Subject: ChitChatters, I need your help! Which to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
For her birthday I got my daughter a nexus 7 and paid an extra $13 for a USB keyboard/carrying case. If you want to record lectures and are OK with only wifi as your internet access, then it's a great tablet. It is also good for watching movies (although it has no HDMI out so you need to watch on the little screen) and reading books.

I got the keyboard because part of my motivation was give her a way to write papers for school without having to borrow my computer every time. She hasn't had to write a paper yet, but we've tested writing and printing small documents (I hooked our printer into her google account), and it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
hold out and see what the ipad mini is going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bit of buzz about Google being set to release a $99 tablet by year's end. Not sure how it would compare to the ipad, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Phil of Mars wrote:

I'm imagining Apple releasing an iPad mini and an iPod maxi and then waiting to see if anyone notices that they're the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

I'm imagining Apple releasing an iPad mini and an iPod maxi and then waiting to see if anyone notices that they're the same thing.

Maxi-ipads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Phil of Mars wrote:

I bet it will still be more expensive than the Nexus 7. I'd guess 300-350...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Several of my students have iPads with a stylus and love them. They take notes on them and view figures in the textbook in them during class, too.

I would not wait for the iPod mini, if indeed such a thing is coming out soon, because I think the screen would be too small to be practical.

I know you say you can't really afford a more expensive tablet, but you should get the tablet that is right for the things you need it for. I would think the best way to waste money is to save $100 but have a product that doesn't have the functionality you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
amwiles wrote:

I would not wait for the iPod mini, if indeed such a thing is coming out soon, because I think the screen would be too small to be practical.

Assuming you mean the rumored iPad mini with the supposedly 7.85 inch screen size how is that too small to be practical? It is still slightly bigger than the Nexus 7!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion or Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Assuming you mean the rumored iPad mini with the supposedly 7.85 inch screen size how is that too small to be practical? It is still slightly bigger than the Nexus 7!

I think that's too small to really read a textbook on and take notes on. To read texts with figures, you really need to see the text and figure at the same time. To do that on a small screen is not practical -- if the image is shrunk enough to all fit on the screen, it will be too small to be read.

I don't actually know anything about the iPad mini. The first I heard of it was this thread. If the Nexus 7 is that small, I don't think it would be a good size for textbook reading. Lecture slides, I don't know. I guess it depends on the way the prof prepares them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.