Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I am very new to MECCG, I have access to alot of cards and I am also planning on making proxies for some.

However, I find it hard to know where to start when building a deck. There are so many aspects that should work together for making an interesting and fun deck.

I am more interested in making a deck with strong theme, rather than a strictly competitive deck.

I would be most grateful if someone could give me some hints on how to approach deck building!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ola

Congratulations on getting into this beautiful game. Assuming you are starting with the Wizards, try EBay or Amazon for the Wizards Players Guide which was published by ICE. It includes photos of all the cards and what they do. It also has a lot of text giving insight into the game including deck themes. Also have a look for a paperback called Mastering Middle Earth which is exclusively about deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd follow these steps:

- Choose a theme. The Return of the King, Destroy the One Ring, Loot the Dragons' Lairs... whichever you want.
- Gather the key resources (by that I mean resource cards) you need to accomplish such task. Cards that you don't need from the beginning of the game can be on the sideboard.
- Add support resources and try not to go far past 30 cards.
- Choose the best characters and avatar for your theme. Decide which ones start in the deck and which ones go to the pool with the starting minor items.
- Add and equal number of hazards. You can choose a theme for that too. Undead, Orcs and Trolls, Corruption, Environment, Dragons... try that your hazard theme doesn't "kicksback" with you resource theme. E.g. don't buff orcs if you plan to go to Moria.

That's pretty much it. Deck building in MECCG is a difficult art, but don't worry too much. As with any other CCG the trick is build a deck, see how it works and make changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jose has plenty much nailed it, but let me add a few things anyway:

- browse through your site cards and think ahead which sites you like to visit (for playing items, factions, etc.), those shouldn't be too far away from each other, otherwise you waste too much time for traveling. Very serious reasons aside, you should be able to reach the next site within one turn.

- watch out for characters professions (sage, scout, etc.), preferably, your party has at least one each.

- do not worry to much to sacrifice a "low value" character as cannon fodder, just restock from the characters in the deck

- The Council of Hamburg is playing its (theoretically) monthly tournaments on a scenario-deck basis, check out their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Adriaens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The steps from Jose are the ones I use for making decks too.

I start building the resource side as mentioned by Jose and take particular note of the company you're using. I mean if you have cards for Sages in your deck, you should include enough sages etc.

The hazard portion comes afterwards and just try not to conflict hazards and resources, like building Gates of Monring resource portion and a Doors of Night hazard deck.

Play with the deck and try to figure out what the weaknesses are. One way to do this is adding a few blank cards in your deck and when playing and you get a blank card, figure out which card you would need at that moment, write the name of the card on the blank one and use that card as the cardname written on it from now on..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the advice! I will definitely bear those tips in mind when building my deck!

When I look at my friend's decks I find that most of them revolve around permanent events such as "Return of the King" and "King underneath the mountain". They are resource events that require other cards to have been played before them.

I know this is just wishful thinking, but does anyone of you know if there is a list, summarizing those kinds of cards which you can easily build a deck around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think such list exists, but from the top of my mind:

Cross the Doors of Dol Guldur
Fate of the Ithil Stone
Army of the Dead
Mithril
Andúril, Flame of the West

There are many more, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, that is exactly the kinds of cards I meant. They are perfect for building decks around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Adriaens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You have large 'quests', where you need to build your deck around, but there are also a lot of little 'quests' you can undertake, you can even combine the small ones.

Some 'quests' from the top of my mind:

Destroying the One Ring
Gems of Arda
Armory / Minor Items
Reforging Anduril
Book of Mazarbul
Sentinels of Numenor
Into the Smoking Cone
Fate of the Ithil-stone
Pass the doors of Dol Guldur
Legendary Hoard
Returned Exiles / King under the Mountain
Galadriel / Lorien
Aragorn / Return of the King / Army of the Dead
The White Tree
Mallorn
Palantíri
Rings
Travelling via the Under-deeps
The Dwarves Are Upon You / An Unexpected Party

etc.

Edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And by the way, if you like to have some decklist (for the scenario tournemant format), feel free to drop me a PM, can also supply decklists for hazards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That's exactly what I need! I will check them out!
Hopefully, I will be able to post a finished deck here later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for the public use, let me post some of the scenarios of the Hamburg council, that were/are played in a 2-deck tournament style:
(need 25MP to call the council, deck at least exthausted once)

1: The Hobbit
allowed starting characters:
Bilbo and dwarf with the home site blue mountain dwarf hold

Goals: King under the mountain is in play, The Arkenstone or returned Exiles are in Play, A Item or Ally is played at Lonely Mountain, while the "King under the mountain" is present

3: Return of the King
Aragorn or Strider must be your first starting character
3 of the following must be played:
Army of the dead, The white tree, Return of the king, Luthiens choice

11: The Rohirrim
Red Arrow, Riders of Rohan, Shadowfax, Shield of Rohan and 4 Characters with the home site Edoras must be in play

will post more later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.