Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Waterworks» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Who's the Idiot that Turned on the Valve?!?" -- A Solitaire Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterworks, with its fun tile-laying and unique theme, is ripe for solo play. I've created a solitaire variant that apes some ideas from the old freeware PC games where you'd have to stay ahead of the relentless water flow before it over took your unfinished pipeline.

My muse.

Objective

The object of the game is to connect the corners: bottom-right valve to top-left spigot, and bottom-left valve to top-right spigot (red to red and blue to blue in the image below). The two pipelines are allowed to merge and split as necessary (with the tee fittings), or they may remain separate if you choose. You win the game if you connect each valve to its target spigot before the water flow overtakes you. You lose the game if the water overtakes any open connection.

Setup

Take 2 valves and 2 spigots and set them up as the corner pieces in an imaginary 6x6 grid.(Note the units on the width are the width of the cards, and the units on the height are the height of the cards). The valves go in the bottom corners with the open ends facing inward, and the spigots go in the top corners likewise (See picture below for exact positioning). Set aside all other valves and spigots.

Shuffle the deck and draw 5 cards. Shuffle any leaky cards back into the deck, and replenish your hand of 5 cards until there are no leaky cards (leaks on cap cards are OK). Place 3 wrenches in front of you and set the rest aside. For an advanced game, use only 1 or 2 wrenches.

Not using dielectric couplings is an open invitation to corrosion. The more you know!

Basic Turn "Flow"

Follow these steps each turn:

1.) Draw a card from the deck.

1a.) If the card you draw is a leaky fitting--a pipe, tee, or ell--discard it immediately and flip over the oldest two cards in both pipelines. The water flow has filled up those two fittings. (Note: the valve card is turned over first, then the first fitting hooked up to it, then the next card, etc.). If this flips over the last card in a chain or a fitting or pipe with an open end, you lose the game. If not, your turn is now over. Go back to step 1.

1b.) If the card you draw has a leaky cap portrayed anywhere on it, advance only one of the water flows by one card. Keep the cap card and then advance to step 2.

2.) Play a card or discard a card. Most rules from vanilla Waterworks apply here: cards cannot be played sideways, you cannot create an endless loop, and you can't end a stub of pipe or an open fitting into another card that does not connect to it. Your card must connect to one or both of the valve cards, no laying pipe ahead of where you are or building from the spigot side out. Basic tile-laying stuff here folks.

Water water everywhere, and all the cards did shrink...

Other Rules

Wrenches act as saves, stopping any water flow. If you draw a leaky pipe card, you may discard (dis-wrench?) a wrench from your collection in order to avoid flooding any tiles along one pipeline. You may discard more than one wrench in a turn to stop multiple flows. Now start a new turn (you may not play or discard any cards this turn).

At the start of the game, you may not lose until you have at least four total tiles laid. If you draw a leaky pipe card before this occurs, flood up to but not including the last card in either pipeline. (Example: left pipeline has one card played, right pipeline has two. Flood the left valve, and the right valve & its first fitting.)

Tees direct water out both of their outlets, meaning if a tee is the next card to be flooded, you will be turning over the tee and the next two cards going in different directions. Be sure to cap off open tees before the water gets there!

The 6x6 grid does not constitute a barrier. Feel free to build outside the grid in order to finish the pipelines (see picture below).

When you win the game, flip all cards back over in reverse order to double-check that everything fits and there are no open ends. Then pat yourself on the back as your self esteem skyrockets.

Pipeline design makes no sense? Must be public works.

Feedback is appreciated! I'm finding it moderately challenging, and I'm interested to hear what you guys think. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No time to play right now, but it looks very interesting and I hope to give it a shot soon.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Philo
badge
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! thumbsupcool

I look forward to trying this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seeker Goldstone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
If the card you draw is a leaky fitting[/b]--a pipe, tee, or ell--discard it immediately and flip over the oldest two cards in both pipelines.

What happens when the two pipelines have merged into one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Banuelos
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this out tonight after buying the game today

This is a good solo variant, fitting for the game and presents an interesting challenge. I used poker chips instead of flipping over cards for the water filling up.

Won once and lost twice. I would play again and possibly play around with optionally discarding 2 or 3 of a kind to either draw that many or to gain an additional wrench.

Great design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Banuelos
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IAmSeeker wrote:
What happens when the two pipelines have merged into one?

I would imagine the same result, if they have merged into one then flip over the number of cards you would normally flip as if they were 2 separate pipelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.