Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just discovered that the author of the game, Paolo Mori, has shared few days ago a variant for his game on an Italian board game forum. You can find his original post here: http://www.goblins.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi....

I'm reporting it here, as it gained quite some praise among the community, trying to stay faithful to the original writing. Please note that this is by no means an official variant, and it has been only proposed to fellow gamers to provide an (untested) alternative to the written influence numbers.

Quote:
"The Hook" variant

During the setup of each campaign, place one less booty token in each space of the ship (e.g. 4 tokens per day in a game with 5 players).

In place of the "missing" booty tokens, place a marker, a cube, whatever you want, to represent the "hook", a command symbol on every ship worth of its name.

You'll also need a larger marker or pawn to represent the first player. At the beginning of the game assign it randomly, or with an auction in doubloons.

During the dusk phase, when the booty gets looted, a player may decide to grab the hook instead of taking another token (let's say that the character has lost a hand in battle and he's been given a hook instead, a sign of respect... damn, it's even thematic!). The player who obtains the hook takes the first player marker as well.

Ties are resolved in clockwise order starting from the first player. (In other words it's like the first player's got 6 influence, the player on his left having 5, etc...)

If no one takes the hook, the first player marker remains where it is.

Hooks count as booty tokens to all intents and purposes.

Also an even more experimental variant for two players is provided:

Quote:
Experimental 2-Players "Hook" variant

In this case, place two booty tokens plus the hook in each space of the ship.

When it's your turn to loot, you can either take a booty token different from the hook, or take the hook and discard another booty token. (E.g. there's a chest worth 5, the hook and a cursed relic. I'm the first to choose. I can take the chest alone, or the hook and discard the chest...).

Personally I'm not convinced by the variant "as is", especially since the first player marker giving the highest tie-breaker is not always positive, and I'm also not really fond of games that give players bonuses based on seating position.

To address the first problem, two possible solutions would be:
1) the tied player closer to the first player decides if the assigned influence is increasing or decreasing with seating order for the round (e.g. player 1 is first player, player 2 is tied with player 3 and they both played a brute. Since player 2 is closer to the first player he gets to decide whether he will have the higher influence for the tie or the lower)
2) the player who takes the hook either gets the first player marker or passes it to another player of choice.

To address the seating order issue, one could use the colored flags to represent the order of influence and simply change the sequence when a player gets the hook (shifting only his flag up or down to the first or last place).

Anyway, hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephonSoul wrote:
I've just discovered that the author of the game, Paolo Mori, has shared few days ago a variant for his game on an Italian board game forum.

I'm reporting it here, as it gained quite some praise among the community, trying to stay faithful to the original writing.

Could you please direct me to the italian discussion?

Grazie
Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
ZephonSoul wrote:
I've just discovered that the author of the game, Paolo Mori, has shared few days ago a variant for his game on an Italian board game forum.

I'm reporting it here, as it gained quite some praise among the community, trying to stay faithful to the original writing.

Could you please direct me to the italian discussion?

Grazie
Geki
I've added the link in the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting us know about this.

I must say I don't like it - as you say someone gets an advantage simply due to their seating position. I can't see the problem with a random draw for position each time it happens.

If that's too luck based for some then bidding dubloons might be an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:

I must say I don't like it - as you say someone gets an advantage simply due to their seating position. I can't see the problem with a random draw for position each time it happens.

You're welcome!

Other variants like the ones you have proposed have been already shared by fellow geeks in other threads, like this one for instance. I think that eventually any kind of variant adds time overhead to the game compared to the built-in mechanic, so you have to figure out which version works better for you depending on the tastes of your gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Alessandro for translating and sharing my post on the Bgg community... but please note that this is in no way an official variant, but just a proposal made to some fellow italian gamers. At the moment I never had the chance to test it.

The idea behind this is not to give each player a 'tie breaking value' according to his strategical choices, but more of getting rid of the influence printed on the cards by making it more dynamic through the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:
Thanks to Alessandro for translating and sharing my post on the Bgg community... but please note that this is in no way an official variant, but just a proposal made to some fellow italian gamers. At the moment I never had the chance to test it.

The idea behind this is not to give each player a 'tie breaking value' according to his strategical choices, but more of getting rid of the influence printed on the cards by making it more dynamic through the course of the game.

You're very welcome Paolo, thanks for your great work with the community and cheers for your recent achievements!

I've added a "disclaimer" note in the OP underlining the fact that the variant isn't official and that it was proposed to provide an alternative to the influence numbers. I should have stressed that in the first place, my bad. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Seghillian wrote:

I'm also sceptical. I suspect that having one less booty tile every turn would not be a game-improving feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Seghillian wrote:

I'm also sceptical. I suspect that having one less booty tile every turn would not be a game-improving feature.

what if the player who takes the hook simply yields his priority and picks last this day? same number of tokens, with an extra hook that goes to whoever goes last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
what if the player who takes the hook simply yields his priority and picks last this day? same number of tokens, with an extra hook that goes to whoever goes last.

In this case taking the hook is not an option but rather a "consolation prize" for being the last one to loot. I prefer a variant that gives more options to players instead of less (the influence numbers already provide that with less complications), furthermore going with lower ranks to be the first during day actions is sometimes desirable: it would feel weird to give someone who played the lowest beggar (thus gaining a benefit) the hook as an additional prize IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephonSoul wrote:
johncraven wrote:

In this case taking the hook is not an option but rather a "consolation prize" for being the last one to loot. I prefer a variant that gives more options to players instead of less (the influence numbers already provide that with less complications), furthermore going with lower ranks to be the first during day actions is sometimes desirable: it would feel weird to give someone who played the lowest beggar (thus gaining a benefit) the hook as an additional prize IMHO.

the hook does not necessarily go to the last person though.

if you think last place + hook is a benefit over your current position, then you can take the hook right away. it doesn't always go to the person who picks last.

it's not really a consolation prize if anybody can take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
ZephonSoul wrote:
johncraven wrote:

the hook does not necessarily go to the last person though.

if you think last place + hook is a benefit over your current position, then you can take the hook right away. it doesn't always go to the person who picks last.

it's not really a consolation prize if anybody can take it.

Ok, got it, didn't get the whole picture right away. It may be another viable option to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of the variant as-is, but you could always go for the two-player version: booty = number of players + hook. You can choose to take the hook and discard a piece of booty, or take a piece of booty. This creates some rather interesting scenarios.

For example, part way through sunset there are two cursed treasures, jewels and the hook left. Three players are left to pick. The first player thinks about it ... if she takes the jewels, the one of the other players will surely take the hook to avoid a cursed treasure--probably the player who goes after her. She has to decide: does the player after her taking the hook benefit her? What if the next player takes it because the player after her wants a cursed treasure for some scheme (merchant, perhaps?), is that new tie-breaking order amenable? If neither is amenable, is it worth passing up the jewels to take the hook?

Further point of interest already mentioned: you don't always want to win ties. What if you want to take the tie-breaker now, but you want to be rid of it in the future? Well, that's too bad, unless you can convince someone else they want it. You have to think ahead. This could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.