Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I am putting an asterisk (*) at the points I just want to clarify:

In a game currently underway, the cartels have 5 G's available and 11 bases. Since this means they have 10+ pieces, they rally for their turn*.

Bullet point by bullet point
a. there is nowhere a base could go, so skip down to the next one,
b. no active G's where there are cubes, so skip,
c. no unprotected base
d. rally in one department, not a city*, where they can cultivate. Only rally in 1 space*, despite the fact that the max is 3.

I know Volko's rules are well written and are meant to be taken literally, but without knowing the reasons behind the design, I am thinking, why just 1? Why not in a city?

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathan!

The points above are all correct.

The main reason for only one Rally space in this situation is for efficiency in growth of Cartels Bases per Resource spent. Cultivate can place a max of one new Base per card, and that must be in a Rally Department (not City -- this is specifically setting up with new coca or poppy growers) if a new Base is to be placed (not just moved).

So the NP Cartels are husbanding their Resources in this case to grow as fast as they can on this move anyway.

I think you will find that NP Cartels Bases grow quite fast enough!

A secondary design reason for such maximums on various NP Operations is to limit the bother and fiddliness of implementing the flowcharts. That bother reaches its maximum with FARC March, which is unlimited only because the NP FARC really need it to be effective. (I put a whole play example in the Playbook just to help players through with a single NP FARC March. Fortunately, NP FARC Marches don't happen all that often, maybe a couple times in a typical solitaire game).

If NP Cartels and AUC also Marched as much, it would slow down the game overly. But much more limited Marches by those NP are effective enough (because of the nature of their actions and objectives).

See what you think -- I hope you like it! Best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Volko!

It must have taken a bunch of play testing and planning to put together the solitaire version of this game!I wouldn't even know where to start! Thanks so much for your hard work, though, as it means so much to us without a regular gaming group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathan, I hope it works well for you. A number of playtesters did indeed put a great deal of effort into making sure that the Non-player system provides an entertaining challenge -- many of the folks listed in the credits near the back of the Playbook. Several of them are here about on BGG, such as:

Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jeremy Antley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
My personal blog :: http://peasantmuse.blogspot.com
badge
The Woodsman- Ivan Kramskoy, 1874
mbmbmbmbmb

Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... and others. Cheers! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.