David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what game mechanism did you once loathe but now adore and what game changed your mind. For me, there are two.

1) Rolling dice Now granted, there are still many games that employ dice that I do not care for (Settlers, Monopoly, and others), but if dice are done right, I'm hooked. The game that changed my mind was Stone Age. I don't play Stone Age that much anymore and the game that really cemented my love of dice was Castles of Burgundy.

2) Auctions. My first exposure to auctions was Power Grid. I didn't hate the game, but I wasn't itching to play it again either. I wasn't eager to try any other games with an auction because the game just felt a little too loose around the edges. But Homesteaders really changed my mind. I love the auction in that game, as well as the rest of the game. And since then, I have added Goa to my collection and that game has become one of, of not THE, favorite game in my humble collection. I now find auctions to be very exciting, interactive, and tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good Geek List!

I'd second dice rolling but the game which changed my mind was Seasons where they are used strategically. I'm going to have to look again at all sorts of games which I'd dismissed for having dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to dislike dungeon crawls. But Gears of War: The Board Game changed it for me. Now I also own one of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games and play both of these a fair amount. I may need to try Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) again as the first edition of this was what turned me off many years ago... early on in my board gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to hate games with no luck, since I saw them as reading sequences of moves only. Then I encountered go, and saw that it is possible to have strategy (as opposed to tactics) in a no-luck game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games where you have to sacrifice actions to build points. I prefer to build my engine with components that make my engine stronger, not choose between points and a stronger engine.

Game that changed my mind: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. Granted, some games murder fun when they do this but I can now go back and appreciate various games with this mechanic that I'd written off in the past ever since my eyes have been opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of Randomness

I played but never completed a game of Talisman 2nd Edition and was sure that this was no game at all. Roll dice, move left or right, pull card, roll dice, beat card or lose to card. Bleh. Gimme some Euro like Puerto Rico, please.

Than I got older and had kids, suddenly being able to shut my mind off and just go with the flow was pleasant. Game that made me realize this? Talisman 4th Edition. Love that game. Me and the son played it 5 times in one week. Easy to play, but still gives you a feeling of adventure if you let yourself get lost in it.

Jorune

ps. Sorry this isn't a mechanic per say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree with auctions. Played Medici, was horrible and couldn't figure out how to value anything. Played Ra, same issue. Then I tried a few more times, and a few other games with different types of auctions (Amun-Re, Homesteaders, Power Grid, Princes of Florence), and now I quite enjoy them. Came to the point where I bought a used copy of Modern Art as I felt I needed an auction game for my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckets of dice.

I used to think they were just extra-large helpings of randomness, until I finally realized (with some help from strategy articles and designer notes) that rolling lots of dice actually smoothes out the randomness. If the designer wants some wildly unlikely thing to be possible in the game, it can either happen 17% of the time (one d6), or

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
So what game mechanism did you once loathe but now adore and what game changed your mind. For me, there are two.

1) Rolling dice Now granted, there are still many games that employ dice that I do not care for (Settlers, Monopoly, and others), but if dice are done right, I'm hooked. The game that changed my mind was Stone Age.

It was the stinky cup that helped you change your mind, wasn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-ops:

I was really against even the idea of these until I got around to playing Pandemic. That game is so great, that it allowed me to really appreciate the experience that cooperative games provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter106 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

1) Rolling dice Now granted, there are still many games that employ dice that I do not care for (Settlers, Monopoly, and others), but if dice are done right, I'm hooked. The game that changed my mind was Stone Age.

It was the stinky cup that helped you change your mind, wasn't it?

What are you talking about? I don't wear a jock strap when i play Stone Age. That would be weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.