Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

War of the Ring Collector's Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Are people buying these? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
So, I'm just curious... but, are people actually paying $1,500 plus for a CE? I see the prices are really high, but from my limited economics classes back in the day, the price of something is usually what a buyer is willing to buy it for... otherwise, the price goes down or the product isn't sold.

So, since the prices seem to be actually rising, I'm curious, who are the buyers purchasing the CE? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a quck search on ebay and at least one went recently for $1200.
So that would make it worth at least that then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Avatar
Looking at the completed eBay listings several have sold for $1100-1300.
Surprised me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Avatar
ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw one of those selling for 780 bucks 6 months ago or so on ebay. Too bad I wasn't fast enough...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think $1200 is around the max range that people are willing to pay for this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
the price of something is usually what a buyer is willing to buy it for...


And what the seller is willing to let it go for. It's called "supply and demand", not just "demand".

In my case, that means the copy I own is priceless!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lochner
United States
Monroe
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Luthien wrote:
the price of something is usually what a buyer is willing to buy it for...


And what the seller is willing to let it go for. It's called "supply and demand", not just "demand".

In my case, that means the copy I own is priceless!


Good point. I had a chance to grab on at $800 about a year ago and I passed!! Still kickin myself over that one.cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Clayton
United States
Houston (Summerwood)
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought mine this year for $1100.00. Just finished buying the strongholds from sickdave, more investment. Just had not discovered these games until after the CE had long been sold. Then I had to have it....Vicky
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to own this, its one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen! Alas, I did not know of its existence until long after they had sold at "reasonable prices". It is really out of my reach now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought mine for approximately $900 dollars (converted from GBP).
Never regretted it. It is a true work of art. I purchased strongholds from FUBAR to enhance the aura of the magnificent giant board. When I have it set up for a game and my opponent arrives there is always a moment of wonderment, an appreciation of craft and beauty. Playing this version of War of the Ring is more of an experience than a gaming session. In fact I'd go as far to say that when I pop my mortal coils from this earth there will be one heck of a battle within my remaining family members to see who gets this fabulous heirloom. Unless, off course, I just tip it into the fires of Mount Doom.........
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Wow, I'm surprised at the answers, but maybe I shouldn't be. If I hadn't been laid off of work at the time, I would have bought the CE, but I couldn't justify spending $400. Heck, even with a job I can't justify any more than that. I'm sure it is awesome, maybe I'll meet a gamer that owns it!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised at the answers, but maybe I shouldn't be. If I hadn't been laid off of work at the time, I would have bought the CE, but I couldn't justify spending $400. Heck, even with a job I can't justify any more than that. I'm sure it is awesome, maybe I'll meet a gamer that owns it!!


Heh, KevinFelker42 and I both passed on it, because we couldn't justify spending $400 on a game we already had...

Grr.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
janglybits wrote:
In fact I'd go as far to say that when I pop my mortal coils from this earth there will be one heck of a battle within my remaining family members to see who gets this fabulous heirloom. Unless, off course, I just tip it into the fires of Mount Doom.........


No, no, no!

You have to take it with you to the Underworld.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
SybotCB wrote:
Luthien wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised at the answers, but maybe I shouldn't be. If I hadn't been laid off of work at the time, I would have bought the CE, but I couldn't justify spending $400. Heck, even with a job I can't justify any more than that. I'm sure it is awesome, maybe I'll meet a gamer that owns it!!


Heh, KevinFelker42 and I both passed on it, because we couldn't justify spending $400 on a game we already had...

Grr.


haha. Nice Chris. Nice. It's not a game, it's a way of life!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Berger
Germany
Eitensheim
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's your next Chance to get One.
Check listing on EBAY.DE
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I could never own this...

I would literally have to kill the person that damages it..shake
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I am fortunate to have a friend who is in possession of one. It truly is a top-notch item, and playing the game with it is just a great experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herra Pesukarhu
Finland
flag msg tools
I might sell a mint condition war of the ring collector's edition if someone is looking to buy one. Please contact me with a private message if interested

Shipping from Finland.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Heh, KevinFelker42 and I both passed on it, because we couldn't justify spending $400 on a game we already had...

Grr.


I already painted all the figs for my 1st edition set but wanted the CE for the larger board, larger cards and expansions. I got the set for LESS than $400 (had a discount) and now consider it the best buy I ever made. I still won't sell it as I use the extra pieces in my "Shadow Earth" variant. sauron

It's just nice owning something that valuable, the only thing I can compare it with was having all the power cards in MAGIC (sold those for around $1,500, I couldn't resist). However, I did re-paint most of the CE figs so I'm not sure if that made it more valuable or less
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One in unopened original packing sold for 2200 on ebay in the last two weeks.
My brother had it on ebay for around 9 months.
He was messing around with the listing categories
and placed it in , of all things, outdoor games.
A buyer from the west coast picking things up to ship to Japan bought it.
Link
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching some of the bids on eBay just to check out the buying trend. I'm one of those that really wants to buy it, but (1) cannot justify the prices they go for and (2) is infuriated by the high amount of unopened/unplayed copies out there because that means those people bought purely for the speculator opportunity. More power to them for having that forethought, but that sucks for people like me that just want to pull it out, feel the awesome wooden box, and play it with other fans instead of just looking at a sealed box. I know, I know... I'm stuck on repeat since I've said this in other threads.

