Subject: Query. Dice as blocks for hex wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to find out if there are games already published with the following features...

- military units represented as blocks on the board
- a board of hexgrid as a battlefield
- instead of blocks, custom dice are used; each die face showing 1 or more icons to represent attack, defense, movement, or special ability.
- multiple blocks used in each hex to represent "hitpoints", damage eliminates blocks 1-to-1

As far as I know, games like Command and Colors have the features I listed except for the custom dice.

And games like Dragondice have the custom dice, but not the hexgrid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You should also look at Diceland. It's not exactly what you're describing, but has most of the elements you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

You should also look at Diceland. It's not exactly what you're describing, but has most of the elements you describe.

Cool! I gave it a look. My first gut feeling from reading the English rules pretty much matches Tom Vasel's review... the game is boring because of the high degree of luck.

But I found the abstraction interesting from a game designer perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is of course Dragon Dice wherein the units are dice, the terrain is dice, etc.

Theres a couple of other games that use dice as the units in interesting ways. Chunky Fighters and Aether Captains are two others.

As I mentioned in an older simmilar thread. I once toyed with an idea for a game where the terrain was composed of dice and the player pawns were dice too. Maybee should revisit that some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
There is of course Dragon Dice wherein the units are dice, the terrain is dice, etc.

Theres a couple of other games that use dice as the units in interesting ways. Chunky Fighters and Aether Captains are two others.

As I mentioned in an older simmilar thread. I once toyed with an idea for a game where the terrain was composed of dice and the player pawns were dice too. Maybee should revisit that some day.

Yeah, i forgot that terrain is dice in Dragondice. Thanks for bringing that up. I've also played around with dice being terrain (or rooms) ... but that's a different thread of thought.

I wasn't considering chunky fighters... but now that you mentioned it, it is a pretty interesting fit... i have a copy of it, so i may have to try putting those chunky fighters onto a hex grid and figure out how to integrate movement.

i guess the same can be said for aether captains... but i'd be tempted to do aerial manuevers for that on a hex grid... which may make it too complicated. gonna have to see how the new xwing game strikes my group of gamers... they might still prefer crimson skies. but again, a somewhat different tangent.

at the moment, i'm trying to see if there is anything that i can modify about the command and colors system to make use of units-as-dice instead of battle dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I can interest you in this thread, as an idea how to design your dice:Dissecting the D6 – a powerful tool of high flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellowship of the Ring (ICE). The units are groups of individuals (e.g. members of Fellowship, Nazgul). But much of rest of what you suggest is there. Uppermost die face is movement mode, actual group content is hidden - or may be dummy. Map is hexes from Shire to Mordor. That's strategic not tactical of course,and no chits for damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Maybe I can interest you in this thread, as an idea how to design your dice:Dissecting the D6 – a powerful tool of high flexibility.

Kai, thanks for reminding me. I am very familiar with your fill-in-the-pips concept. I probably won't be allowing the player to customize their dice. But the "standard" units may indeed be based on your mechanics in some form....maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Mecha Dice and Warrior Dice which has an interesting play to it and allows custom mechs or fighters to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Fellowship of the Ring (ICE). The units are groups of individuals (e.g. members of Fellowship, Nazgul). But much of rest of what you suggest is there. Uppermost die face is movement mode, actual group content is hidden - or may be dummy. Map is hexes from Shire to Mordor. That's strategic not tactical of course,and no chits for damage.

Wow- I never saw that game! Looks epic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
There is also Mecha Dice and Warrior Dice which has an interesting play to it and allows custom mechs or fighters to be made.

I think you've mentioned these to me before, in a much older thread. I think we were discussing custom mechs by putting pre-built components together. The components are represented by dice, and a mechanic would have a separate dice for chassis, arms, legs, head, etc.

Out of curiosity, was there any deep strategy involved in warrior dice? I glanced over the rules link you provided in your review, and it seemed to be very random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I think you've mentioned these to me before, in a much older thread. I think we were discussing custom mechs by putting pre-built components together. The components are represented by dice, and a mechanic would have a separate dice for chassis, arms, legs, head, etc.

Out of curiosity, was there any deep strategy involved in warrior dice? I glanced over the rules link you provided in your review, and it seemed to be very random

Warrior Dice? Not really aside from selection of skills to apply to the dice. It was a pretty standard one-on-one slug fest really. Mecha Dice had the more refined rules allowing for multiple mechs and more custom options. Still pretty much one on one. But could be adaptable to a mechwarrior style of ranged grid play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Warrior Dice? Not really aside from selection of skills to apply to the dice. It was a pretty standard one-on-one slug fest really. Mecha Dice had the more refined rules allowing for multiple mechs and more custom options. Still pretty much one on one. But could be adaptable to a mechwarrior style of ranged grid play.

That matches what I was thinking. The "strategy" would be in the "pregame" selections. Thankfully, the "slug fest" wouldn't take that long, and you can play several battles and declare a victor based on who won the most.

It's not a bad way to design a game, especially if the players are into that kind of "pre-game metagaming" ... trying to figure out what their opponent would pick and hedging their own picks to counteract the opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Wow- I never saw that game! Looks epic!

Looks like someone's done work on the components, as I can't see spots on the dice, and I don't recognise the little balls on the cubes. But tje board is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Stormtower wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Fellowship of the Ring (ICE).

Looks like someone's done work on the components, as I can't see spots on the dice, and I don't recognise the little balls on the cubes. But tje board is the same.

Yup, someone pimped the game up with new homemade components. rather than stickered dice, they have colored cubes (with holes, i think). and then those balls are the tops of colored pins inserted into the holes. Pretty cool re-engineering.

Back on topic... I'm working on a new block-and-hexgrid game now, where the blocks are also the dice used for battle. It still has command cards, but not along the lines of the Command&Color or Memoir44 systems. I'll start a new thread soon (or revive an old one), once I settle on a theme....

Trying to decide between..
-- Ancient Infantry skirmish
or
-- Mecha Melee Gladiatorial Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ... here's the followup:
(WIP) Infantry Dice (hexgrid wargame/skirmish dicefest)

Yeah ... yet another new game work-in-progress.

But notably, I did see some things that I may eventually incorporate into an old WIP:
(WIP) Mech Dice

Just gotta figure out if standing two or more cubes on top of each other to look like a mech (ala Chunky Fighters) will make sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gagnon
msg tools
And here I thought I had a unique idea about using dice as playing pieces, but I can't say I'm overly surprised that this has been done before. I was mostly thinking about a way to use the Chessex pound of dice mixes. Using different polyhedral dice provides different unit strengths. It's been interesting reading up on the different ideas for using dice as playing pieces.

The gameboard is flat Lego 2x2 tiles that lets me pull apart boards and tweak or redesign them. Since they're Legos, they'll be around a long time and have a wide variety of pieces available for pimping the surface in different ways.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9987699
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
way cool!

That reminded me of my ol' 2nd Edition AD&D days, back when we didn't even have miniatures, so we used the dice to get an idea of where things were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.