United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cracked open Biblios and played two quick 4 player games. Overall I found it a lot of fun-- lost miserably twice, but I want a rematch. devil It feels almost like a game of gin followed by a game of poker at first, but now that I'm more familiar with the cards I think I can see more strategy there if you're astutely observant.

The game in my collection that it reminded me the most of was Dominant Species: The Card Game because of the screwage during the Auction (more because of complexity and feel than similar mechanics).

In a nutshell for the uninitiated, in a 4 player game you start the game with the Gift phase where you take turns drawing 5 cards off the deck one at a time and keeping 1, putting 1 face down for auction later and putting the 3 remaining cards face up on the table for the other players. This goes on until you go through the whole deck, then you shuffle the auction deck and bid on each card. Once you're done with that you see who has the highest score in each of the 3 colors. Church cards are instant effects that alter the victory points +/-1 for one or more colors (each is worth 3 VP at first).

Half the group was glazed over during the rules, but everyone got it after we started playing. The only rule error our first game was that we hadn't read about the Church cards until we got to them and initially missed the sentence that said they are resolved immediately when someone takes them.

Fun, fast game that I will play again. Limited to 4, so 7 Wonders will still be the mainstay short filler for 5+, but I'd play Biblios any day. Now I can't wait to try Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like it, but please try it with 2! To me, the 2 player game is by far the best. I've tried 3 and 4, but 2 works so well because you see most of the cards your opponent gets, so you can estimate who has the most of each color. From there it becomes a game of bluffing and efficient use of resources, very tense! With 3 or 4 it is too hard to keep track of who has what (at least for me) so there is more luck involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of 2 player gpames today, and you're right that it was more about bluffing and long term plans. The first game came down to the gold tiebreaker and the second game my opponent ran out of gold during the auction.

I almost didn't buy Biblios because of the dry theme, but this card game really delivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that happens in 4p is there are a lot less categories to go around so it becomes a lot more about dominating one high point category. It's not rare to win a 4p game with 1 5 or 6-point category having ignored 4 categories. We played 4 4p games in a row on Friday and two of the games were won with less than 6 points.

I find this makes the game a bit more luck driven as drawing a 4blue and a couple of +church cards gives a tremendous advantage in 4p but not in 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.