Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some OCTGN questions but didn't want to drive the other thread off-topic. I've never used the app before and have only played my copy of A:NR five times.

-How do you find opponents? Is there a lobby or some such in the application? Do you have to contact someone ahead of time (via forums or something)?

-I assume you can deck build. Is the interface easy enough to grasp? If I just want to grab a starter deck and combine it with the neutral cards is this simple enough?

-Any tips for a newbie? I don't know the cards by heart yet (I haven't played with half the factions even) so I imagine my play would be a little slow at times. Is this well tolerated by the majority of users? Should I make sure going into a game the person is OK playing with someone who is inexperienced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I have some OCTGN questions but didn't want to drive the other thread off-topic. I've never used the app before and have only played my copy of A:NR five times.

-How do you find opponents? Is there a lobby or some such in the application? Do you have to contact someone ahead of time (via forums or something)?

There is a general lobby.
You can also just open a game and wait for someone else to join you.

Quote:
-I assume you can deck build. Is the interface easy enough to grasp? If I just want to grab a starter deck and combine it with the neutral cards is this simple enough?

Yes - there is an in-house interface for deck building, or head over to www.cardgamedb.com to make decks that can then be exported in OCTGN format.

Quote:
-Any tips for a newbie? I don't know the cards by heart yet (I haven't played with half the factions even) so I imagine my play would be a little slow at times. Is this well tolerated by the majority of users?

We're all new - I still make mistakes.

Quote:
Should I make sure going into a game the person is OK playing with someone who is inexperienced?

Yes, and they'll probably help you learn the system too. If they're unwilling/unable, that's okay too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play you at some point, I hope!

I just log on, and if there's a game, I join. If there isn't, I host. There's also a lobby you can chat in. It's usually dead when I'm on.

You can deck build in the game, but better is to deckbuild on CardGamedb.com and save the deck on the manager there, and then save it as a OCTGN deck. It's worked PERFECTLY for me so far.

If you don't know how to do something, right click. Double-clicking on stuff also seems to do a lot of stuff (use ability mostly).

There's a chat box when you join a game - make sure you're on the correct side of the table (A for corp and B for runner) and while you're discussing who will do what, throw out there that you're new. So far, that's worked pretty well.

Edit:
ninja'd, 'cuz Byron is the NBN of this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bricker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
charlest wrote:

There is a lobby, that I'm pretty sure is just a front-end for an IRC server, but I'm not sure. It also searches/hosts games publicly for all players searching/hosting that particular game. So finding people is sometimes slow, but usually not too hard.

Quote:

There is, but it's atrocious. I'd recommend cardgamedb.com to build your deck and then export it from there for OCTGN.

Quote:
-Any tips for a newbie? I don't know the cards by heart yet (I haven't played with half the factions even) so I imagine my play would be a little slow at times. Is this well tolerated by the majority of users? Should I make sure going into a game the person is OK playing with someone who is inexperienced?

Slow play is to be expected, at least slower than real life, it's never as easy to manipulate cards in an online game. Just be sure to respond to your opponents if they're asking you questions in the in-game chat.

As for tips, as far as interface goes, be sure to use f1 and f12 to begin/end the turn respectively, that's the first ABSOLUTELY MUST DO thing. A lot of db0's automation won't work properly if you don't properly move through the game. The little green arrows on the tab put a header in for the person's turn, so it makes the log easier to follow if you use the arrow in addition to f1/f12 (Hit f12 to end the turn, click the arrow on your opponent's tab to signal your opponent to go.)

One thing that took me a long time to figure out is that none of the shortcuts will work if your cursor is in the chat box. Be sure to click on the table (anywhere works) when you're not actively chatting so that your keys do what they're supposed to do! XD

EDIT: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaiba wrote:

One thing that took me a long time to figure out is that none of the shortcuts will work if your cursor is in the chat box. Be sure to click on the table (anywhere works) when you're not actively chatting so that your keys do what they're supposed to do! XD

EDIT: ninja'd

I so hate that.

The key thing to look for is if there's a flashing cursor in the text box for chat, you need to click somewhere else. If it says "Click here to chat!" or whatever, then you can use the shortcut keys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

If I wanted to use a starter deck with neutrals combined, would it still be best for me to build this at cardgamedb or is there an easy way to select the pre-built decks in OCTGN?

Think I'll try and get this running tomorrow as I have some time to kill and all my gaming buddies are busy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarch Starter
Criminal Starter
Shaper Starter
HB Starter
Jinteki Starter
NBN Starter
Weyland Starter

Right below the decklist there will be a 'Save as OCTGN deck' button. Click that and save it and you'll be good to go. Thanks to
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
for putting them all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Thanks guys!

If I wanted to use a starter deck with neutrals combined, would it still be best for me to build this at cardgamedb or is there an easy way to select the pre-built decks in OCTGN?

Think I'll try and get this running tomorrow as I have some time to kill and all my gaming buddies are busy.

I think the starter decks are available off the same site you download the A:N plugin from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Thanks guys!

The starter decks are included in the more recent downloads. If you look in the /decks directory of the install you'll see them.

Jythier beat me to the punch on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm being dense, but when do you get to load your deck in - I can't find that option...

Do you only do that after starting a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaochou wrote:
Maybe I'm being dense, but when do you get to load your deck in - I can't find that option...

