Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed that there are no words on the geek about the FAQ published by the Italian Asterion Press on their site a few days ago. You can find the original announcement and link for download here: http://site.asterionpress.com/news.php?id=99.

Since the FAQ is only in Italian right now, I'll try to translate it so that everyone can read it before Asmodee releases an official English version.

Quote:
FAQ version 1.0
Q: Who wins in case of a tie at the end-game scoring?
A: The core rules allow the scenario of games ending with ties. If you're competitive players, you can nonetheless decide to break these ties declaring the player who obtained the most points in the final campaign as the winner.

Q: Can you explain the ability of the Cook?
A: Instead of taking one treasure you simply take 2 (as a consequence, another player may end up without treasures to take!).

Q: What if I have to pay but I don't have enough doubloons?
A: You'll wash the dishes in the storeroom! No no, nothing happens, you cannot go beyond zero doubloons.

Q: Are characters' abilities mandatory to use? Does this apply to the Merchant's as well?
A: Yes, using abilities is mandatory, provided it's not written otherwise on the card. This applies to the Merchant too: 2 or 3 booty tokens have to be exchanged. Thus negative exchanges can occur (e.g. exchanging 3 chests for 3 doubloons: the merchant's got definitely fooled!).

Q: Does the Brute discard himself if he is the highest ranked character played on the ship?
A: Yes (in the heat of the moment he probably stumbled falling down in the sea...).

Q: When exactly are characters moved to a player's den?
A: Every character goes to the den right after the player takes his/her booty token in the dusk phase (thus he can be targeted by sabers played by other players in the same turn).

Q: Mutineer: if I don't have any more cards in my den to discard, do I still earn 2 doubloons?
A: Absolutely not.

Q: Spanish Spy: do the Spanish officers I discard have to go to the bag and then I can draw, or do I have to draw first and then place the Spanish officers in the bag?
A: Discarded treasures, as per the rules, have to be placed back in the bag immediately. Thus it's possible to draw a Spanish officer just discarded in the process.

Q: If during a campaign I use the Parrot, at the beginning of the next one do I have to draw only 6 cards or 7 to get back to 9?
A: You have to draw 6 cards like any other player.

Q: Surgeon and Recruiter: if I play one of these characters, what happens during the setup of the following campaign? Can I hold one additional card in hand or do I have to keep 9 cards at most?
A: You can keep your additional card. The hand size can be larger or smaller than 9 if certain cards are used, like the Parrot, the Surgeon or the Recruiter.

Personally I find most questions trivial, and some answers a bit ambiguous in the wording (I'm referring to the original Italian writing of course). For instance, probably the most ambiguous would be the one concerning the timing of when characters go to the den. The FAQ, as it is, seems to contradict the rules in the case a player couldn't take a booty token (the character goes to the den right after the player takes the booty token, thus if he doesn't - because the character is the Cabin Boy or because one or more Cooks were played - he doesn't go to the den, which is obviously not the case). Taken only as it is, an addition to the rules, it should pretty obvious though how to interpret them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very quickly run the Marabunta FAQ mentioned above through Google Translate to assist. Parts havent translated perfectly, but I guess that any questions can be asked separately if there is still ambiguity.

FAQ Libertalia 1.1
by Mr Octopus on 25 October 2012 in Libertalia

This is a few weeks Libertalia popular on the gaming tables. Some questions were asked and some clarifications on various sites and through different channels. Here are the official answers to these questions.

Attention, it is not an errata, answers are all in the rule and the maps, but it does not hurt to specify!

Characters

1-Parrot: if I played the parrot, is that I draw enough cards for up to 9 cards?

No, you take the 6 selected cards like everyone else. In general, it is possible that you have more or less than other cards in hand at the beginning of a round. This has no importance.

3 - Beggar:

Beggar's power to retrieve the owner of three duplicate character most senior of the ship. If it can not pay, pursuant to Rule page 11, he must pay whatever he can, to the famous three duplicates.

The beggar does not recover in this case that ONLY his "victim" was able to pay (the power it clear "gives you").

4 - Recruiter: can we recover a discarded character?
- No. If it is in the den, it is not discarded and vice versa.

