BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Any love for the BattleCON iOS app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
After 4 years, my razor flip phone finally bit the dust and I conformed with the masses to buy my first iPhone. That aside, I was excited to be able to get the BattleCON app so I could play the game more than I do now. So far, I have not been able to connect with anyone at all, checking at different times of the day. It appears that this game is completely abandoned. Is this a flaw in the app, or is no one playing it anymore?

I am considering pulling a move like Will Smith's character in I Am Legend:

My name is [Joel Gardner].
I am a survivor living in [Salt Lake] City.
I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies.
I will be at the [BattleCON iOS network lobby searching for players] every [week]day at midday when the sun is highest in the sky (12pm MDT).
If you are out there...
If anyone is out there...
I can provide [epic duels].
I can provide [sportsmanship].
I can provide [BattleCON gaming].
If there's anybody out there... anybody... please.
You are not alone.

Tell me if anyone is interested. I just set that time arbitrarily, so give some feedback if another time works better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would totally be playing basically ALL the TIME, but I lack an iOS device. In fact, this game is the only reason I have ever seriously considered getting a smart phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is incredibly well designed and a ton of fun, but the reason you can never find anyone to play with is because everyone abandoned it because of how crazy buggy it is, and the fact that is hasn't been updated since release to fix the problems. It's so frustrating.

You can't play as Cadenza online, he freezes the game as soon as he gets "stunned". Considering there are only 4 characters, and he's a fan-favorite and noob-friendly character, this is major.

The app crashes so much for everyone I know. About 25%-35% of games has the app crash or close in some way before completion, this is super annoying online. Especially since a player can crash or bail on a game at the end when they're losing with no penalty, and no victory for the other player.

The Gamecenter/connection fails SO often also, not sure if that's a consequence of the other player's app crashing, or just problems with the connection in general. There's no pick-up option if you lose connection.

Also the leaderboard is totally effed up, even though this doesn't matter much.

^This is all coming from the person who has played and won the most games on the BattleCON iOS app. I rarely even play it anymore, we all switched to Vassal because it's so much more reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted the new version to the app store today, so hopefully it will be working soon.

The problem with the original (aside from Cadenza) was mainly memory issues--the app used too many textures, and we had to come up with some new ways to get the same amount of graphical action using less texture memory. The new version also has much smoother animations, due to the reduced memory footprint.

My apologies to everyone who's had trouble with the first iteration of the app. This first update should leave a much better impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Sweet! I look forward to the new update. Thank you for delivering once again Dr Talton!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Syncitia wrote:
Sweet! I look forward to the new update. Thank you for delivering once again Dr Talton!

But I'm not a doctor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artifice Knight
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
He's a real doctor! From America!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Not only is he a real doctor, he's a dashing special agent with a P.h.D. in KICKING YOUR ASS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HICKORY WHAT? SMOKED WHAT???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
I just submitted the new version to the app store today, so hopefully it will be working soon.

Yay! So excited!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadav Abramovitz
Israel
Ramat Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Syncitia wrote:

But I'm not a doctor!

Not sure if it was asked before, but any chance for an Android version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tpek wrote:
Not sure if it was asked before, but any chance for an Android version?

Maybe eventually hopefully don't hold your breath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corroyeur
Germany
München
N/A
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a pack to unlock all characters at once this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Corroyeur wrote:
Will there be a pack to unlock all characters at once this time?

I'm still working out exactly how to make that work for people who have already bought the individual characters--I want to make sure that no one gets double-charged, but it doesn't seem like apple really has a 'batch purchase' capability where some things can already be bought and some not.

So short answer, for this version, no

But, there is a 'restore button' now, so you only have to buy them once, and then you can get them all easily on all your different devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the ios characters the same as the physical game characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastspinecho wrote:
Are the ios characters the same as the physical game characters?

Correct.

A couple of chaacters are from the upcoming expansion, and thus not in hardcopy yet, but they are the same as what will be published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Skull
msg tools
Good news! The update is out. It runs a LOT smoother.

Bad news. It still crashes, now 100% of the time I try to invoke Game Center and during vs. CPU play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSkull wrote:
Good news! The update is out. It runs a LOT smoother.

Bad news. It still crashes, now 100% of the time I try to invoke Game Center and during vs. CPU play as well.
Bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
It crashes 100% of the time when you try to open gamecenter while fighting the CPU, or in either of those two cases? Can you send me a geekmail with more info about the problem and about your device? I really want to get this thing working right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on the right track, but still more issues...

1: I am fighting Eligor in Arcade mode. I have no clue what his tokens are for. I can't find out?

2: you can't come back to an arcade mode in progress!?!? I beat the vampire guy on timeout by one lifepoint (pretty epic) and came back later and there was no option to continue!

3: it's just not clear what is happening sometimes. Make the relevant text on the card flash blue when it happens or something, I don't know. There is also no game message when you clash, you just have to figure it out by understanding what the hell is supposed to be going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I expect the next update to come along more quickly than this one. I'll be working on more of the usability/interface and making it clearer how the game systems actually work.

You should be able to learn about all the new characters in the Guidebook.

Also, I've figured out the gamecenter issues and submitted a hotfix today. Expect those to be back online in a week or sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Skull
msg tools
A way to zoom the character/super cards would be nice. I don't think those show on the pause roulette. I love the materializing super/cancel card thingie but it would be nice to pull those outside that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapil Kumar
msg tools
I really hope you're able to resolve the online issue and any remaining stability issues. I'm really enjoying the game but being unable to play online is delaying my decision to buy new characters. Also, I finished the arcade mode and was expecting something more after finishing it. Maybe one character unlock, something you could think of as a new free default character added to the base four with the update? An achievement would be nice too. Finally, on the iPad there's an issue of zoomed cards from discards not going back to their normal state if you touch a card in your tray, and the touch zone for the second discard piles is very small.

I'm assuming async is never going to be an option for this game since there are so many points which require action from both players in a single beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
onlyphoenix wrote:
I'm assuming async is never going to be an option for this game since there are so many points which require action from both players in a single beat.

It really wouldn't make much sense, no

We do have an interface installed to save and resume local and arcade games though--it just wasn't quite ready for this release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berjerber Sanchez
United States
California
flag msg tools
in the first version, i could complete a game vs ai and there was probably a 20% chance the game would fail if i did not enable the special action cards (50% with them since the ai couldn't handle being able to cancel and would freeze). now i'm batting a 20% completion rate due to crashes. the app is what got me hooked the first time though.

on an unrelated note, is it possible to get the soundtrack for the app? whenever i hear part of it i get that warm feeling of nostalgia from the first time i played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.