Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first question came up in another thread here but didn't seem to be resolved.

A) Does a player place a man on the initial tiles placed during setup and move on the investment track (or just place two men as the case may be)? This seems to be the case with the revised rules stating that all normal placement options apply to those first tiles.

B) There seems to be a problem with the scoring example in the revised rules. That example has 5 buildings, 2 markets and a minstrel house. For each building present at least one man is also placed. The example states that blue placed the last building and placed 2 men. So that means there should be 6 men present, right, which is what the example shows? BUT the rules also state that when placing a minstrel house the player gets to add a single man, to the house placed I'm assuming but that isn't stated. So the minstrel house should also have a man on it. So now the question is, does that minstrel house count as a building when calculating block control? I'm guessing that 'buildings' refers to actual guild buildings (not markets as the rules clearly say). The special tiles (tavern and minstrel house) wouldn't count as buildings. Is this correct? The man on the minstrel house would count for determining the tie breaker for block control however. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from the designer on these questions and here are the answers:

alkaiser wrote:

A) Does a player place a man on the initial tiles placed during setup and move on the investment track (or just place two men as the case may be)? This seems to be the case with the revised rules stating that all normal placement options apply to those first tiles.

The initial tile placed in the set-up for each player works like all other tiles when they are placed except for the two restrictions mentioned in the set-up instructions. So you do place a man, and/or move on the guild influence track as the case may be.

Quote:
B) There seems to be a problem with the scoring example in the revised rules. That example has 5 buildings, 2 markets and a minstrel house. For each building present at least one man is also placed. The example states that blue placed the last building and placed 2 men. So that means there should be 6 men present, right, which is what the example shows? BUT the rules also state that when placing a minstrel house the player gets to add a single man, to the house placed I'm assuming but that isn't stated. So the minstrel house should also have a man on it. So now the question is, does that minstrel house count as a building when calculating block control? I'm guessing that 'buildings' refers to actual guild buildings (not markets as the rules clearly say). The special tiles (tavern and minstrel house) wouldn't count as buildings. Is this correct? The man on the minstrel house would count for determining the tie breaker for block control however. Is that correct?

I missed one word in the description of the minstrel house and that word was 'may'. You may place a man on the minstrel house when you place it but unlike the guild buildings it is not required. Also like the guild buildings, if you have no men left then you can still place a minstrel house. For determining block control the minstrel house does count when adding up buildings unless of course it doesn't have a man on it. Basically, any building with a man on it counts toward a players total within a block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Welbourne
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
The answer to the first question is that no man is placed on the set up tile
and 2 you may if you wish place a man on the minstral house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kaiser wrote:
I heard back from the designer on these questions and here are the answers:

The initial tile placed in the set-up for each player works like all other tiles when they are placed except for the two restrictions mentioned in the set-up instructions. So you do place a man, and/or move on the guild influence track as the case may be.

Markus Welbourne wrote:
The answer to the first question is that no man is placed on the set up tile

So who is right? Designer or producer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:

So who is right? Designer or producer?

As I stated, the revised rules state that normal placement rules apply to those first tile. I asked just to clarify since there was some question about it based on the original rules. So I'd say stick with what the designer and the revised rules say. It certainly makes sense and doesn't hurt anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.