In addition, after using the power Recruiter, it is possible that you have more cards in hand than the other at the beginning of a round. This has no importance.

5 - Foam: one not taking part of the booty, there will be a share of the spoils more unassigned. Who will return this additional share?

A person, the remainder is discarded.

8 - Waitress: It is not mandatory, is not it?

No, it's one of the few powers optional Libertalia!

10 - French officer:

For the purposes of power, we look at the duplicates available when the power of the character takes effect, it does not look the scoring track.

11 - Voodoo Witch:

Recall that the discard pile is emptied at each end of sleeve. You do not win with duplicates discarded the characters in the sleeve or voodoo sorcerer is played.

13 - Mutin

- If the mischievous character is alone with a higher rank than him, it is discarded.
- If the mutinous alone, no character is discarded and the player does not win the two duplicates. His power has no effect, in other words.

14 - Gross: If the character is the highest ranking on the ship, he discards itself?

Yes.

15 - Gunner: I only have 2 rooms that happens exactly? I can not afford it then nothing happens? I pay for everything I have and I can discard a character? I pay for everything, but I can not discard a character?

These are two "powers" separated, both mandatory.

* First, you pay 3 duplicates. In the (rare) or you can not pay, you pay what you can. See page 11 of the rules.

* Then, you choose a character that you discard. In your den or that of another. Even if you do not have to pay!

16 - Gabier: What happens if I have fewer characters in my den tied with one or more players? I earn 5 duplicates or not?

No. The topman do is win 5 duplicates if you are "the player with the fewest characters in his lair." If two or more players are in this case, no one can be "the player with the least amount of characters in his lair" and then nobody wins five duplicates.

17 - Spy Spanish: I discard the Spanish officers before shooting loot in the bag?

The treasures are discarded immediately. It is therefore possible to draw an officer who has just been discarded, but it does not take effect in accordance with the language of power.

18 - Cuistot: There is more than a part to play when the power of my Cuistot takes effect. I'll take one in the bag?

No. Sharing is always decreasing order starting with the highest rank of the ship. And when that comes around the cook, it takes two shares of the booty. If it can not because there is more than one hand, it only takes one. Sometimes there is nothing left to take!

If I take a Spanish officer and a cursed relic, is that I can take the officer, discard the cook and therefore does not take the relic?

No. You take two slices of booty simultaneously. The chef goes to the discard pile and you get the two sides.

21 - Merchant: I have to use? Because it is not always profitable!

Yes, his power is required and only works once, the choice is which share the same loot you choose to discard.

Because of this requirement, it may be that the player playing the Merchant must show its share of the loot if another player makes a doubt, to prove that he can not use the power. But friends, you can trust you, right?

22 - Surgeon:

Recall that the discard pile is emptied at each end of sleeve. We can not retrieve a discarded character during a previous round.

After using the surgeon, it is likely that you have more or less than other cards in hand at the beginning of a round. This has no importance.

28 - Second: The second part does it account for the characters in the den to determine the gain?

Yes.

Rules in general

- If marked "character" without further clarification, it is a character in a den face, otherwise it is said "discarded", "your hand" or "ship"? There are no exceptions?

That's right, there is no exception. On maps, it is always said anyway.

- Who wins in a tie?

All the players involved!

- Can we have less than 0 duplicates?

No, this is impossible, you stay at 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:

13 - Mutin

- If the mischievous character is alone with a higher rank than him, it is discarded.
- If the mutinous alone, no character is discarded and the player does not win the two duplicates. His power has no effect, in other words.

I figured the seconds ruling but, that first one is out of nowhere. It works thematically but, nothing on the card or in the rules relays that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
XShrike wrote:
malibu_babe_28 wrote:

13 - Mutin

I figured the seconds ruling but, that first one is out of nowhere. It works thematically but, nothing on the card or in the rules relays that.

It seems perfectly logical to me. The Mutineer discards the lowest card present other than himself. If the lowest card present is higher than himself, it's still discarded.

It hardly even seems to need clarification, but perhaps some people interpreted the text on the card to mean that the card had to be lower than the Mutineer to be discarded. (And it may have been less clear in the French, of course!)