Anyway, here is an auction that ended on January 25th. The seller re-listed at $1,700 down from his original asking price of $1,900. It sold after 3 bids at $1,776 (+$35 shipping). It's an unopened/sealed copy and he included a set of Mayday sleeves and a painted 3D sculpted Mount Doom. Link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:
One in unopened original packing sold for 2200 on ebay in the last two weeks.
My brother had it on ebay for around 9 months.
He was messing around with the listing categories
and placed it in , of all things, outdoor games.
A buyer from the west coast picking things up to ship to Japan bought it.
Link
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

I hope your brother knows what he is doing. Be very careful selling to freight forwarders to the Far East. It is easy to scam you! They may reverse payment after you've shipped your item, or a check that at first seemed to clear will bounce after all (even cashiers if it is false!), and you will find there is nothing you can do. There are ways to cover yourself against this, but you need to read up and be smart about it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I've been watching some of the bids on eBay just to check out the buying trend. I'm one of those that really wants to buy it, but (1) cannot justify the prices they go for and (2) is infuriated by the high amount of unopened/unplayed copies out there because that means those people bought purely for the speculator opportunity. More power to them for having that forethought, but that sucks for people like me that just want to pull it out, feel the awesome wooden box, and play it with other fans instead of just looking at a sealed box. I know, I know... I'm stuck on repeat since I've said this in other threads.

Anyway, here is an auction that ended on January 25th. The seller re-listed at $1,700 down from his original asking price of $1,900. It sold after 3 bids at $1,776 (+$35 shipping). It's an unopened/sealed copy and he included a set of Mayday sleeves and a painted 3D sculpted Mount Doom. Link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...


If it wasn't for all the people that purchased multiple copies with the intent of reselling, the CE probably would have been a failure. I remember watching the website when it first opened for sales and it took quite awhile to sell out. The print run was surprisingly large considering the universe of potential buyers out there. In other words, invest your money wisely and be patient. At some point in time folks will have to decide between holding cardboard boxes forever or unloading them on eBay which will cause prices to decline. The other thing to remember, is if prices remain high, it will provide incentive for someone to produce a 2nd edition or 3rd edition deluxe set. They only said they wouldn't do another 1st edition set, they never said anything about 2nd edition or someone else like Franklin Mint doing one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I've been watching some of the bids on eBay just to check out the buying trend. I'm one of those that really wants to buy it, but (1) cannot justify the prices they go for and (2) is infuriated by the high amount of unopened/unplayed copies out there because that means those people bought purely for the speculator opportunity. More power to them for having that forethought, but that sucks for people like me that just want to pull it out, feel the awesome wooden box, and play it with other fans instead of just looking at a sealed box. I know, I know... I'm stuck on repeat since I've said this in other threads.

Anyway, here is an auction that ended on January 25th. The seller re-listed at $1,700 down from his original asking price of $1,900. It sold after 3 bids at $1,776 (+$35 shipping). It's an unopened/sealed copy and he included a set of Mayday sleeves and a painted 3D sculpted Mount Doom. Link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...


If it wasn't for all the people that purchased multiple copies with the intent of reselling, the CE probably would have been a failure. I remember watching the website when it first opened for sales and it took quite awhile to sell out. The print run was surprisingly large considering the universe of potential buyers out there. In other words, invest your money wisely and be patient. At some point in time folks will have to decide between holding cardboard boxes forever or unloading them on eBay which will cause prices to decline. The other thing to remember, is if prices remain high, it will provide incentive for someone to produce a 2nd edition or 3rd edition deluxe set. They only said they wouldn't do another 1st edition set, they never said anything about 2nd edition or someone else like Franklin Mint doing one.


From http://rpggeek.com/article/12988077#12988077
RobertDD wrote:
War of the Ring Collector's Edition was offered for pre-order and released in two batches:

War of the Ring Collector's Edition Batch 1
USA & Canada: 400 copies through Fantasy Flight Games
English: 300 copies through NG International (Nexus Games)
German: 300 copies through Phalanx Games

War of the Ring Collector's Edition Batch 2
USA & Canada: 400 copies through Fantasy Flight Games
English: 500 copies through NG International (Nexus Games)
German: 100 copies through Phalanx Games
100 copies were converted from German to English due to issues with Phalanx Games

Total Batch 1 & 2:
English: 1600 copies
German: 400 copies


There were 800 copies distributed in the USA. 400 (batch 1) sold out in a little over a week (I remember this very well, as I was hemming an hahing over spending that much, and then all of a sudden batch 1 was sold out and I figured I better get to ordering right away) and the other 400 took a few months to sell.

Searching completed listings on ebay, I found 3 new in box sales. I am not sure how many months they keep.

So It is hard to say if many people actually bought one for resale, and the high after market collector's prices were certainly not expected (at least not by me, not this high). The truth is that the $400 price tag was just really good for what you got, and I think that's why most people bought it. As an investment it just made less sense at the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.