Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed the first game but did have a number of questions after muddling through the rulebook.

1. Are there distinct subphases with each phase that should be done in order? Specifically, for the Research phase, if I go first, am I theoretically unable to license technologies that later players purchase on their turn? OR, is there some sense of a "second-go-round" or "open licensing" subphase where the just-purchased techs can be borrowed?

The layout of the phases on the player dashboards seem to suggest a subphase concept.

2. Brand Loyalty: What does "Profit: x2R" mean? Is it just to signify the doubled cost of buyouts, or something else entirely?

3. When I draw the same tech as one I already own (i.e. it's not public yet), does it count as an additional technology toward your limit of 3 & for the purposes of making the next purchase more expensive ? (Two Scanner Sweeps = 2 techs, or 1?) Does this double-tech also make licenses twice as expensive to buy? Does it count twice the points if I possess it at the end of the game?

4. Do customers you experiment on with "Experimentation" leave the game when discarded?

5. It seems there are a number of reasons why going first is disadvantageous. Could you comment on some of the aspects of going first/last that might escape new players?

6. Teleporters + Hostile Takeover: Does this combo allow me to attempt buyouts in mid-move? (Move 1, buyout, move further?)

7. Hyper Drive: Explain the second function of this effect. Does it say that if my ship starts at a Warp Gate, I can spend 1R to move up to 5 spaces?

8. Can Orbital Platforms be built above Uninhabitable Planets?
9. How many Orbital Platforms are intended to be used/available in a 2,3,4,5,6 (competitive or co-op) game?

10. If I draw additional Events while resolving a multi-draw effect such as a different Event or Advanced Sensor Relays, how should I handle their effects, particularly if they "end exploration"?

11. Do Teleporters permit late loading/unloading (after the action starts) if combined with an exploration-based action like Exploration or Scanner Sweep? So I could draw a tile, place it, and then decide whether or not to take customers from my current region before I move further?

12. Does drawing Cataclysm end my exploration? Or do I simply draw a replacement (i.e. it's an Event)?

13. The "Thank You Backers" QR code currently 404's when I scan it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wombat Sanders
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mb
1. There are no sub-phases in the way you describe. The advantage to going first is in the Fleet phase, the disadvantage is in the Research phase. The text on the dashboard is just reminder text to explain what you do in each phase.

2. It is just to signify the doubled cost of Buyouts. If a technology has a Profit listed (green tech), but does not say that you receive that Profit at any point, it's simply for reference.

3. Owning two copies of a tech counts towards your limit, makes your next purchase more expensive, and counts as two separate technologies for selling and points (so you get double). Because they're separate, it does not affect Licensing.

4. Yes, Experimenting on your Customers removes them from the game. Try not to think about it.

5. Going first is only sort of disadvantageous, unless there is some reason to do so, such as claiming a newly discovered planet that was unable to be Colonized, carrying out a Buyout, or preventing a Buyout. If you're just exploring and filling your Colonies, you probably won't care much when you go. This is why there is both an auction and a pass mechanism. Most of the time, you'll pass or bid 30.

6. It does not. Teleporters allow you to pick up, drop off, and form colonies - none of which are actions - without ending your movement.

7. That is precisely what Hyper Drive means.

8. Orbital Platforms can be built above any planet which does not have a corporation token on it, including uninhabitable and negative asset planets.

9. Orbital Platforms are equal to the number of players. Warp Gates are equal to the number of players plus 2 (so, 4-8)

10. Any time you are drawing multiple tiles, all events resolve before Regions are placed. If you draw multiple events, you may choose the order in which they resolve. If you draw an event which ends Exploration, it must be resolved before a Region is placed, and then discard any un-placed Regions. It is possible in this way to lose Paradise! to a micro-organism attack.

11. Teleporters aren't what allow late loading/unloading. You may pick up and drop off Customers before or after any movement or action, so you can always choose to drag along your lonely Customer during Exploration.

12. Cataclysm is just like any other Event, and does not end exploration.

13. The backer 404 came up in our meeting last night. It should be getting fixed shortly.

Hope that helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leech
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
10. This rule clarification is one that will need to be in the updated rules. Because we discussed the logic of what do do when drawing two and this happened (event ending exploration while holding an unplaced planet). We decided that the planet get placed, but not movement into it is allowed. Which would be wrong according to what you said.

11. "you can always choose to drag along your lonely Customer during exploration" -- question about that. We were playing that lets say you were scanner sweeping, and you drew a planet that you wanted to colonize, you would have had to pick up the customer(s) off of your existing colony before scanner sweeping and revealing the planet. Meaning once the action starts the ship has left the planet surface with our without customers and can't redock to pick up a customer to use to colonize unless they have teleportation. This makes it sound like we could choose to pick up a customer after revealing the new tile. Just wanting a clarification.

Thanks, love the game. One of the friends I was playing with is really wanting to buy a copy of this game he loves it so much.

And one other note about the infamous spinners, several of mine are off center, so new fixed components wont fix that. Since you print with a (significant) bleed to account for cutting error, which this printer seems to have a quite a bit of variance when it comes to cutting that card board (or printing two sized in roughly the same spot as noticed by the tiles), it seems almost impossible to ensure that the hole really is going to be in the center of the dial. We used the D10 dice, which also helped us add up scoring easier as well. I would recommend either a slider clip on a number line or two columns on the side of the dashboard with number 0-9 that players can use a clear marker or something to mark. This way accuracy of the cut becomes less crucial. Just my two cents.

Few more random questions/comments.

a) Why does the orbital platform technology have a 9R as a sale value when it can never be owned by a single player?

b) We played that a player with cloned food can hostile takeover/buy out a colony with 5 customers. So then with the corporation that has not population limit (I forget the name)...they can basically buyout/hostile take over any colony regardless of population size?

c) I like the create your own ideas, already had one idea for a tech, but waiting to actually write it down. It would be nice to have 3 of those, with a pre-printed back already having the A, B, or C on it. Or at least a sticker with the A, B, or C art on it. It is far too obvious that the hand written A, B, or C is the tech that is player created. This is necessary to avoid when it comes to decision making about buying tech.

d) In the updated rules, it would be nice to have a listing of all of the events and technology. I know this might feel redundant because they are explained on the card, but in the rule book have something like some of the examples or additional explanations you have offered on here. Like when we had a question about the warp gate (can one who licensed the tech build a warp gate, or just use the warp gate), we found it in the rule book, and it said the EXACT same thing that was on the card, and nothing more. Also, might I suggest a more easier to read font for the body of the text in the rule book. I like the font (as a title and subtitle), just hard to read a lot of it in prose.

Love the game...really do, that's why I've taken the time to make comments, not griping, just trying to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wombat Sanders
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mb
a) Just in case we wanted it later. We also wanted something to indicate the comparative value of the technology to players who aren't currently acting.

b) You can't buyout a colony if it exceeds your own or your target's population limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
wombatsanders wrote:
4. Yes, Experimenting on your Customers removes them from the game. Try not to think about it.

I laugh every time I read this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.