Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul hasn't played much Dungeon Command, but he was willing to sit down with me and play my adventurer warband as I took the new Tyranny of Goblins set through its paces. One thing is certain: I delighted in the challenge of the new figures and cards in the set. It's very odd to look at Tyranny, because the cards seem so unfocused, with a wide range of abilities being covered. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to take some cards from the other two sets to properly make my goblin horde work properly. For the moment, I used parts of THREE sets to make this horde.

Four goblin cutters, three goblin archers. Yes, that's four level one goblins. To that I added two hobgoblin sorcerers, two goblin champions and one Bugbear Berserker to make the warband. The berserker, as it turned out, was probably a mistake: he doesn't do enough damage.

Still, I was eager to experiment with this warband. I played Snig the Axe as my commander; he's got a good sized creature hand, and this warband could deploy a lot of goblins very quickly. A Hobgoblin Sorcerer, two Goblin Cutters and one Goblin Archer were soon moving into the dungeon in search of the invading adventurers: A Dragon Knight and a Half-Orc Thug.

Paul used his Half-Orc's explosive bolts to clean out some of my goblins, which I'd made the mistake of leaving too close to each other, so I deployed a Goblin Champion and used the archer and the sorcerer to return fire. The Sorcerer really likes having easy access to a magic circle, but I don't like the tile that the goblins have in their starting pack - mainly because the location of the difficult terrain interferes too much with their mobility.

Paul retreated the Thug back, and instead moved his Dragon Knight up. It did not survive the experience, as my goblins jumped onto it with the aid of the Battle Cry card (+10 damage for all goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears; Cha 3), which affects every creature in my warband. Paul deployed a Dwarven Defender, and his Thug moved into its protective aura.

The Defender wasn't enough to save it from my goblins, though, and so Paul had to plan a new assault. A Dwarf Cleric seemed like a good idea, especially paired with a Dwarven Defender, but Paul probably moved his first defender up a little too much.

The doors to the goblin's magic circle room proved a difficult tactical puzzle - and with the defender beside them, my archers and ranged sorcerer weren't quite so effective.

Paul felt he needed more morale, and so disengaged with his Defender and moved all his forces towards the goblin rooms where treasure chests still lingered, undisturbed. Unfortunately, Paul decided to summon a Human Wizard on a magic circle near my goblins, and I was easily able to dispatch it and thus end the game.

It had been very much a learning experience for Paul... our next game would be closer. Much closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.