Popular Tags: [View All]
Sami Kilpinen
Finland
Helsinki / Vantaa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I still have a bunch of these cards lying around and would like to somehow make casual draft decks based on each race / subfaction.

What I mean is, I'd make an Orc & Goblin army deck draft box, or maybe just ready made casual, themed decks (one could even be a Night Goblin theme deck) with no effort put into making the decks ├╝ber. I'd even sort them out according to rarity in the Warhammer tabletop game, which most of us are fans of!

The action/tactic/whatever cards could maybe all be in a big box for common drafting.

I just haven't done anything like this before, so I was wondering if any of you lot had any ideas how to do it best?

Back in the day we did a lot of theme decks, too, but in the end the game didn't handle "power-building" decks too well - it got a bit old and we got bored sometime after the discontinuation of the game.

But I was wondering if with fun, casual, drafted theme decks we could revitalize the magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Casa Grande
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Your idea is interesting...what would you consider a deck draft box?

I separated my collection into two boxes; good guys and bad guys. So when we play you grab one box or the other and make a deck. I divided the "neutral" cards as evenly as I could between the two boxes. I didn't make particular decks, just limited the player's choices to do so.

My intentions were to go another step and divide the collection further into races/factions; just make a smaller box for the orc stuff, dwarf stuff, empire, etc...

...just haven't taken the time to do it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Kilpinen
Finland
Helsinki / Vantaa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like your plans are similar to mine. I don't really like the "let's mix everyone up Storm of Chaos-style" alliances that don't fit the Warhammer world, for me it's all about racial decks.

A deck draft box would be a box full of action cards, for example. I think some sort of combing out to make sure there aren't too many of a particular card might be required, but maybe not.

The main question is, would I want ready-made decks so that people could easily play without taking the time to build decks or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Casa Grande
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned a lesson over the years collecting and playing MTG (Magic). I now own over 20,000 cards and I admit the collection is completely ridiculous. It is great fun as a collector to own that many cards but to have that many choices when building a deck can be daunting. That many cards made the game so huge it's now too big, too much. Having more cards didn't make the game more fun.

Our group was at the bar one night reminiscing about how the game was most fun back in the '90's when all we had collections of under, or less than, say 300 cards. Cards were more valuable in trades and many cards took on personalities of their own. Cards that are underpowered or useless now were great back then.

Most of my group members have given me their collections over the years. I have since divided the entire collection of cards into sets and now when we play everyone only uses cards from one particular set, and we all share.

Anyway, I agree with you. Too many cards and too many choices, equates to a chaotic and watered down atmosphere/theme. What makes Warhammer Fantasy great is the world they've created and the racial tensions that are essential to the story. Racial decks or at least bad guys vs good guys is the only way to go.

Our conversation has energized me (thank you) to delve into my Warhammer Invasion collection. My plan is to go ahead and separate all the racial cards in to boxes. So if a player wants to play orcs, for example, he has only so many cards to choose from. I think keeping the generic cards in a draft box is a good idea. Perhaps having a house rule that limits a player to a set amount of choices from that community box might work?

As for ready made decks vs players building their own decks; I think that depends on your gaming group or who you plan to play with. If you have mostly novices then pre made decks would be the way to go. If many in your group are veteran players or at least familiar with deck building, then let them build the decks themselves. After all, deck building is a fun and important aspect to this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Kilpinen
Finland
Helsinki / Vantaa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Nice to hear you've been energized by this discussion.

Maybe then this would be the plan of attack: separate all the 6 main faction army cards into boxes of 100/200/300, or something in between, whichever is a good common size that each race can make, and retain some sort of ratio between common and less common unit types.
When building a deck, you draft a number of these cards and furthermore form a deck from what you drafted.

Action cards can be drafted in a similar manner, or in a circle draft with a number of players.

Another fun idea could be campaigns, where the cards you drafted are your reserves, and units killed in battle might not be able to be reused, with a dice roll modified by whether the unit was routed or didn't rout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.