Or are you interpreting this FAQ answer to mean that in that case, the Mutineer is discarded? I think since the Mutineer is referred to as "him" in that answer, "it" must mean the other card. And looking at the original French, I'm pretty sure "it is discarded" should actually be translated "the latter is discarded".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
XShrike wrote:
malibu_babe_28 wrote:

13 - Mutin

It seems perfectly logical to me. The Mutineer discards the lowest card present other than himself. If the lowest card present is higher than himself, it's still discarded.

It hardly even seems to need clarification, but perhaps some people interpreted the text on the card to mean that the card had to be lower than the Mutineer to be discarded. (And it may have been less clear in the French, of course!)

Or are you interpreting this FAQ answer to mean that in that case, the Mutineer is discarded? I think since the Mutineer is referred to as "him" in that answer, "it" must mean the other card. And looking at the original French, I'm pretty sure "it is discarded" should actually be translated "the latter is discarded".

I was interpreting the FAQ as saying the Mutineer is discarded.

So the way it is actually played is you can choose which of the lower ranked cards to discard. If they are only higher ranked cards he will discard them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
XShrike wrote:
So the way it is actually played is you can choose which of the lower ranked cards to discard. If they are only higher ranked cards he will discard them.

No, I don't think you get a choice.

Here's how I understand it:

If the Mutineer is alone in your den, he has no effect. Nothing is discarded and you do not gain the two doubloons.

If there are any cards in your den with the Mutineer, the lowest-numbered of those cards is discarded. It does not matter whether the card has a lower or higher number than the mutineer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hardy
United States
Jacksonville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an effort to consolidate the answers provided in FAQ 1.0 and FAQ 1.1 from the designer, I submit the below for your consideration. Please provide corrections/clarifications as you see fit. Thank you.

LIBERTALIA FAQ v1.1

General Rules

Q: When required to refer to a ‘Character’ (when further details are not provided) can that be a Character anywhere in play (Den, Graveyard, Ship, or Hand)?
A: Unless specified otherwise, ‘Character’ shall always refer to a Character present in the Den. The rules/cards will specifically state when Characters elsewhere (Graveyard, Ship, or Hand) are to be referenced. There are no exceptions to this.

Q: When exactly are characters moved to a player's den?
A: Every character goes to the den right after the player takes his/her booty token, if able, in the dusk phase (thus he can be targeted by sabers played by other players in the same turn).

Q: Can you have less than 0 doubloons? What if I have to lose doubloons but I don’t have enough?
A: No, you cannot have less than 0 doubloons. If a card requires you to lose more doubloons than you currently have, then reduce your total to 0 and continue play normally, resolving the rest of the special action as if you had paid the amount in full.

Q: Who wins in case of a tie at the end-game scoring?
A: The core rules allow the scenario of a game to end in a tie.

Specific Character

Q: Are characters' special actions mandatory to use?
A: Yes, characters’ special actions are generally mandatory, provided it's not written otherwise on the card. Sometimes this can cause unintended negative outcomes (e.g. the Merchant must exchange matching booty tokens for doubloons, 2 chests for 2 doubloons...the Merchant definitely got fooled!).

Q: 1-Parrot: If during a campaign I use the Parrot, during setup of the following campaign do I draw the standard 6 cards or 7 to start with 9 cards at the beginning of the next campaign?
A: You draw the standard 6 cards like any other player. Generally, it is possible that you have more or fewer cards in hand than other players at the beginning of a round.

Q: 3-Beggar: Allows the player to retrieve 3 doubloons from the player with the highest ranked character on the ship. If the player does not have enough doubloons, what happens?
A: If the targeted player cannot fully pay the Beggar, he must pay whatever he can. The beggar can only recover whatever the victim was able to pay.

Q: 4-Recruiter: Can we retrieve a discarded character?
A: No. A character may only be recruited from the Den.

Q: 4-Recruiter / 22-Surgeon: If during a campaign I use the Recruiter/Surgeon, during setup of the following campaign I will have more than 9 cards, do I have to discard down to 9 cards before the next campaign begins?
A: No, play thereon with the additional card(s) in your starting hand. Generally, it is possible that you have more or fewer cards in hand than other players at the beginning of a round.

