Ricochet Rock Jockeys» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colony demand and replenishment question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Joly
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just played this with my son and had a really good time. Mostly we had trouble remembering which of our ships we were supposed to use on a turn.

I have a question about deliveries. "Remove a number of appropriate Goods from your Ship, and remove 1 Customer from the World." Does this mean the necessary goods for a Colony decrements by 1 after each delivery? What happens when it gets to zero? This didn't make sense to me, so we left the Customers on the worlds and pulled from Earth for our delivery counters.

And the Colonies rule: "If at any time you are unable to fully replenish a Colony's demand, simply place all remaining Customers on that planet and Earth will no longer accept Deliveries." Replenish what? Goods? Customers? When will this ever happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read through the rules last night and played a sample 4-player game by myself. Here is how I would answer your questions:

1. The rules seem pretty clear: you remove one customer token from a colony for each delivery to that colony. Yes, this makes deliveries to the colony easier as more deliveries happen. It also means each colony accepts a finite number of deliveries (1-4, depending on the card drawn when the colony is discovered). Once the final customer token has been removed from a colony, no more deliveries are possible to that colony.

2. If players have been making a lot of deliveries to Earth before the other colonies have been discovered, it's possible to not have enough customer tokens on Earth when a colony is discovered. For example, if there are only 3 customer tokens on Earth when a colony is discovered, and you draw a '4' card to populate the colony, you can't take 4 customer tokens from Earth. Therefore, you'd take the remaining 3 customer tokens from Earth and place them on the colony. Since there are no more customer tokens on Earth, it will no longer accept deliveries.

I hope this is correct. Hopefully Wombat or someone else from BFR Games will chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Joly
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
That makes sense. It was the "replenish" wording under colonies that threw me. Doesn't seem like the right usage of the word. Changing "fuly replenish a Colony's demand" to "fully colonize a newly discovered colony" would be a lot more clear, to me, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Radabaugh
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
I just played a quick game by myself and ran into the same questions. I agree that it could be clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wombat Sanders
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hm. There seems to be a missing rule on the cards. I've made a note of this for updating the instructions.

Matt's interpretation is correct except that once a Colony runs out, a new card should be drawn to replenish its demand.

Make delivery
Take one Customer
If there are no Customers on a Colony, draw a new card as though you had just discovered the Colony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombatsanders wrote:
Hm. There seems to be a missing rule on the cards. I've made a note of this for updating the instructions.

Matt's interpretation is correct except that once a Colony runs out, a new card should be drawn to replenish its demand.

Make delivery
Take one Customer
If there are no Customers on a Colony, draw a new card as though you had just discovered the Colony

I'm very glad to hear this. We've just played our first game, and played as Matt above said, and this did make the game feel less interesting once all the colonies had emptied. I look forward to our next play, with replenishing colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.