Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which would you say stays fresh the longest? Also, which would you say is more worth the money?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant speak fro arkham horror but i do very much enjoy small world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How often would you say you play it? Do you find it getting bland or do you enjoy it about the same every time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I already own Elder Sign and it's fun but I'm looking for something a bit more difficult and thought Arkham would suit what I was looking for but I also quite enjoy Small World. I'll have both eventually but I'm just looking for what I should get next with the money I have. It's a one-or-the-other situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these games share a problem -- if the mechanism they use to keep fresh just doesn't work for you then you will find that they are very much in the I played it once and have absolutely no interest in doing so again category. I strongly suggest playing them first rather than relying on recommendations here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a ~90 minute game of punching each other in the nose. Arkham Horror is a 4+ hour cooperative game. What kind of experience are you looking for? If you liked Elder Sign and wished it had more immersion and was 5 times longer, than Arkham is probably worth a look. Trying before you buy is always advisable, but if that's not an option, I'd probably recommend Small World unless you have a group that's going to be able to get a 4+ hour game to the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaoss134 wrote:
How often would you say you play it? Do you find it getting bland or do you enjoy it about the same every time?

we play it fairly often, we still haven't played all of it (i received it in a trade with several expansions)

But then again i dont have a super massive collection (although it is getting bigger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually working on the profile thing now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own and play both games frequently and believe them to be equally great. However, with that being said it's kinda impossible to recommend one over the other because they are completely different in nearly every major way.

In fact, I don't think you could have picked two games to choose between that are as different from each other as these two.

First, Arkham Horror is strictly co-op while Small World falls totally on the other end of the scale as a strictly competitive 'stab-your-friends' type game (one of the strengths of Small World though is that no one seems to mind being stabbed or attacked, making it a great beginner direct conflict game).

Arkham Horror is easily a four hour game the first time you play (and even out at about 3 hours, 2 if you're fast and all players knows what to do), while Small World happily finishes in an hour and a half (on the long end). That's not to say that Arkham Horror is worse because it takes longer, but rather that it's up to what you want from a game.

To cut it short, pick up Arkham Horror if you want a longer, involved, theme-heavy game, more complex-ish, cooperative game. Pick up Small World if you want a shorter, lighter, competitive, area control game. I mean, because they are completely different you really just have to decide on what type of game you're looking to play.

I suppose in the end my personal choice between the two would be Arkham Horror but it's only based on my very personal preferences, not on which game is empirically better. The most telling thing here is that I have both because both fulfill different purposes entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okra or anchovies? yuk

Is there a "none of the above" choice? arrrh

I find Small World to be a bland area control mechanism hidden under some goofy fantasy tropes with the "put your race in decline" gimmick not worth the price of admission.

Arkham Horror is a sprawling mess that would get no love if it wasn't for the Cthulhu theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought them both about the same time quite a while ago. I have all of the expansions for AH. I can't remember the last time I played SW. My wife and I just played AH acouple of times back to back last week. I prefer Arkham because it is a tense challenging game that is different every time I play. Small World just didn't do it for me theme wise. It was not a bad game it just seemed like a simplistic war game. Maybe I should give it another go. Won't change my mind though I would go with Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting it bluntly here: Arkham Horror is a 5-hour game that is too complex for what it is, and has way too much downtime. I realize some will say that the game is all about the theme and roleplay, but the complex rules, the downtime, and the fact that you'll be doing the same things over and over again really prevent me from getting into the theme. If I want to roleplay, I can play a real roleplaying game in the time AH takes. I've played Arkham (copy of my friend) about five times, because people ask me to teach them, I'll never suggest it myself. (Also note that my playmates and I aren't native English speakers, and the game is in English).

I like long games, theme and roleplay is the thing I look for in games, and I prefer cooperative if possible. I'm not dissing AH here just because, I want to inform you that AH is a love-it-or-hate-it game. People suggesting it here really love it (and probably with good reason: their taste in games isn't better or worse than mine).

So, if possible, try AH before you buy.

(edit: spelling error)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jeff,

I enjoy them both but, as other posters have already said, they are two completely different games: Arkham Horror is a very long e quite exacting cooperative game with a low success expectation for the players; Small World is an easy competitive game playing in a bit more than an hour.

