Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeving Poll! I'm just curious :-) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Poll
Do you sleeve your Dominion set?
Unsleeved and never plan to sleeve
Unsleeved but plan to sleeve in the future
Sleeved -- Mayday Standard
Sleeved -- Mayday Premium
Sleeved -- Fantasy Flight
Sleeved -- Other
      217 answers
Poll created by iLag






3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Sleeved with Mayday Premium. Wished I had used Fantasy Flight but didn't know about them when I started. Found out about Mayday thanks to the coupon in my first Dominion box.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved with Mayday Standard.

That being said, if I was starting now, I wouldn't use them. The variation is too great. Some are tight, some are loose.

I was already three expansions in before I really started to get significant variation* and by that point I was committed (No way am I unsleeving all of Dominion and resleeving).

* I sleeved The Base game and the first 2 expansions all at once from one batch of sleeves.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
I sleeved with Mayday Standard.

That being said, if I was starting now, I wouldn't use them. The variation is too great. Some are tight, some are loose.

I was already three expansions in before I really started to get significant variation* and by that point I was committed (No way am I unsleeving all of Dominion and resleeving).

* I sleeved The Base game and the first 2 expansions all at once from one batch of sleeves.


A big reason I wish I had used Fantasy Flight.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I don't sleeve at all myself -- I think the cards are resilient enough for my purposes (but I probably don't play nearly as much as some people). For the cost of the sleeves, added size, added weight, etc., I would rather just replace cards if they get worn out.

Sleeving reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond clip where Marie decided to "unsleeve" their couch to enjoy it fully (starting at 0:40)



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a complete set, fully sleeved w/ MayDay premium. Why? Because they were the only option back when I started. Had FFG had theirs available sooner, I would definitely have gone that route.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Arcane Tinmen Boardgame Sleeves, Size L. Very consistent quality and 75 micrometer thickness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mueller
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iLag wrote:
For the cost of the sleeves, added size, added weight, etc., I would rather just replace cards if they get worn out.


I had played quite a bit with the base set before Intrigue came out and sold it in a used game auction and got a decent amount. Since then I've bought the base cards (2 sets), and plan on replacing sets if I have issues. I'd rather not have to deal with the extra issue of sleeves. Eventually those need replacing as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I bought a pack of Mayday Standard sleeves and a pack of Fantasy Flight sleeves just to try them out. The Mayday Standard sleeves don't even compare in quality to the Fantasy Flight sleeves, but perhaps a more fair comparison would be Mayday Premium to Fantasy flight (which I haven't been able to test).

My biggest concern with sleeves is the added thickness. I used a digital caliper to measure the thickness values as follows:

0.306MM -- Unsleeved Card
0.389MM -- Card Sleeved with Mayday Standard (27% thicker than unsleeved)
0.493MM* -- Card Sleeved with Mayday Premium (61% thicker than unsleeved)
0.513MM -- Card Sleeved with Fantasy Flight (67% thicker than unsleeved)

*I estimated the thickness of Mayday Premium based on their claim that the Premium card is 125% thicker than their standard card as follows: (0.389MM - 0.306MM) * (2.25) + 0.306 = 0.493
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeved with Mayday Standard but will resleeve with FFG next year.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Century wrote:
iLag wrote:
For the cost of the sleeves, added size, added weight, etc., I would rather just replace cards if they get worn out.


I had played quite a bit with the base set before Intrigue came out and sold it in a used game auction and got a decent amount. Since then I've bought the base cards (2 sets), and plan on replacing sets if I have issues. I'd rather not have to deal with the extra issue of sleeves. Eventually those need replacing as well.
I have not sleeved because I do not get the game to the table anything like as often as I would like. However, I have never bought the 'replace when they wear out' story for card in a game like this that have very different wear patterns, because some cards are just in play more. Before you replace those cards, everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn more. And guess what - when you replace those cards everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn less.

My experience with sleeves is fairly minimal. I bought a few packs of cheap ones, to help with testing game prototypes. I hated them. Then I bought a few packs of FFG cards for use with The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, and now I appreciate them. Well, other than the cost, of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Before you replace those cards, everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn more. And guess what - when you replace those cards everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn less.

