Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
109 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Last straw with card Quantities in FFG LCGs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
41 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lam
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
snore
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
but this will be my last purchase of an LCG until they get this right.


So you're still buying it anyway?
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
The entire purpose of an LCG is to limit the buying of similar packs of cards that drove many of us away from CCGs, but this is the same ilk!


Limit, not eliminate.

And really, I think Netrunner is one of the more financially forgiving LCGs they've put out. It's playable out of the box without being weird, and the expansion packs give 3 copies of each card.

Blue Moon was far worse when I got into it.

Hey, if you have extra copies of useless cards you're planning to put into a fireplace, feel free to send them over. Saves me from switching cards in and out of decks every time.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
This is a CONTINUAL problem with FFG and their LCGs and I've had enough of it. I will not be supporting FfG with any further purchases of its LCG lines until FFG respects its customers by producing cards in appropriate quantities.

There are two logical ways that FFG could choose the quantities of cards in their LCGs - either produce quantities that match the game rules for maximum number of a card type OR produce quantities in a single, consistent number across all cards. I think the first option would clearly raise the satisfaction level of customers to the highest level. FFG, however, chooses to do neither. FFG forces its customers to choose between making substandard decks or ponying up more money to get the sufficient quantities of some cards while also paying for hundreds of cards that will be completely unnecessary and might as well be used in a fireplace. The entire purpose of an LCG is to limit the buying of similar packs of cards that drove many of us away from CCGs, but this is the same ilk!

FFG is generally a great company with quality product and quality service and respect/appreciation for its customers; it's LCG line is a quality product that is not coupled with respect for the consumer. I will continue to support FFG by purchasing board games, but this will be my last purchase of an LCG until they get this right.


Didn't you know beforehand?

And two, okay. Thanks for sharing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Well......bye.
15 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
dond80 wrote:
but this will be my last purchase of an LCG until they get this right.


So you're still buying it anyway?


Already bought. It had been a while since lotr and warhammer and I had almost forgot about how irritating the quantities were, I was promptly reminded upon looking at the cards here today.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, I find pretty much every post between my OP and this one to be evidence of a problem on the geek. Whenever someone posts something negative about a popular game or company, the instant and overwhelming reaction by the community is to bombard and attack the OP with worthless drivel chock full of snide remarks, photos, and patronizing tone while being mostly devoid of substance that is helpful to the community.

My OP was factual, objective in that i recognized the positives and negatives of FFG, and and serves a crucial and underutilized function in our capitalist economy- customers sharing their opinions to impact supply and demand. Yet, the responses above reflect disdain directed at me for voicing that opinion in a professional and polite manner. I welcome anyone who disagrees with me, but a modicum of respect and cordiality would also be appreciated along with any disagreement.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been literally dozens of threads about this. People are tired of seeing it on the forum.
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I just want to weigh in with my 2-cents...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What were you expecting, posting this in the Android: Netrunner forums? People who agree with you and dislike this game and LCGs? Are you surprised?

I'm sure you'd have received better responses if you had posted this on...
Customizable Games forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4667/customizabl...
OR
Fantasy Flight Games forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17/fantasy-f...

...instead of being a contrarian in the Hotness party.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
There have been literally dozens of threads about this. People are tired of seeing it on the forum.


I did my best to look, but there are 60 + threads, many of which are titled in a manner that in no way gives a browser an accurate preview of the content of that thread. My title, however, should give anyone an instantly clear picture of what the content of this thread was. So, if people truly are being rude because they are sick of reading these threads, why did they open the thread knowing what the content would be? And if someone wanted to be polite, they would point out the other threads by linking to them instead of being sarcastic and generally cantankerous while offering no substance to the thread.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
What were you expecting, posting this in the Android: Netrunner forums? People who agree with you and dislike this game and LCGs? Are you surprised?

I'm sure you'd have received better responses if you had posted this on...
Customizable Games forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4667/customizabl...
OR
Fantasy Flight Games forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17/fantasy-f...

...instead of being a contrarian in the Hotness party.


Or it could have just been added to one of the several other threads dedicated to this subject. It didn't need it's own thread...again.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
I welcome anyone who disagrees with me, but a modicum of respect and cordiality would also be appreciated along with any disagreement.


But what if my way of expressing free speech is in the form of puerile humor that includes idiotic images found on the web?

Daniel Tosh has done quite well for himself using this sort of topical commentary...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
What were you expecting, posting this in the Android: Netrunner forums? People who agree with you and dislike this game and LCGs? Are you surprised?

I'm sure you'd have received better responses if you had posted this on...
Customizable Games forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4667/customizabl...
OR
Fantasy Flight Games forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17/fantasy-f...

...instead of being a contrarian in the Hotness party.


I tell you what David, I am absolutely and immensely grateful that your position on contrarian opinions is not one held by the people who have mattered in the history of this great country we live in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the
!


12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
dond80 wrote:
I welcome anyone who disagrees with me, but a modicum of respect and cordiality would also be appreciated along with any disagreement.


But what if my way of expressing free speech is in the form of puerile humor that includes idiotic images found on the web?

Daniel Tosh has done quite well for himself using this sort of topical commentary...


As I stated above, I would not appreciate it. That clearly doesn't mean I want to prevent you from doing it, I am a pretty staunch defender of free speech. However, I am simply musing that it would be nice if this community treated one another as brothers and sisters instead of like members of a rival gang.

There are times Im ashamed to be associated with this site. This thread is one of those times. And the worst part is, after gaming for so long with so many people, I KNOW gamers are more intellectually accepting than this AND are substantially nicer than this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one, didn't open the thread based on its title. I opened it because it came up when I hit the *next* button on my subscriptions.

