Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
It might be me but a quick comparison after feeling the units while I'm clipping has me thinking that the counters are thinner than cb or gbII.and ..indeed...they are.

To me they feel like the difference between the GBOH SPQR and the JC civil war whose counters are awful. Mildly disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and the die cutting is much worse than what I have come to expect from MMP. They used had real nice cut countersheets but this one was bad.

Also the print on the counters is fuzzy when compared to other games from MMP that used to have much sharper print.

I think they have gone for saving money on the printing by cheaping out on the quality.
Strange that it looks like GMT is going out of their way enhancing the quality on their games that MMP is going in the other direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah baby.

Cool. I store all the rule books in a big zip lock and use a printed marked up color pdf copy or my tablet to read on.

I'm getting around to doing some gaming this week I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
It might be me but a quick comparison after feeling the units while I'm clipping has me thinking that the counters are thinner than cb or gbII.and ..indeed...they are.

To me they feel like the difference between the GBOH SPQR and the JC civil war whose counters are awful. Mildly disappointing.

EEKS! Those JC Civil War counters killed me. I clipped them all and began to play on my magnetic whiteboard, and because they were so thin they would often slip out of the counter magnets! I had to rotate the counter 90 degrees half the time to avoid it from spilling out (since in GBoH counter facing matters!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
GeneSteeler wrote:
hipshot wrote:

EEKS! Those JC Civil War counters killed me. I clipped them all and began to play on my magnetic whiteboard, and because they were so thin they would often slip out of the counter magnets! I had to rotate the counter 90 degrees half the time to avoid it from spilling out (since in GBoH counter facing matters!)

Hey there Randy, glad to see you back. Thought we had lost you there!
Funnily enough the one game in the GBoH series I try to play in magnets was JC... sigh. What a hassle. Had to reset to the table.

If not for Pharsalus I would punt that module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
I think they have gone for saving money on the printing by cheaping out on the quality.
Strange that it looks like GMT is going out of their way enhancing the quality on their games that MMP is going in the other direction.

Talk about jumping to a conclusion! There are myriad reasons why the diecut pattern may have changed that I would consider before publicly musing that they're 'cheaping out on the quality'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Svarthand wrote:

Talk about jumping to a conclusion! There are myriad reasons why the diecut pattern may have changed that I would consider before publicly musing that they're 'cheaping out on the quality'.

Well that is my opinion so you will have to live with it.

They went from nicely cut counters to poorly cut ones and they went from sharp print to poor fuzzy one and the counters is thinner than before in both SpecOps3 and TBL which is the two latest releases from MMP I have. I'll put my money on that they have changed printer provider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Svarthand wrote:
patton1138 wrote:
Svarthand wrote:

Well that is my opinion so you will have to live with it.

They went from nicely cut counters to poorly cut ones and they went from sharp print to poor fuzzy one and the counters is thinner than before in both SpecOps3 and TBL which is the two latest releases from MMP I have. I'll put my money on that they have changed printer provider.

Just to get our terminology clear. It is a fact that the diecut pattern is different. It may be your opinion that this makes the production quality lower. It is groundless speculation that the reason for the lower production quality is because MMP was 'cheaping out'. Let's not confuse all of those categories.

I was not challenging your opinion that the quality is lower; you are certainly entitled to it. I was questioning your decision to speculate aloud as to the reasons and subsequently disparage MMP, without any evidence for those reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Just to get our terminology clear. It is a fact that the diecut pattern is different. It may be your opinion that this makes the production quality lower. It is groundless speculation that the reason for the lower production quality is because MMP was 'cheaping out'. Let's not confuse all of those categories.

Yes, and there is no proof that global warming exists...?

Quote:
I was not challenging your opinion that the quality is lower; you are certainly entitled to it. I was questioning your decision to speculate aloud as to the reasons and subsequently disparage MMP, without any evidence for those reasons.

He is holding the evidence in his hands. Anyone can look, feel and smell (well, not really the last one) the difference and it is clearly of inferior quality - which definitely equals cheaper. It is not like they've spent MORE money to get to the quality level they are at right now. If that had been the case, they should be friggin' furious with the printer and sued their sweet tushes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Sjögren
Sweden
Skövde
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Gå PÅ!
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:

Well I think that the quality on the cardboard, the print, the diecut is substandard compared to what I have come to expect from MMP based on their previous record. I believe that this is because they have tried to save money on printing because that is in my opinion the most plausible explanation when you take into considerations all the combined changes for the worse.

TBL costing as much as it does I think I am right in expecting more from MMP.

Voicing my unhappiness with the quality is my right and I hope others that are disapointed does the same so MMP gets to know that there are gamers that think these things are important when they make their purchases.

So if you are happy with the quality say so and let me have my opionion and say my piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
taragalinas wrote:
patton1138 wrote:

Yes, and there is no proof that global warming exists...?

Quote:

He is holding the evidence in his hands. Anyone can look, feel and smell (well, not really the last one) the difference and it is clearly of inferior quality - which definitely equals cheaper. It is not like they've spent MORE money to get to the quality level they are at right now. If that had been the case, they should be friggin' furious with the printer and sued their sweet tushes...

I doubt there is any recourse. The companies all receive test samples of the intended print runs, so they had a chance to review and either missed it or endorsed it.

Like I first said it is disappointing, and at first I thought it was just me. But I don't pay for games at this price level for this quality level.

The good news is the game should be fun to play. The tactile experience another thing.

So from now on, I will wait the extra time to physically see the games in hand....hmmm but that will be hard as my FLGS cannot get stock for a set of reason that would take this topic off thread.

I shall await the verdict of BGG quality control thenwhistle

I hope we can avoid this turning into a fanboy contest, we all love MMP product, I think this was just a BIG surprise to me coming on the back of the recently purchase of GBII and Case Blue. As far as counters go the difference is stark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
I hope we can avoid this turning into a fanboy contest, we all love MMP product, I think this was just a BIG surprise to me coming on the back of the recently purchase of GBII and Case Blue. As far as counters go the difference is stark.

Yes, I reckon we're all in agreement there. We are still talking about a brand new OCS game!

It's like the second coming of Christ and it turns out he's a panda. It's still Christ. It's just that he's a panda. Sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
taragalinas wrote:
hipshot wrote:

Yes, I reckon we're all in agreement there. We are still talking about a brand new OCS game!

It's like the second coming of Christ and it turns out he's a panda. It's still Christ. It's just that he's a panda. Sort of.

Now that is some funny analogy shit you got going here!wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.