Subject: The Kessel run in less than 12 Parsecs... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without trying to sound too boring, I like "chess puzzles"... sigh, oh that sounds SO bad.

My shame for my nerdyness aside, I like looking at the board, with its tactical scenario already in play and figuring out the "optimal move".

In a similar way I have been using the many many asteroids I got in my X-wing starters to create "Navigation Puzzles" for a solo ship in space.

Its simple really and you can ramp up the difficulty as you get better.

You set up a small field of asteroids, the closer they are together and the number of different tight turns there are within the cluster defines just how hard it will be for you as a pilot to get through to the other side without becoming a space pancake.

Its a solo thing and ends up being like doing a Sudoku, or a maze, as you find the best way through various random asteroid fields you make.

You can also challenge your friends, add a timer, add small satellites as targets inside the field, and figure out the least number moves to make it through the field, sort of like golf, but with crashing and death.

Naturally because of the differences in handling, an asteroid field navigated one way by a tie fighter may have to done differently in an X-wing.

Set up an asteroid field, I encourage you, Nav the course turn by turn, like a sub in an ocean trench with every turn guessed to the meter.

You get it wrong and BOOM!

Start again...

If you dont have many cardboard asteroids like those in the starter, there are these cool little replicas they make of them these days... they are called "rocks" and you can find them in a place called "outside"...

Can you do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a neat idea.

Something else to try:

Replace all shields with hull and every asteroid hit automatically causes a crit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
Sounds like a neat idea.

Something else to try:

Replace all shields with hull and every asteroid hit automatically causes a crit.

Mmmmm your idea has some real merit... But, the real appeal of the challenge is how fatal ALL mistakes are... You know, just like dating.

A great rebel pilot once said "deflector shields are for pansies, I'm so tough when I battle in space I leave the canopy OPEN!"

Mmmmm yes, wise words right there, who knew Chuck Norris was a rebel pilot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas but this should be posted under Variants. A non-fatal mistake to be sure but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Interesting ideas but this should be posted under Variants. A non-fatal mistake to be sure but still...

Oh come on Dragon, its still "the game" its just the player taking his fighter out for a bit of a spin around the asteroid field.

It cant all be lasers and action every day, why as a lad I would sometimes just take out my T-16 and target womp rats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea,

I don't see it so much as a variant.

My first experience with asteroids was in a two player scenario and found that my ability to navigate the asteroids wasn't nearly as good as my ability to navigate around other fighters.

This kind of scenario builds up that experience and does a good job of prepping you for your first asteroid scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.