INF or build INF and tanks to put on them.

I get as many ground troops into Asia as I can before the US gets into the war. Crushing the UK and maybe China in the first three turns becomes my top mission.

Once America enters the war it will be hard to divert enough resources to beat the US at sea and take out the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery frost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IN glabal japan should wait till turn 3 and set up to smash india in one fell swoop after having beaten down china already.
In just a pacific game then japan attacks south hitting as many targets as possible denying the british income and gaining it for yourself, you build 3 transports and an artillery. (targets should include: phillipines, hong kong, british island in the south (4), french indo china, (whatever is reachable in china, the british battleship, and don't forget to keep some ships with your fleet japan for new builds. turn 2 we continue the advance building an airbase and naval base in the province south of hong kong, this will allow your fleet and airforce to reach india turn 3, you should also capture malaysia and perhaps another island or two, turn 3 india falls and china crumbles, your income should be 70ish and while the americans + australlians have more total income you started with more pieces and should still have more, turn 3 builds should probably include a carrier and some small ships be sure to put a destroyer out to block the american fleet from advancing. why aircraft carriers? they are an amazing buy for a country that starts with 12 extra fighters/tacs you can immediatly fill them and after india dies the land war is over all you need for victory is hawaii, yes hawaii because once the american fleet dies in flames to your superior naval power they can't hold it australia is possible but much dicier especially if the australian player builds any sort of defence and worse and fleet committed to the south aren't facing what will become a formidable american fleet. I have played this game in every version since it first came out and tested it over and over and pacific is skewed heavily towards japan if the japanese player goes after india turn 3 kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ingram
msg tools
India falls on turn 3? Is it being run by a complete imbecile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.