Popular Tags: [View All]
Eran Giloh
Israel
Tel-Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm looking for a game that:

1. Provides multiple paths to victory - or at least requires multi-dimensional thinking.
2. Supports 5 players.
3. With general expected play-time of up to 40 min WITH NEWBIES (serious, smart & competitive ones though!).
4. Does NOT have a core social gameplay.

Only one I found so far that seems to fit is Samarkand: Routes to Riches.

It seems that there are a few games with 45 min play time, and some games with 30-60 min playtime - which is too variable for me.

Anymore ideas will be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra
Race for the Galaxy
Meuterer (4p)
Modern Art: The Card Game
King of Siam (2-4p)
Pizarro & Co
Notre Dame
Hansa Teutonica
High Society (maybe 20 min)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What do you mean by "with Newbies"? 40 minutes including explaining the rules? It might be hard to find a game that feels like aproper euro which could do this. I also have to strongly disagree with Race for the galaxy; while a game with experienced can definitely be over after less than 30 minutes, that does not mean that anyone new to the game would even understand the symbols on the cards. It's a great and quick game, but just if you know the game already.

My idea whould be 7 Wonders, the rules are really easy and you can play it with up to 7 players definitely in 40 minutes; the first round might take 50 or so including explainig the rules and answering questions. Don't expect a deep game though

If you extend your time limit to let's say 60 minutes, there are more choices, Strasbourg comes to my mind first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizarro & Co.
+1 7 Wonders
Tsuro, Piece of Cake, and No Thanks fit the time and players, but are probably too light. Glory to Rome is a tad too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eran Giloh
Israel
Tel-Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cheers.

My restrictions are strict :-).
The game is supposed to be used in an activity, not casual gaming.

5 Players. 40 Min play time. Another additional few minutes to explain the game are OK.
Newbies = people seeing & playing the game first time. With no prior board gaming experience... but like I said, it should not be family fare, the players will be up to some mental challenge!

It doesn't have to be a Euro; it should require players to keep track of different types of information for decision making. This is what I call multi-dimensional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
+1 King of Siam

Maybe Through the Desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a euro eh? King of Tokyo then. While theme may be funny, the fact that you keep track of health, victory points, plus the cards, and use that info to process how you manage the dice means there is thought involved.

There are also 2 paths to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More EASILY fits your description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Glen More EASILY fits your description.

Also thought of this, but can it finish in 40 minutes with 5 noobs?

Doesn't Dominion + Dominion: Intrigue support play up to 6 players? This may fit as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
jjloc wrote:
+1 King of Siam

Through the Desert is the best suggestion yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China / Web of Power

Done and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommending someone new to boardgaming plays race for the galaxy, even Ra, in a one-off, 40 minute session is frankly ridiculous.

In fact, if the group is new(ish) to games it will take much longer than 40 mins to get the game rolling. If this is meant to be a one-shot activity in which everyone will get something out of it then got for Dominion, or maybe (maybe) San Juan if you really want to throw in a one-session challenge.

If the group is going to regularly play games then you can shuffle forward to San Juan after a game or two of Dominion, and then after three or four games with San Juan maybe move onto a full-blown cube-fest like Notre Dame. Don't just throw a Euro on the table and expect it to be played in 40 mins because it says it on the box.

I would recommend giving the group the rules for Dominion before playing for 40 mins - ie a day or two before, then discuss any unclear aspects. Also have a couple of dummy games where it doesn't matter if people make mistakes, take back moves etc.

If the group is red hot at learning fast then you could even give the rules for, say, Notre Dame, a week prior to the session and play as described above with dummy games etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Rheinländer
Paris Connection
Kingdom Builder -- up to four players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
China / Web of Power

Done and done.

Indeed; most (if not all) of Schacht's work fits the bill here, perhaps with the exception of the required number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I wouldn't recommend WoP/China with five. Nor with four, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
Recommending someone new to boardgaming plays race for the galaxy, even Ra, in a one-off, 40 minute session is frankly ridiculous.

In fact, if the group is new(ish) to games it will take much longer than 40 mins to get the game rolling. If this is meant to be a one-shot activity in which everyone will get something out of it then got for Dominion, or maybe (maybe) San Juan if you really want to throw in a one-session challenge.

If the group is going to regularly play games then you can shuffle forward to San Juan after a game or two of Dominion, and then after three or four games with San Juan maybe move onto a full-blown cube-fest like Notre Dame. Don't just throw a Euro on the table and expect it to be played in 40 mins because it says it on the box.

I would recommend giving the group the rules for Dominion before playing for 40 mins - ie a day or two before, then discuss any unclear aspects. Also have a couple of dummy games where it doesn't matter if people make mistakes, take back moves etc.

If the group is red hot at learning fast then you could even give the rules for, say, Notre Dame, a week prior to the session and play as described above with dummy games etc.

I agree. In fact I am apprehensive in that the group may be TURNED OFF by the said activity, since it isn't really the most optimal way to introduce "proper" eurogames. I hope this won't be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
40 minutes for new players is a tough ask. My group can do 7 Wonders, Dominion and Kingdom Builder (with Nomads) in 45 minutes, but there is no way you can put any of those in front of new players and expect that to happen.

I'll throw Coloretto out there. Simple to understand, will fit the time limit and has some agonising decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago de Cuba
Havana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why risk putting some of the group off? Start simple and crank it up a notch if they're jumping for joy.

Why not try Liar's Dice (don't even need to buy the game - just get dice), some basic card games, then maybe Coloretto, maybe Manhattan, maybe Dominion and wait to see what happens.

(edit: I really think San Juan might fit the bill here if they're a bright group to start with)

Fair enough, if they're complaining about it being to easy, they'll still have had fun and you can then throw Caylus on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
jjloc wrote:
+1 King of Siam

Perhaps. But its out of print and $350 if you want it new on amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hummmm.... Not sure about "proper" Euro ... but Metro supports up to 6 and even though the recommended play time is longer than your 45 min requirement, I think most of the games I have played, even with Newbies, have been under 40 min. Including set up, rules etc.

However we play the variant where you always have one tile in hand and then you draw one at the start of your turn and can then play either.

So even people who tend to A&P usually have at least one options they have been thinking about since their last turn at hand. And as the game board fills up there are less options to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
pfctsqr wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
jjloc wrote:
+1 King of Siam

Perhaps. But its out of print and $350 if you want it new on amazon.

I doubt the situation is so dire; FFG is probably just between printings.

In any event, the second OLGS I tried had a few copies: www.timewellspent.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
garygarison wrote:

Rheinlander still confuses me, Cary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
garygarison wrote:
I wouldn't recommend WoP/China with five. Nor with four, actually.

It's also far too confusing to expect new players to remember the rules after a few minutes of explanation if they've never played a modern game before. The concept of "majority house number" (or whatever it's called) will go over like a lead balloon and be forgotten in the first minute of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders If this is a one time experience for them, then this is way too much rules for the experience.
+1 Through the Desert

Cartagena might work.

There are different paths to victory depending on how you lay out the boards, so in some (rather reduced) sense you get a different path every game. And depending on the cards that are dealt, you have to do a good bit of look ahead. I do not know if this is a large component of what you call multi-demensional thinking. And make sure you play the 'more skill' as opposed to 'more luck' version of the game.

Urbania seems to fit your criteria, but it is only coming out on Oct 4th. So you'll have to wait 2 weeks before people can tell you if it is any fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.