Do you only do that after starting a game?

Yes, after you start up a game.

You can test this by starting a game with just yourself
A - Corp
B - Runner

You can poke around the commands (right click in the 'table' for a menu) and experiment a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Anarch Starter
Criminal Starter
Shaper Starter
HB Starter
Jinteki Starter
NBN Starter
Weyland Starter

Right below the decklist there will be a 'Save as OCTGN deck' button. Click that and save it and you'll be good to go. Thanks to
Kevin Worth
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
for putting them all together.

Excellent, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even though I've played a handful of games now, I always tell people I'm new in case they want to duck out. (And if I make a game, I just called it Newbie Player or whatever.) People have been very nice so far, and it's definitely a system you'll want to use 5+ times just to even know what you're doing mechanically.

I still need to participate in more runs and the like. That's still confusing to me in terms of how every step is supposed to work on both sides. Everyone seems to do it a bit differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Even though I've played a handful of games now, I always tell people I'm new in case they want to duck out. (And if I make a game, I just called it Newbie Player or whatever.) People have been very nice so far, and it's definitely a system you'll want to use 5+ times just to even know what you're doing mechanically.

I still need to participate in more runs and the like. That's still confusing to me in terms of how every step is supposed to work on both sides. Everyone seems to do it a bit differently.

I'm still not sure about traces from the runner side, mostly because I've been corp 4 out of 5 games or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

My first plays of the game were on OCTGN. For my first game, I spectated a great match between bushinone and bierfuzl - I remember their names so well because they both kept asking me if I understood what was going on, kept teaching me how they were playing (usually without prompting), and narrating their agonizing decisions and situations for my benefit. Very eager to teach, they seemed to enjoy the opportunity to play to a crowd. I sure as hell enjoyed the experience, and I didn't even get to play myself until the next day.

My next several matches were specimens I thought would have been less patient to play a newb as I had to simultaneously learn the game and the OCTGN controls. But what I was wrong every time - all the subjects I've played against were always eager to help and incessantly patient with me. So, I've come to an inevitable conclusion: tha OCTGN A:NR collective is so stoked to be able to play their beloved game online that they've inherited a genetic immunity to impatience and n00b annoyance. Driving away potential prey just does not fit their behavioral profile.

TL;DR: It's an awesome community. You won't irritate any of us, especially if you forewarn us of your inexperience. In fact, I personally volunteer to be your first game - you can GM me if you want to arrange something, or seek me out in the OCTGN lobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:

I played my first full game with db0, and he was very patient and a great opponent. He definitely increased my respect for the Anarch card, "Parasite", I didn't think much about this card, until it started eating it's way into my Hadrian's Wall!...Thanx db0!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to dink around with OCTGN solo? Or must one play someone else to learn?

Either way, it sounds like spectating might be a nice way to ease into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the proper way to execute Archived Memories? Just play it, Look at all cards, and drag to your hand? (Even if from face-down.)

Grotius wrote:
Is it possible to dink around with OCTGN solo? Or must one play someone else to learn?

Not against AI, but you can play a one-sided game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
What is the proper way to execute Archived Memories? Just play it, Look at all cards, and drag to your hand

Similarly, is it possible to have the game not accuse me of cheating when I score an agenda at a discount thanks to San San Grid? I had it out and tried it both just scoring it one advance early, and then the next time, double clicking San San before doing so... Both times, it came up with a big all caps warning that I was scoring despite not having advanced it sufficiently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Since presently there is no way to install something in a server, something I'm sure DB is working on, there's no way to determine where exactly SanSan is. For that reason it would be difficult to let the program know that there is an agenda being scored in that fort. Same way with actual Ice checking for strengths and the like as there's no real way to install everything such that this ice knows it's getting a boost from Experiential Data. I've had a few thoughts on how to do it, but Python is not my first language and all of the OCTGN Scripting is in Python.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Seretis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Grotius wrote:

You can easily set up a game locally,whether it is a two player game over a LAN or just you playing both sides of the game.
To do that,once you start OCTGN instead of clicking on login, go to the top left corner, click on OCTGN, offline play and Host Game.
You will need to give a username for your player,and after that the second player will have to connect.
If it's someone over LAN, just tell him to do the same thing, but select Connect to game, and type in your IP address.
Otherwise, just open a second instance of OCTGN and connect to your game.If you do this, you don't have to type in an IP address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. That makes perfect sense, Edwin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
AstroLad wrote:
What is the proper way to execute Archived Memories? Just play it, Look at all cards, and drag to your hand

Similarly, is it possible to have the game not accuse me of cheating when I score an agenda at a discount thanks to San San Grid? I had it out and tried it both just scoring it one advance early, and then the next time, double clicking San San before doing so... Both times, it came up with a big all caps warning that I was scoring despite not having advanced it sufficiently...

DB0's more likely to see this request in a bug report.

Re: Netrunner OCTGN Tournament: 1 Registration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kolev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
For my first game, I spectated a great match...

Err... is it possible to watch matches in OCTGN? How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikolev wrote:
galathonredd wrote:
For my first game, I spectated a great match...

Err... is it possible to watch matches in OCTGN? How?

You go in on the game, then don't load a deck. Voila!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.