Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4.2.1 Resigning as president

If, as a result of selling shares, the holding of a company president drops below that of another player who owns at least two shares of the company

In my reasoning, the president of a company has at least two shares, so should another player not own at least three shares instead of two??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 shares.
You have 2 shares.

I sell 2 shares.

Welcome to your new company, President!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
4.2.1 Resigning as president

If, as a result of selling shares, the holding of a company president drops below that of another player who owns at least two shares of the company

In my reasoning, the president of a company has at least two shares, so should another player not own at least three shares instead of two??

Nope.. a pres cert is two shares. So, if someone else has two shares you can sell down to 1 or 0 (bonk pool percentages allowing).

However, you can't, as the president, sell down to 0 or 1 if no one else has at least two shares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right... nice formulation Burster .

And if I understand Bob correctly, your only option to get rid of a presidency in case no one has at least two shares, is a liquidation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Right... nice formulation Burster .

And if I understand Bob correctly, your only option to get rid of a presidency in case no one has at least two shares, is a liquidation!

If you have a company you do not want, you may:

(1) Dump it on another shareholder (anyone who has at least 2 shares -- there are no limits on how many shares may be in the bank pool.)
(2) Abandon it to liquidation (trainless or cannot pay interest) -- you get the treasury and pay off any loans (as well as paying interest when the company operated)
(3) Offer it up for friendly sale (purchasing corporation gets treasury and loans)
(3a) Let it slide into the gray zone where it must be offered up for sale, though it will continue to operate if there are no takers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK! Great to have such support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
pilotbob wrote:
Nope.. a pres cert is two shares. So, if someone else has two shares you can sell down to 1 or 0 (bonk pool percentages allowing).

There is no limit the percentage of shares of a company that may be in the bank pool in 1817. The maximum possible is thus 180%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4.7 '...it is possible for players to own 100% or more of a 5-share or 10-share company while stock is in the open market or on the company charter, due to short selling. The stock price is then moved one space to the left for each share in the open market...'

This is not entirely clear because it does not specify what happens if there was no short selling; in case the company has not been sold short, is the share price moved left if 4 shares are in player's hands (5-share co.) and 1 in the open market - one space? Or if 3 shares are in player's hands (10-share co.) and 7 in the open market - 7 spaces?

If so, 'in case less than all existing shares of a company - including those created due to short selling - are in player's hands, the share price moves left for each share in the open market', could be another or even better way of putting it, right?

Not nagging, just trying to understand here .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If at the end of an SR:

- 100% or more of a 5 or 10 share company are in player's hands, the stock rises once.

- Any of a company's shares are in the open market, the stock price falls once for each share of the company in the Open Market.

Both may happen at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both may happen at the same time.

When the company is shorted, I think: a 5-share company is shorted, so there are 10 shares of this company. If 7 are in the player's hands, which is 140%, and 3 are in the open market, the stock price will move one to the right, and three to the left, net 2 left.

And... if in fact only 3 shares were shorted, and the other 2 are still in the Open Short Interest, AND let's say (I'm here to learn!)that the company bought one to put in its treasury, then in the above example 7 still are in the player's hands, for 140%, and none are in in the open market... so 1 box to the right and none to the left! If the company didn't bother to buy that one share from the open market, the price would stay the same.

Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeaaaaaah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 5.7 it is mentioned that the bank will also sell trains from the open market. A few lines down it is stated that excess trains should be discarded to the pool.

The open market for trains = the pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.