United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An article appeared today in the NYT:

"Board Games to Put Families Back in Play"

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/10/fashion/thursdaystyles/10o...

BuyWord, Carcassonne, Elfenland and Rat-a-Tat Cat are mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clam chowda!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/86219

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rat a tat Cat? Why is that one mentioned? Not a reflection on whether its a good game or not, as I've never played it, but it certainly is obscure.

No Settlers? No Puerto Rico? No Niagra?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:
Rat a tat Cat? Why is that one mentioned? Not a reflection on whether its a good game or not, as I've never played it, but it certainly is obscure.

Rat-a-tat Cat is a top seller at Funagain.com. So are Carcasonne and Elfenland. Actually, Buyword looks like the oddball in that bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:

I would say that if you were a "typical" family, whatever that is, that the other games would be obscure. Rat-a-tat-cat can be found in every Walmart and Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
everlong205 wrote:

Actually, RAT A TAT CAT has sold 10-100 times more copies than PUERTO RICO. It is one of Gamewright's all-time best sellers. To the vast majority of Americans, PUERTO RICO is obscure.

Alan R. Moon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SouthernMan wrote:
Err ... and that newspaper article was meant to raise the profile of gaming ? Where the family mum ends up being addicted to the console game (dumbing down of todays society) shake

Yeah, what was that? It's like the last couple of paragraphs completely obliterated any ground gained in the rest of the article.

I guess to continue to add value to the article, she would have actually had to *play* the games instead of just buy them. Maybe there's a follow-up story coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waters
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps her husband would beat the game quicker if he wasn't "staring intently at his thumbs" while the computer is serving.

Anyway, when you're on the fringe, which Eurogaming certainly is in this country, there's no such thing as bad press.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.