Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On 6th and 7th October I will be at the local annual game convention here in Florence (Italy) where I will have a table to introduce possible new wargamers to our hobby.
Which game to you think is more suitable between Napoleonic 20 and Conflict of Heroes?
My choice is milited to these two series beacuse I usually play heavier wargames and these are the only that I know quite well and are easy and quick.

I think Napoleonic 20 has more classical and typical mechanics, but Conflict of Heroes has better graphics (or, at least, is mkore attractive), bigger counters and better materials and, maybe, a theme usually more appreciated (I think more people are attracted by WW2 than by Napoleonic Wars).

Please, don't base your vote on your personal preference, but only consider the suitability for my task.
Thanks.

Poll
Which game is more suitable to introduce new players to wargames at a convention?
Napoleonic 20
Conflict of Heroes
      66 answers
Poll created by nickcia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the game doesn't really mater. It's hou introduce it.

Set up an easy scenario with only a limited amount oftroops and rules necessary (should takes 5 minutes to explain at the most) and have a 30 to 60 minut game. It should give the feel of playing a wargame, not the full experience.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think CoH would be a better bet, as it has a bigger, more colourful map & counters. Unfortunately it's a bit more complex, but you have to get people to sit down first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done !

The Wargame Bootcamp has been teaching wargames at local conventions for a few years and has gained much experience on how to attract more gamers to wargames.

Here are some thoughts on how to do it using the two options that you have with the Napoleonic 20 and Conflict of Heroes games.

Which game do you think is a better choice ?
A scenario or game with local connections or near an anniversary of an important battle may be more popular than an obscure topic, even if you like the topic. WW2 always works !

Which game do you like the most ?
Your enthusiasm for the game helps you to teach it and pass on that enthusiasm to the gamers.

Which game do you know the best ?
Knowing the game rules and tactics well helps you to teach the game, even if it is more complicated than other games.

Practice teaching the game, so you teach the rules and the tactics in a logical and informative order; this is not necessary the same order as the rules. Practice teaching the game to someone who has not played it before, teaching a game well is a tough job and practice helps.

Pick a simple and balanced scenario
This will allow you to teach the game to one or more players and they both feel as if they can win.

It is not about the winning, it's all about the wargame !
Teach the game and the tactics, you do not have to teach or play a whole game. While you play the game you must help the player by making suggestions as they play, advise them what is good or bad to do; do not tell them

Do not beat them at a game and do not lose too easily, make it a challenge, make it a contest. Picking the right scenario is important, make it a balanced scenario where both sides can win.

Make it fun for you and the gamers.
This is very important, make it fun so they come back. Pass on your enthusiasm to the gamers and make new gaming contacts.

Teamwork and advertising.
Have a friend act as a greeter for you, so that you can teach the game and a friend can explain what is happening to other people without it disrupting the gaming

Have sign/s explaining what you are doing and a little about the game/s you are teaching, some people may be interested and some signs will help to entice people without them having to ask

Have fun and good luck, we would like to hear of your success at your local con.

Tim
On behalf of the Wargame Bootcamp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Why not set both up? Nap 20 takes up almost no space.
If these are your only options (hell, you could
even add a couple more space-wise, I'd think), there
should be no problem. And prospective players can choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
CoH. Trade out chits for painted miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for answering the poll and for your advice!

I will use Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 (the first scenario, I think) as the main game, to attract people, but I will also have Waterloo 20 (the most famous battle of the era) ready in a corner of the table for those who might prefer Napoleonic Wars. My girlfriend (my usual wargame partner) will greet people and tell them what we are doing, will help me monitor players and give them advice, so that guys watching our table will think: "If a girl can play that, it shouldn't be that difficult and boring!". And she will be able to teach the other game, if needed. Well, hoping we manage to attract some player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.