Tanto Cuore: Romantic Vacation» Forums » General

Subject: Indiegogo Funding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romantic Vacation is not being funded through Kickstarter, and is instead being funded through Indiegogo.

http://www.indiegogo.com/tantocuore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virata
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to wonder why the change? Were they afraid they might get the Tentacle Bento treatment and pulled off?

Also, I wonder why they went the kickstarter/indiegogo route (is there a descriptive word for kickstarting something...without using the proper name?) as I thought they announced the game was going to be released in December...

Edit: To answer my own 1st question: Yes. Proof: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13578/crowdfunding-rou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ZeoH HoeZ

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They ran into snags with Kanzume Goddess, so I bet that pushed other projects back as well. Kanzune is now coming out in November instead of September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
rolvtd wrote:
Edit: To answer my own 1st question: Yes. Proof: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13578/crowdfunding-rou...

WHAT

THE

FUCK

!?

I mean, jesus CHRIST, people. Jesus

CHRIST!

o.O

*loss of words*

Kickstarter: "OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS WANTING TO FUND A CARD GAME WITH NAUGHTY PICTURES WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT BOOOOO HOO HOO HOO HOO"

Dear god.

Dear

GOD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virata
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
rolvtd wrote:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

!?

I mean, jesus CHRIST, people. Jesus

CHRIST!

o.O

*loss of words*

Kickstarter: "OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS WANTING TO FUND A CARD GAME WITH NAUGHTY PICTURES WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT BOOOOO HOO HOO HOO HOO"

Dear god.

Dear

GOD!

I would accuse you of over reacting just a bit.....if I didn't have the same reaction...

The decisions at Kickstarter are making me shake my head lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rolvtd wrote:

It might be a sore toe, but I have no problem with people not liking the art, or thinking it looks too naughty for their tastes.

I have very very very very very many problems with large institutions like Kickstarter (or whatever) thinking naughty art is a problem serious enough to disallow it. What are they inferring, crime?

Jesus christ… *shakes head and walks away*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
rolvtd wrote:

It might be a sore toe, but I have no problem with people not liking the art, or thinking it looks too naughty for their tastes.

I have very very very very very many problems with large institutions like Kickstarter (or whatever) thinking naughty art is a problem serious enough to disallow it. What are they inferring, crime?

Ugh...

I agree completely. I think I'm going to toss a complaint letter over to Kickstarter sometime soon.

One question before I do though; I looked at all the images here on BGG and I don't see anything that would be offensive or "nudity", just large breasts, cleavage, and panties; risque but not offensive (well, not offensive to most people, at least). The subject matter of hiring maids is also incredibly tame (I can understand pulling Tentacle Bento because of the whole "tentacle rape" idea, even if it's intended to be satire). Is there something that's not posted here that would be a larger contributor, or is it all mostly the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virata
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
rolvtd wrote:

Ugh...

I agree completely. I think I'm going to toss a complaint letter over to Kickstarter sometime soon.

One question before I do though; I looked at all the images here on BGG and I don't see anything that would be offensive or "nudity", just large breasts, cleavage, and panties; risque but not offensive (well, not offensive to most people, at least). The subject matter of hiring maids is also incredibly tame (I can understand pulling Tentacle Bento because of the whole "tentacle rape" idea, even if it's intended to be satire). Is there something that's not posted here that would be a larger contributor, or is it all mostly the same?

As these things are almost always subjective, if you do not mind spoilers, I would check it out for yourself. Below is the link to the Japanese website, and if you click on the "English card text" of the cards, you can see all the images in the set in a pdf:

http://www.arclight.co.jp/ag/tc/index.php?page=english&id=01
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Waters
Finland
flag msg tools
Sethala wrote:
The subject matter of hiring maids is also incredibly tame

Apparently not everyone feels that way. For the views of some of the opposition campaigning against the game,see here: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=258542624266218&sto...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ZeoH HoeZ

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YannWaters wrote:
Sethala wrote:

Apparently not everyone feels that way. For the views of some of the opposition campaigning against the game,see here: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=258542624266218&sto...

Well that's... ridiculous. Jeez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YannWaters wrote:
Sethala wrote:

I can get behind this part on basic principle, regardless of the subject in question:
Quote:
In the meantime, vote with your dollars. Don't fund it. Don't let your friends fund it. Send The MESSAGE by killing the market. (Hence no link, so they don't get publicity from this post.)

But this takes it across the line - a "we don't like it so you shouldn't have access to it":

Quote:
Somebody might want to start a movement to get Tanto Cuore off IGG, although IGG may not have any applicable rules that apply. Certainly if someone were to start such a movement, we would be supportive of that.

It reeks of what one site I was reading earlier refers to as the "male feminist hipster douchebag".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, personal "I don't want this, so I don't want to fund it" is one thing, but "no one should have this because I don't like it" stinks like yesterday's socks.

Being irritated that maids are women is like being irritated that birth-givers to babies are women. I mean, it's part of the very definition of a maid – a female servant. They seem to have forgotten that there are male counterparts, both historically and contemporarily (or maybe they haven't been to any of the many host/butler bars in Japan).