People are giving you a hard time because by now, we can recite your argument, the counter-argument, your rebuttal, the counter-rebuttal, the tension-relieving joke, the nonfactual ad hominems, and the descent into incoherence, followed by the next person posting the same argument in a new thread.

We've done it all before. Lots of times.

That's why people aren't inclined to take your thread seriously.
35 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I am happy with the lumpy distribution. Why? because the out of box experience is fantastic and is directly responsible for my wife being super excited about playing this game again. Furthermore, there are so many matches right out of the box to play around with I've got tons of `game' for a really low price - and that's before we get into customization (which helped to justify to my wife the purchase in the first place).

Your position overlooks the all important consideration of out of the box experience. If all cards were 1x then the precons would ... suck (or require you to buy 3 boxes and build and you don't get precons). If all cards were 3x the box price would skyrocket (and I already found it quite expensive) *and* the ease of slamming together two piles of cards to form a precon and play would be totally eliminated.

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, I will attempt to directly address your original post.

FFG has said that they focus more on the out-of-box experience with their core sets, rather than avid collectors who want a complete playset. They want players to have a fantastic experience when they pick the game up and try it out, rather than wade through cards and try and build decks that work well. I feel Netrunner does a fantastic job of creating 7 decks that are immediately playable, all of which help train their players on how to build useable and effective decks.

If you were to purchase a box of 3-of-each card, it would be more difficult for a new user to pick up the game and play upon opening the box. Sure, they could include suggested card lists with the game for 'starter decks', but I'm very happy with the way this game has been released. Having purchased 2 copies, the only reason I would buy a 3rd copy would be to have even more constructive decks ready to play, rather than having to re-construct my decks. The cards that are 1-of cards in the set I don't feel a need to put 3-of in a deck, as they are unique cards.


The 'lumpy distribution' is an intended part of the product. If a player just wants to try out the game, buy one copy, open it up, and have fun. If that same player then wishes to do more deckbuilding, buy a second copy, open it up, and have more fun. Done. If this isn't for you, I can't argue on that topic. You alone know your gaming preferences.


That's my 2 cents. Take them for what you will. As for the rest of the posts in this thread, they're commenting on the fact that this topic has been created to death by many, many, many other users. Searching 'lumpy distribution' in the Netrunner forums brings up dozens of threads started by others about this very topic. Your original post was simply stating your opinion - all the users after you did the exact same thing... just with fewer words.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
This is a CONTINUAL problem with FFG and their LCGs and I've had enough of it.


OK, I'll bite.

This is such a CONTINUAL problem, that not only does FFG continue to do it, but each LCG is more successful than the last.

Is it possible that the reason for a lumpy distribution is that it pleases a larger segment of the population than just the hardcore collectors (who pay up for the extra cores anyway)?
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalPhalanx wrote:
selwyth wrote:
What were you expecting, posting this in the Android: Netrunner forums? People who agree with you and dislike this game and LCGs? Are you surprised?

I'm sure you'd have received better responses if you had posted this on...
Customizable Games forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4667/customizabl...
OR
Fantasy Flight Games forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17/fantasy-f...

...instead of being a contrarian in the Hotness party.


Or it could have just been added to one of the several other threads dedicated to this subject. It didn't need it's own thread...again.


There are 687 threads as of right now made about this game. 6-8-7. I spent the last 20 minutes going through the titles of every one and opened up any thread that looked remotely similar to this topic. Most of those threads were asking questions about the card distribution without offering any opinion what so ever. Two of the threads offered an opinion. Both of those opinions were positive in nature, one of them offered a solution to the potential problem; a solution that was not the solution I offered in this thread. Both of those threads were at nearly the end of the forums. So, 2 threads out of 687 that are of a similar nature to mine and are buried underneath hundreds of other threads warrants this response? Seems logical.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
dond80 wrote:
This is a CONTINUAL problem with FFG and their LCGs and I've had enough of it.


OK, I'll bite.

This is such a CONTINUAL problem, that not only does FFG continue to do it, but each LCG is more successful than the last.

Is it possible that the reason for a lumpy distribution is that it pleases a larger segment of the population than just the hardcore collectors (who pay up for the extra cores anyway)?


Scott, thanks for your substantive response. I am certainly willing to concede your post as a possibility. I think, however, that we can't dismiss the possibility that the practice continues on in spite of being a bad practice because of the lack of desire by the consumer base to be heard. There is no way of knowing what the reality is, your explanation could very well be reality.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
FinalPhalanx wrote:
selwyth wrote:
What were you expecting, posting this in the Android: Netrunner forums? People who agree with you and dislike this game and LCGs? Are you surprised?

I'm sure you'd have received better responses if you had posted this on...
Customizable Games forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4667/customizabl...
OR
Fantasy Flight Games forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17/fantasy-f...

...instead of being a contrarian in the Hotness party.


Or it could have just been added to one of the several other threads dedicated to this subject. It didn't need it's own thread...again.


There are 687 threads as of right now made about this game. 6-8-7. I spent the last 20 minutes going through the titles of every one and opened up any thread that looked remotely similar to this topic. Most of those threads were asking questions about the card distribution without offering any opinion what so ever. Two of the threads offered an opinion. Both of those opinions were positive in nature, one of them offered a solution to the potential problem; a solution that was not the solution I offered in this thread. Both of those threads were at nearly the end of the forums. So, 2 threads out of 687 that are of a similar nature to mine and are buried underneath hundreds of other threads warrants this response? Seems logical.

Search...

And you shall find.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.