William P.
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Dungeon Crawlers,

I am a huge Runebound fan and have an almost complete Runebound collection (Only missing a couple card expansions). I have never played Descent but have had my eye on it for years. After learning exactly what the Road to Legend expansion was, and just how truly awesome it is, I made the decision that, come hell or high water, I was going to start playing Descent. Towards this end I began began my collection of Descent. I have the base game, Road to Legend, Altar or Despair and Well of Darkness.
Now that Descent 2nd Edition is out I keep watching and reading reviews that say how awesome 2nd Edition is, and this is coming from people that own 1st edition. I do not see the need to own/acquire two massively sized dungeon crawl games. I try to not duplicate to closely any games in my collection especially when they pricey games and the wife keeps noticing the magically disappearing closed space. I would rather decide which game is deemed to be the "better" game and just get that.
Knowing that Descent, especially the Road to Legend, requires a huge time commitment in terms of set up, learning curve, game play, etc., not to mention money, leaves me conflicted as to what to do. Should I finish off my 1st edition collection and travel down the Road to Legend or sell it all and jump on the 2nd edition bandwagon. I really like the idea of playing RtL and really want to, but am afraid that I might be missing out on the better, faster, easier to learn, game.
I'm looking for advice and am hoping that some of you Descent veterans could share your experiences.

Thanks a bunch and Happy Gaming
William =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Second edition is a completely different game. Much lighter and does not fill the void that would be there if I did not have 1st Edition.
I love descent. My favorite game. I enjoy the campaigns and the tactical dungeon crawliness of it. 2nd PALES in comparison when looked at for these traits. If you want something simpler that's fine. But if you love 1st ed for its strengths and do not wish for a simpler, much lighter game.. just stick with 1st ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got a group that enjoys RtL, then stick with it. The biggest problem with RtL is getting a group to commit to a game that long. If not, try 2nd Ed. You can get a full campaign in three weekends or so. Please note that 2nd Ed has not done much to make the game any less... game-y. It still has its issues (albiet different issues) than 1st Ed that kind of suck and there's no way around it, just gotta love it or hate it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TKNODIABLO wrote:
[...]Knowing that Descent, especially the Road to Legend, requires a huge time commitment in terms of set up

In another thread I made some remarks about speeding up set up. It also helps if you play with three of even two people, in stead of five (we play with two which works fine).

You own the most important expansions already. You could possibly invest in Sea of Blood for the dungeons, which are fun or in Tomb of Ice for the feats, which are fun also (when you're not the overlord). With that collection, you have a ridiculous amount of variables and choices. Every level is different. I have not played 2E and I don't think I ever will, because without a doubt 2E cannot possibly match the complexity and variety of 1E for several expansions to come.

Like you, I bought 1E especially with RtL in mind. We found the base game tiresome, even boring (but you have to play it a couple of times to get acquainted with the rules and with the flow of the game). When we started RtL we had a little trouble getting into it (you can read our exploits on descentcampaigntracker.com). We liked it, but during copper level we learned how to actually play it and we started all over. Now we are serious in the second campaign and it really is a lot of fun.

I have to admit though, we are in a very fortunate position to be able to play RtL several days in a row, leaving the game on the table until we continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even close.

Remember though, that you are asking here on the 1st Ed forum...

1st Ed, particularly RtL (and SoB except for its enormous screwups) is a really, really deep, multi-layered game that rewards a combination of technical skill, intelligent analysis and tight decision making.

2nd Ed, as we stand, is a light bit of fluff. The gameplay is not a lot different - a bit lighter and faster, a lot more luck dependent (fewer attack dice mean greater variability, and then add in the defence dice variability), and with its own issues here and there.
I'm not far into a campaign, but its distinctly noticeable, and others who have played more are complaining the same, that the OL gets very few meaningful choices and his campaign progression is more or less nil - heroes get whole new skills with their XP, really good ones for 1XP even that they can use almost every turn, and the OL gets crappy cards he can swap into his deck, which mostly aren't a lot better than the originals, sometimes don't even get drawn or get discarded by an effect, and usually will get used once if you are lucky on most maps.

2nd Ed is, of course, on its very first legs, and has potential for much improvement. However, what it looks like to me is that they have designed expansions to be around new campaigns. Probably with some other new bits and pieces of course.
IMO they badly need to add a whole new mechanism to give some interest to the OL role, like treachery, to the campaign game - but how can they do that if they have balanced the campaign before that new mechanism existed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd make this even simpler for you.

One game is fresh out of the gate with not a lot of extra content (yet).

One other game is fully fleshed out with a lot of content.

Do you want basic or complex? That's your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st is epic and nothing can supereded it

but 2nd is shorter so it's easily hit the table

If I have a longggggggg week end
1st is better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.