Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Lycanthrope Assassin landing on a Minotaur at night with a Dragon King Scale.

What happens?

Even more important, what is the rationale behind making that decision, level by level?

I'm the arbiter at our games and my ruling has been most recent overlay takes precedence, and our group is okay with that.
(Must encounter as a Lycanthrope applies first, along with the roll on the Werewolf chart before Dragon Scale and the Assassinate force of life loss instead of normal reward.)

I have seen this answered differently, so the rationale behind the decision is more important than a "IT MUST BE PLAYED THIS WAY" as a decree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says somewhere in the rulebook that any card effect that clashes/contradicts the normal rules, takes precedence. Since Lycanthropy is a card, then all its effects override the normal rules for the Dragon.
Thus your Lycanthrope Assassin will have to attack the Minotaur ignoring the Dragon King's scale.

To avoid these situations, we don't play with the Blood Moon+Dragon together.
The Blood Moon cards are far more complex in terms of triggering conditions than any cards in the other expansions that I own, so we play with them only when no other external rules are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if the dragon scale matches the current Dragon King, then the scale must be encountered by the Assassin regardless of whether or not he is a Lycanthrope.

The normal scenario for landing on a space without a dragon scale that matches the current Dragon King, is to choose to encounter either a character in the space, the space itself, or the dragon scale. If the character is a Lycanthrope and it is night time, the choice is taken away from him and he must attack the character there.

However if the space has a dragon scale that matches the current Dragon King, then the character must encounter the dragon scale there as the scale prevents the character from encountering any character (see can vs. cannot on page 15 of the core rulebook). The Special Ability vs. Rules does not apply in this situation, as the dragon scale takes precedence in its forbidding effect.

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.