Moreover, a relevant difference between them is Arkham Horror requires a group of experienced gamers (even better if they're familiar with the Chtulhu mythos) to be enoyed: I'd advise against playing it with casual or non-gamers as you could scare them (of course not because of the theme but because of the game's complexity).
On the other side, Small World is a good gateway game: after you explain the rules, new players/gamers need just one turn to understand how the game really works and don't feel like they're told every turn what to do as it usually happens with new gamers in a cooperative game: all of this results in them having a better time while playing.
Nonetheless, it's important to say that, without expansions, Small World could become quite repetitive if played with the same people.

By seeing the games you already own and thus guessing you like them, I think Small World would be a better choice for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I enjoy both, I would advise you to consider the expansions.

Arkham Horror expansions add more complexity and offer a somewhat deeper experience. Some would argue that they are just there to lengthen the game, but if you enjoy it and are into the mythos, some are worth it.

The Small World expansions offer vey little comparatively and are a total ripoff! (Grand Dames, Cursed, and Be Not Afraid could/should have been combined into one expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombadillo wrote:
Hello Jeff,

I enjoy them both but, as other posters have already said, they are two completely different games: Arkham Horror is a very long e quite exacting cooperative game with a low success expectation for the players; Small World is an easy competitive game playing in a bit more than an hour.

Moreover, a relevant difference between them is Arkham Horror requires a group of experienced gamers (even better if they're familiar with the Chtulhu mythos) to be enoyed: I'd advise against playing it with casual or non-gamers as you could scare them (of course not because of the theme but because of the game's complexity).
On the other side, Small World is a good gateway game: after you explain the rules, new players/gamers need just one turn to understand how the game really works and don't feel like they're told every turn what to do as it usually happens with new gamers in a cooperative game: all of this results in them having a better time while playing.
Nonetheless, it's important to say that, without expansions, Small World could become quite repetitive if played with the same people.

By seeing the games you already own and thus guessing you like them, I think Small World would be a better choice for you.

I also own and play both and quite agree with Bombadillo. If you have a regular group of experienced gamers that enjoy the Cthulu mythos and stylings and have the time to sit down at the table for 3-4 hours then by all means grab Arkham horror.

On the other hand, if you are looking to bring together a group of people that have less time and want something lighter or competitive then Small World will do ya.

I've been playing games once a week with a few guys from work for about 6-7 months now and Small World was one that they all took to regardless of Geek level. Arkham has been a much more difficult sell and I still haven't managed to convince them to have a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My friends and I don't see each other often enough to have time to play a 2-4 hour game. Arkham Horror sounds ridiculously fun to me (and them) but Small World may be the way to go considering it's shorter and a little more casual (for the other group of people I hang out with). Thanks for all the replies and sorry that it was so hard to comment considering how much the two games differ. Small World it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrs Bradford
Australia
flag msg tools
they are both VERY different games
but personally i own both and Arkham has been played maaaaany more times before we started to look at 'spicing it up'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Romero
United States
Jacksonville
FL -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Arkham Horror about six months ago for $20 on the Marketplace, and it has been opened a few times but not seriously considered to use for a game. It's just rare that we can commit 3-4 hours to play ONE game. It has to be REALLY good to do it, and even then we don't often game for that long usually a few hours 2-3 hours.

While I hear it is good, and I hear it is fun. It's time limit is intimidating for the people I game with. Oh well, the box looks cool on my shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play Small World quite often and everyone here loves it! (And the expansions are useful to add a little something different)

Arkham Horror has been on my wishlist for the longest long time, but I can't find many people willing to commit hours to a single game so I haven't bothered purchasing it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MRomeo99 wrote:
I bought Arkham Horror about six months ago for $20 on the Marketplace, and it has been opened a few times but not seriously considered to use for a game. It's just rare that we can commit 3-4 hours to play ONE game. It has to be REALLY good to do it, and even then we don't often game for that long usually a few hours 2-3 hours.

While I hear it is good, and I hear it is fun. It's time limit is intimidating for the people I game with. Oh well, the box looks cool on my shelf

I agree here. I usually don't have this much time. Or rather, my friends don't. That's why I'll probably end up purchasing it closer to summer since people have more time to do things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kimifly wrote:
We play Small World quite often and everyone here loves it! (And the expansions are useful to add a little something different)

Arkham Horror has been on my wishlist for the longest long time, but I can't find many people willing to commit hours to a single game so I haven't bothered purchasing it yet.

I'd play with you but you live in Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.