Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-gurus/post/the...

Look at that game selection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Washington Post wrote:
...the main attraction is 20 games that customers can rent for $2 to $5. The options are wide-ranging: Classics like Connect Four and Operation, interactive games such as Don’t Break the Ice and Jenga, and more cerebral games, such as Scatergories and Taboo

It sounds like they really need to work on their selection. robot
Ticket to Ride and Catan just for starters. But, hey, they just opened so there's plenty of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
It'll be interesting to see if they even know about our sorts of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:

Based on the article those games aren't the ones I would want to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the photo, most BGG-type games won't even fit on the tables!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a cool idea...

But, it is kind of interesting they would invest in a board game bar without researching the world of board games to go beyond Milton Bradley, Parker Bros,etc. It's almost like the idea was just to make it stand out from the other bars; a novelty. I started collecting games in Febuary, and my paltry my collection surpasses this. I'm not sure which games they would charge $5 to rent, but that's pretty steep for Monoply, Jenga and the like.

Or maybe they did their research and decided some games were too expensive an investment for the amount they estimated they would get played?

Sounds like some local BGGers should drop in and let them know what they're missing, because like I said... It does sound like a cool idea with some further development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And considering that Monopoly seems to bring the worst out of humanity... Holding a regular Monopoly tournament in such close proximity to alcohol sounds like an excellent opportunity to get shanked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
'The Article' wrote:
...and more cerebral games, such as Scatergories and Taboo.

:facepalm:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
If they feel like pulling out ALL the stops maybe they'll add Cranium.
wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
I'm not sure which games they would charge $5 to rent, but that's pretty steep for Monoply, Jenga and the like.

I think the only people who would pay $5 to rent Monopoly or Jenga are people who are already on their fifth or sixth drink...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muhahaha, more victi...people to inflict Quelf on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
They are going for a different crowd than the BGG-type. The games match what the crowd is familiar with. It is in Dupont Circle after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ferrer
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venton wrote:
If they feel like pulling out ALL the stops maybe they'll add Cranium.
wow
Whoa, whoa, whoa, pump your breaks there Speed Racer. Cranium is beyond cerebral, they are already stocking brain burners such as Taboo and Scategories. Cranium is likely to melt brains.

Quote:
There are more than just board games, though: The two levels contain vintage video games, including Root Beer Tapper
Ugh, they can't even get the right Tapper. Budweiser Tapper with brass rail and cup holder is the only way to play that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
They are going for a different crowd than the BGG-type. The games match what the crowd is familiar with. It is in Dupont Circle after all.

Haha, so true. I live in DC, and while this is a great idea, it is definitely not going to draw the BGG-type crowd. If I want to drink beer and play games, I can do that at home with my gaming group. If I want to play awesome games I don't own, I go to my FLGS (*ahem, shameless shout-out* Labyrinth Games on Capitol Hill) where they've got more "store copy" games than you can shake a stick at.

Best of luck to these folks running this bar. I hope it works out for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying they need to go full-on BGG in their collection, but geez, how hard would it be to have a couple of well-known gateway games in there?

You know, perhaps a copy of Settlers, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, just a few...

I have no idea how many beers it would take before a self-respecting gamer would agree to play Monopoly, but it's probably more than what they're legally allowed to sell to one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I'm not saying they need to go full-on BGG in their collection, but geez, how hard would it be to have a couple of well-known gateway games in there?

You know, perhaps a copy of Settlers, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, just a few...

I have no idea how many beers it would take before a self-respecting gamer would agree to play Monopoly, but it's probably more than what they're legally allowed to sell to one person.

+1 It's not like we're suggesting they get copies of Case Blue... More like the lighter stuff they've started selling at Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Guthrie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, Labyrinth is a good store. Pretty friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
Judging from reactions to game prices here on the Geek, I seriously doubt too much of our hobby is going to either:

A.) Pay 5$ to play a game they don't get to keep.

B.) Pay 5$+ per draft, of Miller Lite no less

It's a cool concept, though it's not aimed at us. They could even work their tournaments into a singles thing, think speed-dating, but with boardgames.

Speed dating and monopoly, I can see the tag line now...

"Come out for a fun night of meeting people you will want to kill in 4-5 hours."

Is it possible that the article simply highlighted only well known games? Maybe they have a decent selection sitting behind the counter, but the reporter was like, Eclipse? that's too hard to spell, let's stick with Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well according to their web site, they have Connect 4, Backgammon, and Monopoly. Period.

That's like an establishment selling itself as a sports bar with just one TV station that only shows synchronized swimming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Waiting for someone to show up with Case Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pippers wrote:
Waiting for someone to show up with Case Blue.

That would take up every table in the bar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.