Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul and my second game proved a much more challenging affair. This time, Paul was much more aware of the benefits of keeping the adventurers together (clerics and defenders make it a difficult warband to damage), and so - as I gathered my forces - Paul went looking for treasure.

I sent my archers towards his forces, and Paul retreated inside the room. My level-one goblins were now out in force. A War Wizard appeared inside a Magic Circle, and I moved to intercept it, splitting my forces - and it didn't survive long. Paul still needs to protect his War Wizards better.

Paul playing a Dragon Knight did change things, however. I moved up to face it, leaving the dwarves and the halfling behind: I needed some archers!

The Dragon Knight proved troublesome - Paul used it to slay a lot of my goblins very quickly, aided strongly by an Into the Fray card that allowed him to engage me more quickly than I expected, and then untapping it to slay both the archers. I deployed a Bugbear Berserker and moved it up, but found it really wasn't doing enough damage, especially with Paul using Intercept to prevent the damage and thus preventing it from untapping!

I then made the massive mistake of losing morale to protect the Bugbear. It wasn't worth the trade, and I eventually had to lose it to the Knight, and my morale was greatly hurt as a result. I pulled back my troops, as Paul sent a War Wizard around the side along with a Human Ranger. It was made more difficult for Paul because I'd returned a Hobgoblin Sorcerer back to the magic circle - and now all my goblins could tap to prevent 10 damage.

A Narrow Escape (Dex 1, prevent 20 damage) kept a goblin alive, and I was able to defeat the War Wizard. Another Dragon Knight moved up, and I knew it would be tough: I was on 2 Morale, and Paul was on 1!

Paul was not impressed as I played a Reinforcements card, shuffling my discard pile and hand together to form a new deck. I had gone through the deck entirely, so it was good to be able to draw creatures again!

Luckily, I was able to use Grovel (Any 1, lose 1 morale to prevent 30 damage) to keep my Sorcerer alive as the Dragon Knight hit it for 50 damage - and my goblins moved in to slay the Dwarf Cleric and take the victory. I feel I should have lost this game, if Paul had just been a little more aggressive towards the end. I was very lucky to take the victory.

The Bugbear Berserker wasn't worth it in this warband; it's much, much better with good Strength cards that do a lot of bonus damage (and thus allow its ability to function well). I've now replaced it with a Horned Devil.

Broken Weapons got used quite a bit: +30 damage for a penalty of -10 damage from then on is fine when you can Rally them away... or they're only on goblins!

The Charisma-based cards are occasionally quite challenging to use, as the order of activating creatures can work against their best use. I'm very much enjoying the new challenges of Tyranny of Goblins, and I look forward to experimenting more with the set in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on combining creatures from different sets for creating an unstoppable force?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jackson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
Any thoughts on combining creatures from different sets for creating an unstoppable force?

Not Merric, but I've tried a band with the Dwarf Cleric, Dragon Knight, and Feral Troll. (Only got two of each, so that's what I used.)

Very, very tanky. But slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice session report.

I actually took Rally out of my Gob deck since there are tons of those buff cards that remove all order cards then provide +10 dam or 10 block. These do what Rally does and then some. Of course they only work on creatures with CON.

I agree with you on the CHA cards, they are really great and present some interesting options... Death Sentence is great! They are hard to optimize though, like the Bugbear's ability, so frustrating sometimes.

I'm not loving the Gob army but I do like the Horned Devil, that thing is worth the 6 levels at least in the mid-to-late game. The Copper Dragon should take some notes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Szabadi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!
I'm enjoying these greatly while I'm waiting to get my copy into my hands... :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.