Subject: Hair, google images and gender + race. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I just happened to search google images for "Hair", and found that the vast majority of images linked to caucasian females. There is not a single man until page four, and the next doesn't appear until page 7. Both of them caucasian.

I guess internet users like looking at the hair of caucasian women?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I just happened to search google images for "Hair", and found that the vast majority of images linked to caucasian females. There is not a single man until page four, and the next doesn't appear until page 7. Both of them caucasian.

How strange. I googled "Hairless" and I also got lots of women.

And of Ashes, the hairless chimp.
Then random hairless cats.
Finally some male midriffs- not many faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I *really* like women with long brown hair. Maybe all my google searches has biased the algorithm. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I would assume that most people searching for "hair" are looking for hair styles. The majority of these people would be women, and the majority of those women white.

Google is great for finding what's popular. Not so much for niche things unless you really work at it. So, yeah. I'm not sure what you expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you religiously block Google from gaining information about you, Google search will present only things it thinks you like or will be interested in. Also, recent searches will affect subsequent searches. What you see is probably not what anyone else sees.

Of course, it's not news that women are far more beauty-oriented than men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I just searched google images for "feet" and got the same thing. Shall we try other body parts in between hair and feet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Unless you religiously block Google from gaining information about you, Google search will present only things it thinks you like or will be interested in. Also, recent searches will affect subsequent searches. What you see is probably not what anyone else sees.

Of course, it's not news that women are far more beauty-oriented than men.

Ah, so it says more about me and my wife's searching habits, and very little about the public.

Carry on then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got at least one bloke in page 1, but yep mostly women. But I do suspect that this is More about the idea that people looking for "hair" are looking for styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
You are the first to mention racism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing race ≠ Racism
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
I just searched google images for "feet" and got the same thing. Shall we we try other body parts in between hair and feet?

Would probably produce similar results to hairless. Only a few of those women above were hairless on their heads. whistle

Favorite feet images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:
Asian woman second hit.
Two black women on page two.
White dude page four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

This must be true. This is what I got:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.