Hawking down on cute imagery of girls as sexist is such a huge brainfart and one-sided that it's downright baffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YannWaters wrote:
Sethala wrote:

Can't wait for the response when Barbarossa comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YannWaters wrote:
Sethala wrote:

Wow. I died a little inside reading that.

I think I'm going to write up a letter to Indiegogo and tell them thanks for hosting the game. Might as well try and halt some of the politically-correct hate that group's spewing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
Tanto Cuore is a pretty abstract game, which lends itself to personal interprations. Much like how some people detest Puerto Rico for simulating the slave trade and Mr. Jack for allowing a serial killer to escape, the game is as offensive as you want it to be.

So if some people go as far as to come to a conclusion that Tanto Cuore endorses objectification of women, that's fine. Personally, I think these people are just reading too much into the theme (and this theme has been covered before). But the FB group does come across as pushy by asking the public to protest the game based on the group's personal interpretation on the game. By not providing links to the actual product, they're denying the public a chance to a clearer, balanced picture on what they're opposing, and that's just unfair.

Speaking a little off tangent, it's a little bewildering how some people commented on the RV contest page on how much they hate the game for its theme...and enter the contest anyway. Hypocritical much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SockHandPuppet wrote:
YannWaters wrote:
Sethala wrote:

Can't wait for the response when Barbarossa comes out.

Just their reaction makes it worthwhile to put out Barbarossa. Go, Cardhaus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow_bind wrote:
Speaking a little off tangent, it's a little bewildering how some people commented on the RV contest page on how much they hate the game for its theme...and enter the contest anyway. Hypocritical much?

Maybe they want the game and clear their name at the same time. But it does indeed echo a bit like "Oh, I actually HATE that people use cars so much. Can anyone give me a free ride?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Waters
Finland
flag msg tools
shadow_bind wrote:
So if some people go as far as to come to a conclusion that Tanto Cuore endorses objectification of women, that's fine. Personally, I think these people are just reading too much into the theme (and this theme has been covered before).

That part about how "all women are servants and all servants are women - and all masters are men" certainly isn't true as a generalization about all games in "the maid genre". For instance, only about half of the master characters in the examples and scenarios included in Maid RPG are specifically male, while about half of those are actually underage boys who need looking after, with the youngest being eleven. In fact, the main example of a master throughout the book is the vampire lady Nejiri. And of course, the very random chargen gives any maid the same chances of being "actually a guy" as being, say, a catgirl...

Hmm. Is there any reason why the masters of the house in Tanto Cuore would necessarily be interpreted as men in particular, instead of whatever the players happen to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YannWaters wrote:
Hmm. Is there any reason why the masters of the house in Tanto Cuore would necessarily be interpreted as men in particular, instead of whatever the players happen to be?

No. It's not mentioned anywhere. Might as well be a young girl as an old lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl T.
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mb
YannWaters wrote:
Well, the general description of the game is a little gender-specific - it constantly uses terms like 'master', 'lord' and 'king' to refer to the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the love of god. It's just a game. I'll never understand why people get so uptight about petty little things such as this and feel the need to go into a politically correct debate. If they don't like it, then just don't buy it and let leave the rest of us alone.

Everyone wants to control everyone else now-a-days. Bah humbug!!! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Virata
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow_bind wrote:
YannWaters wrote:
Well, the general description of the game is a little gender-specific - it constantly uses terms like 'master', 'lord' and 'king' to refer to the players.

Eye of the beholder I guess - I don't see Master or Lord as being gender specific so only 1 out of 3....and if you ever read the Xanth books, even King is iffy. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rolvtd wrote:
Eye of the beholder I guess - I don't see Master or Lord as being gender specific so only 1 out of 3....and if you ever read the Xanth books, even King is iffy. ^_^

That goes for Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero as well - for both "king" and "master".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rolvtd wrote:
shadow_bind wrote:
YannWaters wrote:

Or if you know who Jadwiga of Poland is. Polish law at the time specified that a queen couldn't be ruler, but it never specified that the king had to be male. There's quite a few other cases throughout history, as well. The constitution of Denmark defines the office as just "The King", but also specifies that the ruler could be of either gender (although when a woman is ruler, she's still called "Queen" even in official documents).

So yeah, there's no reason to assume that the master of the mansion can't also be a woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh guys...

There's no doubt that starting a crusade against the pin-up art of Tanto is ridiculous, but it seems also a little ridiculous to base our righteous indignation on the idea that "the master of the house could be female and so it can't possibly be sexist and exploitive!"

I mean really...

You're building a maid harem for crying out loud. Yes, it's light hearted and fun in a sitcom way with a pin up aesthetic that's at most semi-burlesque sexy. However there is light sexual innuendo and that's part of what makes it fun and part of where the humor comes from. That innuendo is based on a master / servant relationship, which is unequal and that, by definition, also adds sexual tension. Some people like that, some people don't.

What I think is awesome about our culture is that it's OK to do that, even if some people don't like it because there is a line between promoting horrible real world acts, and fantasy.

We do a disservice to our shared culture of tolerance and though-freedom if we pretend that some of the thought-freedoms we defend (violent video games, sexy card games, dystopian sci-fi, gay pirate comedies, etc.) can't be distasteful to some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.