For this game, how much does that make a difference? How much and how often would it matter that you know there's a common card on top? Pearl Diver?

Does it actually matter? I know with my group it would not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Century wrote:
iLag wrote:
For the cost of the sleeves, added size, added weight, etc., I would rather just replace cards if they get worn out.


I had played quite a bit with the base set before Intrigue came out and sold it in a used game auction and got a decent amount. Since then I've bought the base cards (2 sets), and plan on replacing sets if I have issues. I'd rather not have to deal with the extra issue of sleeves. Eventually those need replacing as well.
I have not sleeved because I do not get the game to the table anything like as often as I would like. However, I have never bought the 'replace when they wear out' story for card in a game like this that have very different wear patterns, because some cards are just in play more. Before you replace those cards, everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn more. And guess what - when you replace those cards everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn less.

My experience with sleeves is fairly minimal. I bought a few packs of cheap ones, to help with testing game prototypes. I hated them. Then I bought a few packs of FFG cards for use with The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, and now I appreciate them. Well, other than the cost, of course.


Perhaps I'm unique, because I started playing Dominion later. I played a friends copy and loved it so much that I just went out and bought everything -- all expansions and promo cards -- at once. Since the Dominion expansions are nearing the end, I think my cards should wear pretty evenly (with the exception of the basic treasure and victory cards). You are correct though -- if it ever gets to the point that I need to replace treasure/victory cards and all of the kingdom cards are heavily worn, then it will be obvious when a treasure/victory card is coming up. I think that will be a long time though, since I don't get to play nearly as often as I'd like to either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Whizkid wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Before you replace those cards, everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn more. And guess what - when you replace those cards everyone knows which ones they are because they are worn less.

For this game, how much does that make a difference? How much and how often would it matter that you know there's a common card on top? Pearl Diver?

Does it actually matter? I know with my group it would not.


Within my group it wouldn't really matter either -- we're not that serious I guess it could a problem with the thief when playing with Platinums or similar situations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I'm a sleever and as most people know -- "a sleever's gotta sleeve." I sleeve almost all card games I play (exceptions being mass market games that are readily available and cheap -- like Uno, and games with cards that are never shuffled like the cards with DDM -- if I get Mage Wars, I don't think I would sleeve those either). I always with premium sleeves.

That being said, for Dominion (and Thunderstone), I decided to go with the cheaper Mayday sleeves because I wanted to avoid the bulk of premium sleeves with so many cards involved. I am a bit frustrated with the lack of consistency in sleeve quality, but realistically, I probably only have to toss about 5% of the sleeves on average. I just plan that into what I buy at this point. I just figured I'd replace sleeves as they wear out or break, but I haven't actually had to replace any yet (I would say I'm a moderate user on Dominion and a light user on Thunderstone though).

As an aside, I thinks sleeves makes it easier to shuffle the tiny little staring decks you get in Dominion anyway. I think the ideal quantity of cards for shuffling cards in the style I think people refer to as "rifle" is between like 25 and maybe 85 cards (sleeves are definitely an advantage for shuffling really big decks too IMO).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All the sets, all sleeved with Mayday Standard, I've probably encountered ~15 sleeves that didn't fit the cards. Had to replace some from wear and tear (or sometimes food/drink), but my cards are kept nice and safe inside
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
In case someone is interested, I did some quick calculations to determine the linear length of a complete Dominion set (all expansions) if you were to put all of the cards together:

Unsleeved = 700MM / 27.6"
Mayday Standard Sleeved = 900MM / 35.4"
Mayday Premium Sleeved = 1100MM / 43.3"
Fantasy Flight Sleeved = 1200MM / 47.2"

You can see how the game takes up a lot more storage space as you sleeve. With Fantasy Flight your Dominion set is about four feet tall! laugh

1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
iLag wrote:
In case someone is interested, I did some quick calculations to determine the linear length of a complete Dominion set (all expansions) if you were to put all of the cards together:

Unsleeved = 700MM / 27.6"
Mayday Standard Sleeved = 900MM / 35.4"
Mayday Premium Sleeved = 1100MM / 43.3"
Fantasy Flight Sleeved = 1200MM / 47.2"

You can see how the game takes up a lot more storage space as you sleeve. With Fantasy Flight your Dominion set is about four feet tall! laugh



Are you taking as an assumption that the width of x cards is equal to x times the width of one individual card?

