6 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: Survival Card - Tundra Count Bonus Points - WInner Takes All? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Some great discussion here. I may have missed this Q previously, or missed it in designer's notes, so apologies if that is the case. I have played this game 25+ times with 12 different players in 3-6 game formats. It is utterly brilliant.

Now that we think we are beginning to understand all the nuances we have just one real Q.

Why is the Survival Card tundra count a "winner takes all" bonus?

Surely, all species that adapt to the oncoming cooler conditions should get some kind of reward rather than just the animal with the most species in tundra. Did the play testers try cascading bonuses in tundra and if so why did they then opt for just one (potentially big) winner. (It may be just that we feel sorry for the second place tundra animal who has often expended much effort only to get zero, short-term, reward).

Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

Thanks Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If I were to hazard my own speculation it would be the potential for dramatic swings. When a player is competing for the Survival card, the fact that a big point haul can be snatched away makes for a more intense competition. If instead he/she can make do with second place and still walk away with some point for second place survival, then the competition is less intense.

Also, I imagine if there were more points up for grabs with Survival, and those points were more reliable, it would diminish the value of the non-tundra tiles. Domination might end up seeming like more trouble than its worth if instead there were consistent big points to be scored competing for 1st, 2nd, or whatever place on the tundra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current rule makes competing for Survival an interesting decision - sure, if no-one else is going for it, it's easy points, but if someone else is interested in competing for it, then you will both end up investing heavily in it.

If any investment in Survival meant some points, then it would be a no-brainer to put any spare resources into it.

It makes for a more interesting game when there are at least one or two strategies that only pay off when you commit heavily to them, in addition to an assortment of strategies where you can dabble and mix-and-match and still see a solid return.

Also, it's not entirely obvious how to score second-place-for-survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it as a small version of the classical Game Theory "Dollar Auction". Is even making a bid for these points worth it, if there is going to be a fight? If so, when does the expenditure of the fight become so prohibitive as to cripple your chance to win the overall game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon, Luke S. answered more or less how I would have (had I woken up earlier and beat him to the punch). Robert and Luke D. also offer valid insight.

How's that for lazy!

Glad you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also feel it stops players using the Glaciation action without having to think hard about it. Too many tundra tiles can have a big impact on the game.

Also, at least in our games, it is rare for any player to score too much from it. We simply won't let them which adds to the depth of the game in my opinion.

If it was not all or nothing the decisions would be less important and remove some of the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.