Subject: Is it possible to cheat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished an IOS game where my opponent rolled a truly amazing number of fury attacks successfully.

I had a full strength skuhll blocking and ragnor rolled an astonishing number of furies. First, he had three consecutive attacks with one hit each time and successful fury rolls. Then two attacks with two hits and successful fury rolls. Then he moved adjacent to ret talus, one hit, fury, one hit fury, two hits, dead Ret Talus.

So, 7 consecutive fury rolls. Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never done it, but yes, there is a way to cheat. Apparently the app determines what your dice rolls will be each turn at the start. So, what you can do is do a few attacks to see what the rolls will be, then kill the app before your turn ends (may need to do it before the phase ends)...then go back in and do the attacks again in optimal order based on what you know the rolls will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ron42na wrote:
I've never done it, but yes, there is a way to cheat. Apparently the app determines what your dice rolls will be each turn at the start. So, what you can do is do a few attacks to see what the rolls will be, then kill the app before your turn ends (may need to do it before the phase ends)...then go back in and do the attacks again in optimal order based on what you know the rolls will be.

Terrible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I don't think that's an issue on how dice rolls are determined. It might well be that the game chooses a seed at the start of the match, so ALL dice rolls are pre-determined, not just the ones of the next turn, and that's just fine I guess.

The real issue is that you can kill the app and start your turn over whenever you want. Even if dice rolls were really random (which they can't be of course), you'd still have a cheat available.
Actually, in a way, it's better as it is because at least you cannot start over again and again until you get a perfect sequence.

That's to say that, unfortunately, this sounds like an issue that's very unlikely to be fixed. It's just how asynchronous works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's in 1/3 change to get Fury. So 7 consecutive fury rolls is 1 / 3^7, or 1/2187. Not super common, but let's say there are, as a wild guess, two thousand games played a day across all users and each game averages one fury attack (obviously hard to estimate, as most games will not have factions capable of Fury but the ones that do will have a lot more than one Fury-capable attack on average).

Given those assumptions, this sort of thing will happen to someone on average once every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.