Subject: Multiple IceBreakers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking. Can i use effects from 2 different icebreakers against one ice encounter.
I dont have the cards to hand, But theres an icebreaker that allows you to spend credits to give an Ice -1 strength, so if i brought the Ices strength lower like that; could i then use another sufficiently strong Icebreaker to break the actual subroutines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes you can use Wyrm to lower an Ice's strength and then break the routines with a proper icebreaker. Just remember with Wyrm you have to enhance it to the Ice's strength before you start weakening the ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So,just for clarity's sake here's how Wyrm works.
Suppose you have Wyrm (strength 1) and Yog.0 (strength 3) installed and come up against Chum (strength 4), and you wanted to break it. you would pay:
3 credits on Wyrm to boost it to strength 4, so Wyrm can interact with Chum.
1 credit on Wyrm to reduce Chum to strength 3.
0 credits on Yog.0 to break Chum's subroutine, now that Yog can interact with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh. I've totally been cheating with Wyrm. Doh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I didn't realize at first either. Very expensive to use. I guess now we know where dragons get those hoards of gold. It's good with Parasite though, especially if you have some Datasucker tokens to sweeten the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
Yes you can use Wyrm to lower an Ice's strength and then break the routines with a proper icebreaker. Just remember with Wyrm you have to enhance it to the Ice's strength before you start weakening the ice.

Ah, I hadnt been doing that with Wyrm. But cheers for clarification guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JBgames wrote:
Just remember with Wyrm you have to enhance it to the Ice's strength before you start weakening the ice.

Why is this? I don't have cards or rules in front of me, but based on what I'm seeing on CardGameDB:

CardGameDB]3 [Credits]: Break ice subroutine on a piece of ice with 0 or less strength.
1 [Credits]: Ice has -1 strength.
1 [Credits wrote:
: +1 strength.

Why can't I use the second ability on something that the Wyrm isn't as strong as?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the rule is that you need to match strength to interact with the ICE. And pulling down its strength seems verymuch like interacting / doing something with the ICE.. donĀ“t you think so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that was a rule. Guess that's good to know! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherwise you wouldn't need to boost strength to break subroutines either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:

I just thought you had to have an icebreaker of the correct kind with as much power as the ICE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
nom_ wrote:

I just thought you had to have an icebreaker of the correct kind with as much power as the ICE.

Well, barring any special weaknesses that the ICE might have (i.e. Bioroids), if a particular icebreaker equals or exceeds the ICE's strength, then that icebreaker can manipulate the ICE.

From a purely theoretical perspective, any icebreaker has the potential to manipulate a piece of ICE if its strength is equal or greater, but usually you want one of the functions of that icebreaker to be able to break the subroutines of that ICE. You could boost Ninja to match Hadrian's Wall and theoretically be able to have Ninja manipulate HW, but Ninja has no way to break barrier subroutines.

Wyrm "works" in that its primary purpose isn't to break subroutines (notice how worthless/expensive its subroutine-breaking function is), but to lower the strength of the ICE so that other icebreakers (particularly breaking-efficient but low or fixed strength programs like Yog.0 or Mimic) can now be used.

And no matter what certain troll-lawyers might have said, you are never required to have an icebreaker installed with a matching strength to interact with a piece of ICE, if that ICE allows alternative means to break subroutines. (It's as if the identity card of all runners has invisible text that says "You may interact with a piece of ICE if it gives you alternative means of doing so" *eyeroll*)

If I go up against Ichi 1.0, I can either:

1) spend time (clicks) fast-talking / buddying up with him and break subroutines that way, or
2) Have previously installed Femme Fatale with Ichi as the target, and she seduces him while I spend a few credits to bypass, or
3) I can employ a breaker (or a combination of Wyrm/Parasite/Datasucker and something else as previously indicated) and subvert him in the usual manner.

Wyrm/Datasucker/Ice Carver combined with Parasite introduces a relatively new concept in running strategy: ice destruction (rather than ice subversion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful writeup, Zach. Thank you for spelling a lot of things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.