Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game_group [+] [View All]
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been hosting a weekly game night that has been getting an adverage of 6 friend or so a week. Most of my friends are pretty serious gamers and it has been pretty great up till now. I'm thinking about making it a public group and wanted to see what pros and cons other folks might have had from going public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DO IT! Do it do it do it! Everybody keeps saying, why don't more people play Settlers, Carc, PR?? Why can't I get more gamers? Wouldn't it be great if you could buy Settlers in WalMart?

By keeping our game groups private, in private homes, by private invitation only, we are handicapping our own hobby. If you want more gamers, START A PUBLIC GROUP! If you build it, they will come. I started Beyond Monopoly! in York in February, open one Saturday a month. We now open twice a month, and last Saturday we had 24 gamers all day.

I was lucky in having a useful venue which only charges entrance of the players, not a hiring fee to me. But being able to have somewhere central, that was open for seven hours, I think has been crucial in getting people in.

Getting free publicity through BGG has helped enormously too. We get so many users coming long distance, just to get the chance of serious gaming.

Downsides: it takes a lot of effort to keep pushing and reminding and getting drivers and so on. It takes up some cash money and a good deal of time.

Upside: WE HAD 24 GAMERS ON SATURDAY! I've now got a whole bunch of people to meet and play with which were not there before. And every meet, we get 2 or 3 or this time 5 newcomers to the club.

When I got home tonight, there was a voicemail from BBC Radio York. They want me to come back and talk about boardgames again in the lead up to Christmas. Pull your finger out and start a public group. Then tell everyone about it all the time.

Start a public club in a public venue.
Call it Beyond Monopoly!
Work your arse off publicising it.
Keep at it.
Result, another successful club, more gamers, lots more fun for you.

Just do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodeodoctor wrote:
II'm thinking about making it a public group and wanted to see what pros and cons other folks might have had from going public.

The only downside to going public is, well....the public.

But seriously, hope it works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:

The only downside to going public is, well....the public.

But seriously, hope it works out for you.

Yeah, that's a tricky thing. Don't want all the unclean masses to ruin the experience. Where all they want to play is boggle and tichu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rendon
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has wrestled with this issue.

On the one hand I agree with Jon: it's a good thing to do for the hobby. On the other hand, depending how ambitious you are, it can be a lot of work. For us it just came down to the fact that we have limited amount of free time and we can either spend that time playing the games we like, or spend that time teaching new players how to play Carcassonne. Yet again.

I admire people who do it, though.

j.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little more than a year ago the DenverGames group was formed. This is a group with weekly meetings at a local Borders book store in addition to 4 or 5 game nights at members homes throughout the month. It's developed into a really fantastic and diverse group of gamers and I think one of the reasons is that it is open to anyone who wants to show up, whether we're at Borders or at someones house. We regularly get 10-20 people each night, sometimes twice a week. I think the key feature of our success has been playing regularly in a public location that is accessable to anyone. People just walk up and say they found us on the internet or here on BGG and decided to show up. I doubt you'd get that kind of response if you were having game nights at someones house.

So maybe the answer for you is to keep playing with your friends at your house but find a public location that is more accessable and play there as well. If you're concerned about inviting strangers to your house then you can use the public location to 'screen' newcomers. I think you'll quickly find that it's not all that necessary.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats one of the big issues I have, location. Its really nice and easy to have it at my house where we can play till 3 AM if we're in the mood for a game like Twilight Imperium. I'm not to sure how keen i'd be on inviting random public to my house though. I imagine it would be how "random" it would be. Most of the folks on BGG would probably be great to have over, but I don't know just who would show up. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc, if you want the public, you must get a public venue. I'm not inviting strangers to my home, BGG or not. Scope out some possible venues, pick one with a good location, and give it a try for 3 months, more if you're not weekly. Just try it, you'll like it. Even if you and your buddies end up paying cash, it will be worth it.

You do not spend your time teaching Carc again. Once or twice, then they teach the next. It's organic. You start it, you nurture it through its first weeks, then it gets a life of its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Alma
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started our group (ROBA - Rochester/Oakland (MI) Boardgamers) - last March in the basement of a church with 13 people. Since then, it has grown enourmous and we get 50+ to our monthly events, which are held at a new church . . . and the church allows us to use it free of charge!

PT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ramirez
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say give your local game store a ring and ask them if they'll host a game club. They usually have the space and would welcome the free publicity....and you'd probably be doing the owner another favor in that you would help them keep informed about the hobby...an informed game store owner is a better/more responsive game store owner.

Now let's see on online discounter do THAT for you.

Also, you could try local schools, libraries and funny hat wearing fraternities (like the Masons, Lions, Shriners, Rotary, OddFellows, etc.) They usually rent out space for a nominal fee.

CER
Good Luck Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rodeodoctor wrote:
I have been hosting a weekly game night that has been getting an adverage of 6 friend or so a week. Most of my friends are pretty serious gamers and it has been pretty great up till now. I'm thinking about making it a public group and wanted to see what pros and cons other folks might have had from going public.

http://libsyn.com/media/boardgamestogo/BGTG_33_2005-08-24.mp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, I don't know if it would be worth the work to rent/book a space then put the emotional energy into getting it all set up. Lets remember that Gamers are not always the most out going folks. Like J said above, with limited time you want to get as much gaming out of your night as possible.

The most important thing about having a game night (in my opinion) is playing good games with good people, not necessarily growing the hobby. It might be kind of selfish, but going public with my group would only be to get better gaming out of it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it;
the public screening is great- you keep the best gamers for your house!!!!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it;
the public screening is great- you keep the best gamers for your house!!!!laugh
Seriously, when you grow enough you will split up into more groups, and then you go to THEIR group to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:

Seriously, when you grow enough you will split up into more groups, and then you go to THEIR group to play!

Good point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.