Recommend
20 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Defenders of the Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Future Defenders Of The Realm Expansion Information rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius was kind enough to share some information about the future expansions for this fantastic game in an interview posted over at 2D6.org

Normally I post this in the blogs section but since there is actual information about the upcoming expansions I thought this would be a good place to mention it also.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
This makes me angry.

Although I am excited to hear of a possible Second Edition of Defenders of the Realm.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that keeps me from playing DOTR a lot more is the way the generals move. It just bugs me that you can assemble some heroes to fight a general but while they are waiting for the rest of the heroes to arrive, the general can wander off and they are unable to do anything but sit there. I wonder if any of the expansions might change this one thing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The one thing that keeps me from playing DOTR a lot more is the way the generals move. It just bugs me that you can assemble some heroes to fight a general but while they are waiting for the rest of the heroes to arrive, the general can wander off and they are unable to do anything but sit there. I wonder if any of the expansions might change this one thing.


Seems like an easy thing to house rule - maybe heroes can discard a card of matching color to "follow" the general? I agree that can be frustrating.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope we'll be seeing new expansions soon: I'm so impressed by Defenders of the Realm that, even though I still have to include all the already released ones into my games, I would buy all of them blindly.

D6Frog wrote:
Quote:
and at present have been sending me sketches of the new art for the 2nd edition of Defenders of the Realm.

Does it mean they're dumping the beautiful and inspiring Elmore drawings?

That would be a sad loss for the game: there's no doubt Defenders of the Realm is a great game on its own but I think Elmore's art greatly helps give the game its peculiar feeling. It's a matter of style.

In the end it was the beautiful cover by Elmore that convinced me to make the purchase.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Seems like an easy thing to house rule - maybe heroes can discard a card of matching color to "follow" the general? I agree that can be frustrating.


It can be frustrating, we just accept it as a part of the game. This solution seems like a good house-rule for those who don't like it, though: You can follow, but you have to give up one of the cards you were going to use in the fight. Seems well-balanced and could make for an interesting choice when cards are tight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully it will be the same art, but with updated graphic design. I seem to recall talk of a new board being considered at one point, but I can't find the thread.

Bombadillo wrote:
I really hope we'll be seeing new expansions soon: I'm so impressed by Defenders of the Realm that, even though I still have to include all the already released ones into my games, I would buy all of them blindly.

D6Frog wrote:
Quote:
and at present have been sending me sketches of the new art for the 2nd edition of Defenders of the Realm.

Does it mean they're dumping the beautiful and inspiring Elmore drawings?

That would be a sad loss for the game: there's no doubt Defenders of the Realm is a great game on its own but I think Elmore's art greatly helps give the game its peculiar feeling. It's a matter of style.

In the end it was the beautiful cover by Elmore that convinced me to make the purchase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How will the second edition work with the expansions already available?
I wonder if the graphical update will just be the board or if everything is getting a makeover?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The one thing that keeps me from playing DOTR a lot more is the way the generals move. It just bugs me that you can assemble some heroes to fight a general but while they are waiting for the rest of the heroes to arrive, the general can wander off and they are unable to do anything but sit there. I wonder if any of the expansions might change this one thing.


Why are you powerless. Attack before you have 18 rolls built up. Doesn't seem to realistic to me that the General would just sit and await his massacre.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this good news! Wow, so much more to add to our little DotR universe. I will want all of those expansions for DotR, and so this little piece of info has given me enough heads-up to start saving now!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Doesn't seem to realistic to me that the General would just sit and await his massacre.


It seems even less realistic that he would just sit there with probability 90%, or move away with probability 10% while we watch helplessly.

But mostly I just don't enjoy this aspect of the game. Different people like different things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
rickert wrote:
Doesn't seem to realistic to me that the General would just sit and await his massacre.


It seems even less realistic that he would just sit there with probability 90%, or move away with probability 10% while we watch helplessly.

