Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are a lot of games about things like space exploration, but everyone seems to do the same things in the game. Everyone is the Captain of the ship or commander of the army, and has access to the same tools. Albeit with different powers or whatever.

What I am interested in is a game where each player takes on a different role, on a spaceship, in a government, etc. And based upon the role you take you will play a significantly different game.

Example:
One person plays the Captain and runs the battle map, playing the miniature war game part.
One person is the politician that gets missions and resources by playing a worker placement game.
One person is the science officer that keeps the ship floating during a combat by playing something like a Pandemic game(action point allowance).
And a forth play is the Commander that can go on quests and accomplish missions through a die rolling game similar to Elder Sign.

I know it sounds crazy, but I can not get it out of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets
- everyone has a different task
- each player has a roll on a space ship
- cooperative game

I'm unsure of all the mechanics that each player uses - they may be a bit more simplistic than what you've described.

The game isn't out yet, but I think it will be out in the next few months.
Hope this puts your mind at ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game has:

Pilots, who can go attack the enemy.

A President, who can do political actions that others can't.

An Admiral (I don't actually know what's special about them).

And sort of free-roaming guys that can repair the ship, or do other 'normal' type things.

Yes, you're all playing the same game, but there's many different roles, and if you're not a pilot, for example, you can't go out and fight. If you're a pilot, though, you can still do things in the ship.

But due to card draw, they're not the same thing as the others.

Not exactly right on, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
thadrine wrote:
That does sound spot on.

I just looked at Space Cadets, and yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Artemis, but it's a computer game, so not exactly what you are looking for.

Bascially, it's the deck of the enterprise. One person is the captain, another tactical, science, communications etc...

I haven't played it, but I've heard it's pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations sorta kinda fits, although the gameplay itself is similar for everyone (Whether you make a check to hit with a weapon as the weapons officer, or make a special maneuver as the pilot, is essentially the same) and you can and frequently will have some cross over in roles (The science officer jumping to a weapons console to help out, the engineer hopping onto the teleporter to join the boarding party).

Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator is the best example I know, but it's a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The Admiral controls the nukes, and chooses between possible destinations when the fleet "jumps".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Jythier wrote:
The Admiral controls the nukes, and chooses between possible destinations when the fleet "jumps".

Thanks!

That doesn't seem like a big change though (not like getting to fly around!). But controlling nukes is always fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am familiar with Battlestations, but it didn't really scratch that itch for me.

Artemis was awesome! When we could get it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Thanks!

That doesn't seem like a big change though (not like getting to fly around!). But controlling nukes is always fun.

Well, he gets to look at two cards in secret, then chooses one. So there's always speculation over whether that destination card your Admiral just chose is better or worse than the one he decided not to take.

Fleet Jumps are a whole mini-game of their own most of the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of asymmetric 2-player games like this, but it's indeed harder to think of games with more than 2 players that do it. A weaker version is "1-vs-team" games like Scotland Yard and Fury of Dracula (second edition)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss comes to mind. 4 players each take on a different role (the police, FARC, AUC, and cartels), and each one has a different playstyle and goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Diplomacy you can have your General to plot where to move your armies and navies and an ambassador to conduct foreign policy with the other players. Granted only 2 people per country but up to 7 countries.

IIRC, Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator let you have an entire bridge of people for space combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I've heard that Chaos in the Old World is kind of like this. At the very least it sounds highly asymmetrical even if your rule-breaking powers are interacting with the same system.

I had a game idea similar to what you're describing (albeit fantasy themed. One guy is the adventuring party, one the evil underground monsters, another a merchant, another a deity, etc) about a year ago so clearly we're not alone in this desire. If there isn't one out now there should be in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I've heard that Chaos in the Old World is kind of like this. At the very least it sounds highly asymmetrical even if your rule-breaking powers are interacting with the same system.

I've not played it but Chaos in the Old World was also the first thought I had when I saw the title. Most reviews say that each player is very different in goals and abilities (in a good way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Live the King does exactly this. Great fun if you can get a large number of people to spend the whole day at it. Not for people who find negotiation games boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Chaos in the Old World each player has a different goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.