Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help me choose a game for a friend's bday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, I got my friends (they're married) a game for their engagement. Don't worry, I got them a dustbuster for the wedding.

Its my friend's bday on Oct 6th, what game shall I get him. Anyone got any recommendations?

I bought them 7 Wonders and they loved it.

I am thinking about Dominion, but they already have A Game of Thrones: The Card Game. Is there enough difference in these to warrant the purchase?

And the above are all card games...I'm thinking perhaps a BOARDgame might be fun for them... Which game do you think they'd enjoy?

They don't mind dice as long as the game doesn't totally rely on dice as a luck mechanism.

I think they might enjoy some of the less "dry" Euros...but could possibly like something less Euro, as they LOVE playing my copy of Can't Stop.

So they are pretty much open to almost anything. Thoughts? They are also fans of D&D...perhaps Lords of Waterdeep?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is very different from A Game of Thrones card game, so don't worry about that. They might also like Thunderstone, which is similar to Dominion with a touch more D&D'ness.

Personally, I think you guys should just get it over with and get one of the major worker placement games like Agricola, Le Havre, or Puerto Rico, rather than one of the "gateway" euro worker placement games like Lords of Waterdeep. It'll take an evening to wrap your brain around, but once you do, there's no turning back.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest perhaps Airlines Europe. Its similar to Ticket To Ride (same designer) but a step up from TtR. It has a simple stock mechanism with it. When you add an airport to an airline company, the stock of that company goes up. You are also trying to collect stocks in the most valuable companies. It has very simple rules and the choices you make each turn are very easy to understand, but the choices you make are very important and at times tough to make. It has just the right amount of interaction without getting nasty. Also, the board and pieces are quite impressive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Dominion is very different from A Game of Thrones card game, so don't worry about that. They might also like Thunderstone, which is similar to Dominion with a touch more D&D'ness.

Personally, I think you guys should just get it over with and get one of the major worker placement games like Agricola, Le Havre, or Puerto Rico, rather than one of the "gateway" euro worker placement games like Lords of Waterdeep. It'll take an evening to wrap your brain around, but once you do, there's no turning back.



Haha...go big or go home? I actually own Puerto Rico, so I'll be introducing the group to it soon.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice & Mystics! (You still have two more days to take advantage of the pre-order offer...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Classicsmiley wrote:
Mice & Mystics! (You still have two more days to take advantage of the pre-order offer...)


Ooooooh. Might look into that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
Classicsmiley wrote:
Mice & Mystics! (You still have two more days to take advantage of the pre-order offer...)


Ooooooh. Might look into that.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like dice, as long as the game doesn't totally rely on it -- as in there is nothing but luck -- I would try Alien Frontiers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
If they like dice, as long as the game doesn't totally rely on it -- as in there is nothing but luck -- I would try Alien Frontiers.


Yes, I'd recommend some dice placement like AF, or Stone Age, or especially Kingsburg.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
lacreighton wrote:
If they like dice, as long as the game doesn't totally rely on it -- as in there is nothing but luck -- I would try Alien Frontiers.


Yes, I'd recommend some dice placement like AF, or Stone Age, or especially Kingsburg.


I bought them Alien Frontiers. Now I just need the strength to hand it over once it arrives to my door...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.