Popular Tags: [View All]
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us say I aerobrake down to Mars with the buggy and prospect the two 4 wt sights with my crew card..later I bring a robonaut and refinery to mars and prospect /industrialize landing at the other 3 wt spot ... does the outpost crew card coalesce at will since it can drive over or are they stuck to the spot they previously aerobraked too?

We let them coalesce since the buggy is all terrain... but would like some confirmation from others ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Driving along the dashed yellow lines is considered movement, so you do have to actually move one stack to the other before you can combine them.

The buggy basically just saves you the fuel that would normally be needed to make a sub-orbital hop from one site to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so the buggy acts as a rocket move sounds good enough ... after the refinery dropped in and industrialized, buggy easily could be the "rocket" for the next few turns.... I'll go with that unless there's a better idea thanks for input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in the rules it says that any stack with a buggy can move along yellow lines. It doesn't have to be a rocket. However, any stack exchanges have to be outside the movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
Somewhere in the rules it says that any stack with a buggy can move along yellow lines. It doesn't have to be a rocket. However, any stack exchanges have to be outside the movement phase.

The exact spot in the most recent living rules is section 6.4.D.2 "Suborbital Hop": "If your rocket or outpost stack includes a buggy, you may move the stack along the dashed yellow line without spending fuel."

And just for reference, section 6.2 says "A rocket move takes your rocket figure from space to space, along connected routes, until you choose to stop or land" - which means that you can't fly a rocket with a buggy to Mars, land on the Arsia Mons Caves spot, and then drive to Hellas Basin or the North Pole in one move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so now I like this better .. burn to Mars land thru the aerobrake hazard to the caves.. on the next turn drive rocket stack with refinery and buggy robonaut to the north pole and prospect... at the north pole next turn industrialize ...next turn build product ,, then next turn refill ... 6 turns to get that out of there ... five player game 30 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdunn wrote:
on the next turn drive rocket stack with refinery and buggy robonaut to the north pole and prospect...

Just a rules point -- during a prospect operation, a buggy can prospect all sites connected by yellow lines. In other words, it's possible to land, and then prospect all sites in the same turn. (What is not possible is to land, then move your buggy on the yellow lines during the same turn.)

chuckdunn wrote:
6 turns to get that out of there ... five player game 30 years

I thought a round was one year, rather than a player's turn. (Or, rather, all players' turns happen simultanneously thematically, more or less.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah but Rus they can prospect all sights connected in one turn but does it really say in one turn ? I've played it both ways seems ideal for the UN player as they then get 3 WT.. seems a stretch to circumnavigate the surface of Mars in one little year ... and yes seems to be one year per round of turns so five people go and one year passes ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdunn wrote:
they can prospect all sights connected in one turn but does it really say in one turn ?

Section 5.6.B, third bullet point: "Buggy Prospecting. Using a buggy allows two attempts for a successful prospecting roll with one prospect operation. Alternately, if on Mars, Europa, Io, Ganymede, Callisto, or Titan, you may prospect all the hexes linked by the dashed yellow line (indicating a "buggy road") with one prospect operation."

So yes, you can really do it in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seems overpowered but yes the whole enchilada in one year thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's more or less "overpowered" than the ability to prospect as many as ten asteroids in one turn with a raygun robonaut...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
My memory might be playing tricks at me, but is there a rule that, during your turn, allows you to take back your claim disks (i.e. meaning one would have to make a prospecting operation again in order to claim it)? I have the impression I read that somewhere...

If that is permissible, let me put a cheeeesy question:

If you can abandon your claims (and retrieve your disks) at any time during your turn, do the rules allow ONU with a flywheel tractor buggy robonaut (ISRU 3) on Mars to:

1) Claim the whole martian enchilada: ONU's ability grants it 3 WT for three claimed sites ("gains 1 WT every time any player places a claim or establishes a factory") .

2) Next turn, take back your disks and claim again all three sites again and ONU's ability = +3 WT

3) Rinse and repeat at every turn?

I hope my memory or logic is faulty in that example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
My memory might be playing tricks at me, but is there a rule that, during your turn, allows you to take back your claim disks (i.e. meaning one would have to make a prospecting operation again in order to claim it)? I have the impression I read that somewhere...
You can remove cubes from the glory spaces if you need them for a new factory, but I can't find anything that addresses the claim discs. It's safe to assume that you're allowed to remove previous claim discs when you need one for a new site (or an outpost), but I don't think you can simply remove them at will - specifically to prevent a cheesy tactic like that with the UN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Thanks, I must have mixed up with the cubes rule. I really didn't want the possibility of that cheesy maneuver either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
Thanks, I must have mixed up with the cubes rule. I really didn't want the possibility of that cheesy maneuver either.

Technically speaking you can still do cheesy things since if you have an oupost on Mars, combined with say a rocket with a raygun over Ganymede, you could alternate claim-spotting for 2 WT each turn.

To me, the proper way to completely close the loophole is to only grant the UN taxes on claims placed from a player's available disks, a disk displacement shouldn't allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.