I doubt this is true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had to throw out 1 to 3 sleeves per pack of 100 of the Mayday std. I'm glad I went with those. Worth mentioning tho is I only have base game Dom. When I realized just how popular it got, I didn't bother getting the rest of the exp since everyone else ended up getting them instead.


The Mayday green premiums for Thunderstone is where the woes are at. It'd be a bigger issue if I went past Dragonspire.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan D.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
ChickenSedan wrote:
iLag wrote:
In case someone is interested, I did some quick calculations to determine the linear length of a complete Dominion set (all expansions) if you were to put all of the cards together:

Unsleeved = 700MM / 27.6"
Mayday Standard Sleeved = 900MM / 35.4"
Mayday Premium Sleeved = 1100MM / 43.3"
Fantasy Flight Sleeved = 1200MM / 47.2"

You can see how the game takes up a lot more storage space as you sleeve. With Fantasy Flight your Dominion set is about four feet tall! laugh



Are you taking as an assumption that the width of x cards is equal to x times the width of one individual card?

I doubt this is true.


I used a digital caliper to determine the thickness of multiple cards and then found the average thickness per card. Your average Dominion card is about 0.306MM thick. I think it's reasonably accurate -- with my caliper I was able to measure the thickness of my gold stack and realized that I was missing one. I found the missing Gold card in my Silver pile

With the average thickness values of unsleeved and sleeved cards, I just multiplied by card counts. They are estimates -- I may be off a bit, but it's not out to lunch. I'm sure that use and humidity and bending can affect the thickness of a stack of cards and throw my estimates off a little.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyer
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
It's not about who wears the pants in the house, its about who controls the zipper!
badge
If I had a million dollars, I would still buy board games, just more of them!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have every card made to date all sleeved and packed with mayday standard sleeves. That being said, I had a great deal of trouble with the last round of card sleeves for dark ages. They were as much as 2 mm off in height and width. I will be forced to re-sleeve approx. 300 cards due to this and quite honestly I am considering changing all 2500+ cards just to make sure that they are all the same with a different brand. I am very unhappy with mayday sleeves and may not purchase from them again unless they are the only source of the sleeves that I need. I sleeve almost all card games that have cards that get handled a great deal and they do have sleeves for almost any size card but there is great variation in sizes.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsleeved, and they will remain as such. As others have said, I love Dominion, but I don't see sleeving as being necessary to prevent ware and I don't play with anyone that I could see cheating if a card or two were a little marked up. The only cards out of all of the sets I've got (Everything minus Alchemy and Base Cards) were some Copper, Estates and Curses from my main set, which are easily replaced with the Intrigue ones as 5+ player dominion is gulp anyway. If I ever play enough that I feel like I need to replace an entire set (probably base or intrigue) I'll just rebuy a set and donate the old one to someone. I'd rather support the company that's brought me that much enjoyment than the one that knows how to cut plastic in exactly the right sized rectangles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Sleeved with FFG and can't imagine playing without sleeves. It makes shuffling faster and easier, and prevents the cards from losing their beautiful clean artwork!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
I sleeved with Mayday Standard.

That being said, if I was starting now, I wouldn't use them. The variation is too great. Some are tight, some are loose.

I was already three expansions in before I really started to get significant variation* and by that point I was committed (No way am I unsleeving all of Dominion and resleeving).

* I sleeved The Base game and the first 2 expansions all at once from one batch of sleeves.


I've had the same quality problems with mayday standard sleeves. Due to this and other reasons concerning mayday as a company, I'm looking for alternatives.

Due to the heavy shuffling, the black borders, and the more frequent use of the money/victory cards, sleeving this game is a really good idea!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watson
United States
Jackson
MI
flag msg tools
I just sleeved Dark Ages and Hinterlands with Cataphract sleeves from http://www.sleevedominion.com/ None of the sleeves had size inconsistencies like the Mayday sleeves I used on the base set and Seaside, and the quality is at least as good as Mayday standards. They shipped the sleeves fast, prices are better and the customer service is great. No I don't have anything to do with sleevedominion.com other than being a very satisfied customer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.