Subject: Solo Play Speed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Mage_Knight [+] [View All]
Marcus Kielly
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! So I've played the solo variant quite a few times - and I'm repeatedly finding I'm either nowhere near the cities (mostly because I'm noodling around trying to pick up items/fame on the way there) or I get there and I haven't got the strength to take them out. This is mostly because the dummy player rinses it's deck with increasing speed as the game progresses - and so I never have enough time to do it.

As I understand it, you deal the same number of cards as there are crystals on the dummy card, and if the last one is the same colour as any of their crystals, you deal the same number of cards as the number those crystals.
On round rotation, you add one card to the dummy hand from the Advanced Actions deck, and one crystal that matches the lowest available spell.

Have I got the rules right? Can anyone offer me some strategic advice on how to do a bit better at solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you always draw 3 cards and if a color of the last drawn card matches crystals in the dummy player inventory you draw additional card/-s (depends how many crystals he has in this color).
You probably draw 6 cards in the second night? No wonder time was running so quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Villeneuve
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nowhere near being good at this game, but I have been in your situation. The thing that helped me improve the most is this tip: Don't be scared to take wounds. You have to in order to level up quick enough.

A good guideline to let you know if you're moving too fast through the world map (or too slow), is that you should find the first city during the 3rd Day.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to avoid the hassle of figuring out how to handle the dummy and you have an Android or iOS device, you can download the MK dummy player apps and use them.

Mage Knight Dummy Player for Android / iOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Kielly
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see now - thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
josef_k wrote:

Even then, I find that as time goes on the dummy player goes through his deck quicker, and I go through mine slower than when we started, and the pace of the game increases.

I can't talk about your personal impressions but mathematically this is not true.
During first day you have 3 crystals so each turn you add 3 cards plus on average 3/4 cards. With 16 cards in your deck this means that the dummy should reveal his last card during 5th turn, declaring end of game as 6th turn. Giving you 6-7 turns (depending of the turn order).

Of course reality is an asshole and loves to f**k statistics - so don't bet your money on this.

During third night the dummy has 21 cards and 8 crystals. This are on average 3 + 8/4 = 5 cards per turn. Again the dummy should reveal his last card during 5th turn, declaring end of game as 6th turn. Giving you 6-7 turns (depending of the turn order).

So if the distribution of te colours of new cards and new crystals is equal the length of the rounds should be equal over the whole game.

If Arythea always gets red cards and red crystals you should expect your last round to be 2 turns short - if the new cards and all crystals never match you can expect about one turn more.

For your own handmanagement I cant give a mathematical analyis. If you get many additional cards you have to balance this by spending more cards per turn, increased handsize due to level-up, keeps and cities should be helpful. If you never play cards sideways and always try to use each card optimal you'll get problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.