Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

XCOM: Enemy Unknown» Forums » General

Subject: As a tabletop RPG simulator... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or did anyone else think while playing "wow, this is a great engine to build a turn-based RPG off of..."

Being able to rotate the camera, seamlessly go indoors, and quickly move up and down in elevation... all would be great for simulating the tabletop experience.

All the other ones I've seen are so clunky and this is just so nice to see in action...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just you.


(The rest of us have no imagination, that is why we need to play video games)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when it's just me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I write the following with the understanding that I will likely come across as a know-it-all, but that is not my aim here.

All the things you mention are almost trivial to achieve in virtually all modern (semi)commercial 3D game engines (I'm only saying "virtually" as opposed to "literally" because I don't have experience with all of them), with the caveat of "provided you have relatively small areas, like in X-Com" in the case of indoor-outdoor transitions.

The problem here is (as so often) less one of technical difficulties, and more one of creating assets, such as good-looking tiles for the map, decent models for positioned objects (and of course textures for each), the map compositions for each, models, textures and animations for every actor/creature, and so on...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, I see. Well, I believe you have a good point with the "assets" issue.

Regarding the size of the area you are using, it seems like this would still work because a tabletop RPG like D&D usually limits the area for an "encounter" to be relatively small in scope, even though the overall setting/world is large (and that can be handled in a mega-map, kind of like the earlier Fallout games).

If there was a fantasy version of X-Com, where you had a small "squad" of adventurers doing turn-based tactical combat, I'd be thrilled!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
culturejam wrote:
Ahh, I see. Well, I believe you have a good point with the "assets" issue.

Regarding the size of the area you are using, it seems like this would still work because a tabletop RPG like D&D usually limits the area for an "encounter" to be relatively small in scope, even though the overall setting/world is large (and that can be handled in a mega-map, kind of like the earlier Fallout games).

If there was a fantasy version of X-Com, where you had a small "squad" of adventurers doing turn-based tactical combat, I'd be thrilled!

Something more like King's Bounty, maybe?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
culturejam wrote:
Ahh, I see. Well, I believe you have a good point with the "assets" issue.

Regarding the size of the area you are using, it seems like this would still work because a tabletop RPG like D&D usually limits the area for an "encounter" to be relatively small in scope, even though the overall setting/world is large (and that can be handled in a mega-map, kind of like the earlier Fallout games).

If there was a fantasy version of X-Com, where you had a small "squad" of adventurers doing turn-based tactical combat, I'd be thrilled!

Something more like King's Bounty, maybe?


King's bounty is just HoMM wearing a different dress. It's not tactical combat the way X-Com or Jagged Alliance is. But I get your point. I think the OP is looking for something more in the vein of a turn-based Neverwinter Nights. 3D Ultima IV
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
I think the OP is looking for something more in the vein of a turn-based Neverwinter Nights.


Yep, with nice X-Com graphics. I can't remember if Neverwinter Nights let you transition between different elevations...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if the new Shadowrun Returns game is like this I will be very happy.
http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
King's bounty is just HoMM wearing a different dress.


Actually, King's Bounty is the predecessor to HoMM. The new ones is a solid update to the original's gameplay, from what I remember.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there was a great game from last generation (PS2, Gamecube, original Xbox) called Gladius, developed by LucasArts. Really great kind of historical/fantasy mix with gladiators, mythical creatures, Roman units.

I enjoyed the hell out of it, but not many people played it. If you don't have one of the old systems it would be worth it to pick one up just to play this. It has turn based squad combat and a kind of strategic RPG map level, but not quite as much grand strategy and economics if I remember correctly. Damn, talking about it makes me want to go back and play it. Wish it was available for PC through GOG or something, but I don't think there was a PC version.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And Gladius had a mini-game type of combat. Some units required to press "A" as fast as possible to increase the damage. Or do a "golf swing" or something RockBand like... Fantastic game. A shame it never had a successor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Add it to VGG!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gladius
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
culturejam wrote:
Also, if the new Shadowrun Returns game is like this I will be very happy.
http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/


First video footage came out and its looking quite intriguing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
*sigh*

I so desperately want one of these 3D-engines for JA2 1.13.

shake
Without destructive terrain?! It really is an outdated engine Shadowrun will use. Blasting through walls with a storm cannon (or whatever they are called in English) was always a standard move in our campaigns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, that would be fantastic. Loved the Silent Storm engine.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Aye, that would be fantastic. Loved the Silent Storm engine.


thumbsup thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.