Q: 5-Cabin Boy: Due to his special action to avoid taking a share of the spoils, there will be a share of the booty untaken. What happens to the remainder booty token?
A: It is discarded to the bag at the end of the current campaign.

Q: 8-Waitress: Is the Waitress’s special action to discard Treasure Map Booty Tokens optional or mandatory?
A: Optional, it's one of the few optional actions in Libertalia!

Q: 10-French Officer: Does this only affect doubloons in the player’s holdings during the current campaign or all accumulated doubloons to this point in the game (doubloons on the scoring track)?
A: For the purpose of this special action, only consider doubloons in the player’s current holdings (ignore those on the scoring track).

Q: 11-Voodoo Witch: Can his special action count characters used in a previous campaign?
A: No. Remember that the graveyard (discard pile) is removed from the game at the end of each campaign.

Q: 13-Mutineer: Can you explain his special action?
A: The Mutineer discards the character with the lowest rank (other than himself) currently in the Den with him and the player gains 2 doubloons as compensation.

Q: 13-Mutineer: If I don't have any characters in my den with the Mutineer, do I still earn 2 doubloons?
A: Absolutely not. As opposed to special actions that still resolve when the player does not have the full amount of doubloons to pay, this special action only resolves when the Mutineer has a character to send to the graveyard.

Q: 14-Brute: Does the Brute discard himself if he is the highest ranked character played on the ship?
A: Yes (in the heat of the moment he probably stumbled falling down in the sea...).

Q: 15-Gunner: What if I do not have 3 doubloons, do I still discard a character from any den?
A: Yes. Both parts of the special action are mandatory and if you cannot pay all 3 doubloons, then you discard your remaining fortune and still resolve the second special action as if you had paid the amount in full.

Q: 16-Topman: What if the player with the Topman is tied for the fewest characters? Does he still get the doubloons?
A: No. If two or more players are tied for the fewest characters in their den, then nobody gains 5 doubloons for their Topman.

Q: 17-Spanish Spy: Do the Spanish officers I discard go to the bag before drawing a new token, or do I have to draw first and then place the Spanish officers in the bag?
A: Discarded treasures, as per the rules, have to be placed back in the bag immediately. Thus it's possible to draw a Spanish officer just discarded in the process.

Q: 18-Cook: Can you explain his special action? Are the Booty Tokens taken simultaneously or sequentially?
A: Instead of taking one treasure you simply take 2 (as a consequence, another player may end up without treasures to take!). Sometimes there are less than 2 remaining when it is the Cook’s turn to loot, in these cases his special action results in no effect. The Booty Tokens are looted simultaneously; resolve any booty effects (such as the Spanish Officer) after looting.

Q: 21-Merchant: Is the special action optional or mandatory? Must the player reveal his matching Booty Tokens before exchanging them for doubloons? Must the player reveal his set of Booty Tokens when declaring that he cannot trade-in because no Booty Tokens match?
A: The Merchant’s special action is mandatory, if it is possible, which may result in an unfavorable exchange for the controlling player. The player is not required to reveal his tokens before exchanging them or when declaring that he cannot exchange tokens, but the player should be willing to do so (in either case) if another player expresses doubt.

Q: 22-Surgeon: Can the Surgeon select a character discarded in a previous round?
A: No. Remember that the graveyard (discard pile) is removed from the game at the end of each campaign.

Q: 28-First Mate: Do you count the First Mate as one of the characters in the Den for determining doubloons gained?
A: Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have a rules question. On the last page of the book it reads "The characters in the graveyard or in the players dens are removed from the game (they will not be used for the rest of the game)." Does this mean you choose to remove either the den or the graveyard since it says - OR?

Do both the den and discards get reset between campaigns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remnos wrote:
I have a rules question. On the last page of the book it reads "The characters in the graveyard or in the players dens are removed from the game (they will not be used for the rest of the game)." Does this mean you choose to remove either the den or the graveyard since it says - OR?

Do both the den and discards get reset between campaigns?

They both get reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.