skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am off to my first ASLOK on Monday. Any advice? I am somewhat nervous for some reason because ASL is still new to me (2006--only game you can play for 12 years and still feel like a newb).

I plan on pulling scenarios I would like to try, but unlike all the vets there are a lot of original ones I still haven't played that I would like too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax and have fun. You'll probably be able to find people to play just about anything you want. Just go to Bret (or anyone else at the organizers table) and say "I'm looking for a fight" and he'll set you up.

If you see a guy wearing a yellow De Havilland baseball cap, introduce yourself. It's me, and I'll be happy to play a classic scenario, since I have a heap of unplayed ones on my playlist too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be nervous. Have fun. Be prepared to make mistakes and not make the sky fall as a result. Always shake hands at game's end. Get enough sleep. Brush your teeth and use deodorant (not on your teeth...on the regular spots). Don't touch the other guy's pieces or dice unless he wants you to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just have fun. Most people at tournaments are just there to play the game, and everyone is looking forward to growing our hobby. People that were nervous about our Austin tournament always rave about how much fun they have, no matter their win - loss record or mistakes they made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippen,
Hey how have you been ! Hope all is well !

I felt the same way, but what I found was that no matter how new/green you are you are not treated as being a newbie. I found that everyone is glad to see a fellow ASL gamer who shares the same passion for the game.

I’ve been to Tussle in the Tundra twice and I went to the The Noreaster. I lost every game except one, the majority of opponents would say "Geez, you gave me a run for my money...".

My opponents always gave feedback on "the next time..." or they asked me "What do you think you did wrong..." I’ve gotten some excellent advice, which I write in a note book now with the scenario name.

Overall, just go and have fun and relax! I’ve made many friends that I game regularly with now.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I am off to my first ASLOK on Monday. Any advice?

Don't drink the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.. bring a dice cup or tower. You'll feel like a rube if you're rolling dice in a box lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Oh.. bring a dice cup or tower. You'll feel like a rube if you're rolling dice in a box lid.

Excellent advice. Most ASL'ers are very superstitious about their dice and dice rolling apparatus's and are unlikely to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Yes, I plan on bringing the following (always was at least):

scenarios
dice tower
dice
charts
rulebook (in some form)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Precision dice, no less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Thanks all. Yes, I plan on bringing the following (always was at least):

scenarios
dice tower
dice
charts
rulebook (in some form)

If you are planning for grognard status.
no rules or charts, just memory
4 scenarios.. Hill 621, Streets of Stalingrad, Last bid, Bungle in the jungle
no dice tower, a plastic cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Excellent advice. Most ASL'ers are very superstitious about their dice and dice rolling apparatus's and are unlikely to share.

If in a tournament, I will always use the same dice my opponent uses. One, it is the only way to assure a fair dice roll between the two players. Two, it messes with his head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Expect to be shattered by the third day...it takes it out of you.

Shower and deodorant. No one likes a whiffs opponent.

Bring a decent bottle of malt whiskey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I survived, and I had a blast. I will write more later. Suffice it to say, I had a blast despite going 0 - 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.