But mostly I just don't enjoy this aspect of the game. Different people like different things.


But my advice remains - attack before your numbers are so overwhelming that there's only about 2 percent chance of failure. I can see that sometimes a General might not become aware of the hero massing against him and I can also see times when he will become aware and move. All seems good to me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
But my advice remains - attack before your numbers are so overwhelming that there's only about 2 percent chance of failure.


Well, I know how to play the game, my problem is not that I don't win often enough, so advice about how to play doesn't really help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
REALLY hope they aren't planning on dropping Larry Elmore's art. That's one of the main reasons I like this game so much. To be honest, any mention of Second Editions makes me nervous about the future of DotR. I don't buy many FFG games any more because of how bad they've gotten with rereleasing second editions of games. Not something I'm a huge fan of.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
rickert wrote:
But my advice remains - attack before your numbers are so overwhelming that there's only about 2 percent chance of failure.


Well, I know how to play the game, my problem is not that I don't win often enough, so advice about how to play doesn't really help.


I wasn't giving advice on how to play or how to win but rather how to avoid what you didn't like about the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I wasn't giving advice on how to play or how to win but rather how to avoid what you didn't like about the game.


Oh, I see. That makes sense, but I guess I find it frustrating if I have to play in a way that makes me less likely to win, just to avoid the frustrating parts of the game. And if I attack with fewer heroes and I lose that battle because I roll somewhat worse than average, that's not really less frustrating, then I just think I should have waited.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah boy, I really enjoy this game. I enjoy the current artwork. Sad to hear there may be changes. Wondering how expansion art work will fit with first edition art.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The one thing that keeps me from playing DOTR a lot more is the way the generals move. It just bugs me that you can assemble some heroes to fight a general but while they are waiting for the rest of the heroes to arrive, the general can wander off and they are unable to do anything but sit there. I wonder if any of the expansions might change this one thing.


For me this aspect of the game is highly thematic. The Generals view us heroes as pathetic, having only eyes on Monarch City as the great prize. They fact they move on when we have laid careful plans I think is awesome and builds the narrative of a play session.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like DotR as it is, but I completely welcome a 2nd edition with all new art if it will get others to play the game. I know there's a lot out there who don't like the Elmore art or hate the current graphical design and they won't even try to game (really too bad for them). If this update will make them play it, I say all the better to get more people playing this awesome game!

I'm really looking forward to more expansions as soon as Eagle can get them printed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you notice they're not commissioning art from Elmore so much as they're licensing existing works of art. Maybe that's limiting the direction they can take the game in. It's possible there might be legal reasons forcing the changes; for example, you can't license X because Wizards of the Coast owns it. It's also important to note that they're tying their product identity to Elmore. What happens if his artwork suddenly becomes unavailable?

I like Defenders of the Realm and Richard Launius deserves our trust so I'd definitely check out a re-release. I'd hope that 2nd edition would also include:

1.) An update to the instructions so the FAQs are incorporated into the existing rules. A new edition is a great time to add some polish to the instructions.

2.) Better cardstock for the playing cards; or at least no reduction in quality compared to first edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
For me this aspect of the game is highly thematic. The Generals view us heroes as pathetic, having only eyes on Monarch City as the great prize. They fact they move on when we have laid careful plans I think is awesome and builds the narrative of a play session.


It's a good way to look at it. Thanks. I will try to cultivate this attitude.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Reeves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When they come out I will purchase the Quests, Scenario's and Dark General's expansion for definite. Catacombs and Trolls are maybe's. Probably not the heroes as I have 17.

I do hope Eagle Games gets a move on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be purchasing everything as long as it is compatible with the version that already exists. Well, everything except for the quest deck, I should be getting that for free since they chose one of my quests to be in it cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also buy anything and everything for this game. Assuming compatibility is not an issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill be all over a general expansion, fighting the base generals and dragons can get a bit predictable. We already have a ton of heroes, now we just need more generals!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.