Subject: Yard sale find rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I stopped by a yard sale today on my way into town and found an unopened case of Magi-Nation Duel Unlimited edition boosters. The boosters are each in cardboard packaging, the kind for individual sale, there were 6 boxes in the case, each with 24 booster packs. At any rate I offered $10 for the case and they accepted gladly.
Are they worth keeping? My son is a big fan of the Pokemon TCG and actually still watches the Migi-Nation cartoon on Netflix. I like the art on the cards from a couple of the packs I let my son open. The problem is it says you need a pre-built deck to play. Why is that? What would we not get from opening a couple dozen boosters? Thanks for any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joboBaggins wrote:
I stopped by a yard sale today on my way into town and found an unopened case of Magi-Nation Duel Unlimited edition boosters. The boosters are each in cardboard packaging, the kind for individual sale, there were 6 boxes in the case, each with 24 booster packs. At any rate I offered $10 for the case and they accepted gladly.
Are they worth keeping? My son is a big fan of the Pokemon TCG and actually still watches the Migi-Nation cartoon on Netflix. I like the art on the cards from a couple of the packs I let my son open. The problem is it says you need a pre-built deck to play. Why is that? What would we not get from opening a couple dozen boosters? Thanks for any feedback.

You could make a deck from what you have. If you need to, ignore the in-region out-of-region rules.

Crack it open and have fun!

Nothing is super-valuable from this game now-a-days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I assumed there was some kind of "energy" card like in Pokemon that you didn't get in the boosters. Are counters and dice the only extras the decks come with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joboBaggins wrote:

I assumed there was some kind of "energy" card like in Pokemon that you didn't get in the boosters. Are counters and dice the only extras the decks come with?

Counters, dice, and rules.

When I played, I used the little glass beads you put in fish tanks for energy. They were easier to mess with than the official cardboard energy tokens anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always preferred to use 10 sided dice. I bought a bundle intended for one of the White Wolf RPGs and used those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
joboBaggins wrote:

You could make a deck from what you have. If you need to, ignore the in-region out-of-region rules.

What are the in-region out-of-region rules? Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joboBaggins wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
joboBaggins wrote:

What are the in-region out-of-region rules? Thanks again.

Do you have a rule book? Try to find one at least before you play

In a nutshell: out of region stuff costs 1 more to play. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do not have a rule book, though I did find a website that has a good summary. My son and I have each built a deck and we will give it a try as soon as we have time, stand by for rules clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe N
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well we gave it a first try and it really confused my son. I am not sure he had much fun. What really seemed to bother him was the attack phase coming before the playing creatures phase, he did not like not being able to attack with the creatures he just put in. We didn't even make it through one Magi before it was getting close to bedtime for the fella. Is it a fairly long game? Is the 60 minute playtime accurate? Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joboBaggins wrote:
Well we gave it a first try and it really confused my son. I am not sure he had much fun. What really seemed to bother him was the attack phase coming before the playing creatures phase, he did not like not being able to attack with the creatures he just put in. We didn't even make it through one Magi before it was getting close to bedtime for the fella. Is it a fairly long game? Is the 60 minute playtime accurate? Thanks again.

Once you get it, it takes 20-30 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.