Subject: Is this good as a first expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a more advanced expansion, but I only have the base game, which is pretty bland and boring (the cards that is, not the gameplay or variety or anything). It seems to me Dark Ages is the most complex expansion, so it should combine well with the base game, which is the simplest one, no? I think it would take Dark Ages to become stale a lot longer than any other single expanion, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have as much experience with Dark Ages as I do the other expansions, but I think it would be okay as a first expansion. My normal suggestion is Prosperity or Seaside, but Dark Ages would be fine too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
I know it's a more advanced expansion, but I only have the base game, which is pretty bland and boring (the cards that is, not the gameplay or variety or anything). It seems to me Dark Ages is the most complex expansion, so it should combine well with the base game, which is the simplest one, no? I think it would take Dark Ages to become stale a lot longer than any other single expanion, correct me if I'm wrong.

For me personally, I think Ruins separate from Curses and the possibility of games with both is kind of annoying. The cards that dig around the trash are cool, but Prosperity was more mind-blowing in the way it changed the game. I'd start there, although you might be disappointed with subsequent expansions then. Probably the expansion that's just "wow, these are really interesting cards!" without screwing with the rules much is Hinterlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be like skipping chapters to get to the meaty stuff at the end of the book. You'd be missing out on a lot of good stuff. dark ages biggest strength is that it seems to tweak the game the most. If you haven't explored the other expansions you need to tweak the least.

That is my opinion. In the end it is a really fun expansion and you would enjoy it. It will be harder to teach to newbies though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. If you're really in love with the concepts and have gamer friends, it may not be bad, but starting with Dark Ages with people who aren't huge gamers seems like a bad idea, as some of the rules are more complicated (Different starting cards, digging through trash, cards not in the supply that can be obtained, etc.) I personally went Vanilla, Intrigue, Cornucopia, Prosperity, Seaside/Hinterlands (bought them at the same time), Dark Ages and it worked out pretty well. Most people will probably tell you to grab Prosperity/Seaside first and expand from there in whichever order excites you. If you want to play 5-6 players (I wouldn't recommend it) or play more attack cards, grad Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you have the right group and you're the right type of gamer, then absolutely.

I'm that type of gamer.

Some may argue that it isn't a good idea because it's not as newbie friendly, but it sounds like that isn't a concern for you. In my opinion, it is easily the best expansion and makes the game much more interesting. I personally didn't find Prosperity nearly as revolutionary in terms of game play. It just felt like the same game, only longer and a different pacing. Dark Ages really changes the game, and has completely revitalized my interest in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
kroen wrote:

For me personally, I think Ruins separate from Curses and the possibility of games with both is kind of annoying. The cards that dig around the trash are cool, but Prosperity was more mind-blowing in the way it changed the game. I'd start there, although you might be disappointed with subsequent expansions then. Probably the expansion that's just "wow, these are really interesting cards!" without screwing with the rules much is Hinterlands.
I'd go so far to say that just Curses without any defenses vs. them (e.g. Moat, Chapel, Cellar) can be annoying for newbies. The game drags on twice as long as your typical Dom game, and newbies get the impression that such a long game is the norm than the exception.

Of course, that's not to say base game is bad either... just pick a preset or random set that's more newbie friendly. You can always do the same for DA.... no Curses, no Ruin giving cards for your first game or 3.

As far as suggesting Prosp. as a first exp... I'm more concerned that adding P/C that early will skew their perceptions and values of the Kingdom cards and the game itself, but I suppose that's the tradeoff with Prosp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it should be the first expansion to pick up. Dark Ages has so many cards related to trashing that there's not as much variety as one would expect with 35 new cards. This is why I would say Intrigue and Prosperity should be your first expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me elaborate: First, I asked whether it should be my first expansion, I didn't say it would also be my last. Second, there's no "game group", just me and my brother.

From reviews and looking at cards, I kind of like all the big expansions equally. The reason I'm biased toward Dark Ages is because it seems it has the most variety (it has the most kingdom cards out of all expansions, doesn't it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difference between "quantity" and "variety". And if this isn't your last expansion than it definately shouldn't be your next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyer
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
It's not about who wears the pants in the house, its about who controls the zipper!
badge
If I had a million dollars, I would still buy board games, just more of them!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I would get seaside or prosperity, although intrigue is great to although you do get a lot of cards you already have. I wouldn't buy this one until you have at least 3 other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
A friend of mine went intrigue then dark ages (I have them all, just FYI) and he rather enjoyed it a lot.

I don't think you can go wrong for the most part. Avoid Alchemy since it is generally the most disliked.

Me personally, I found that prosperity does change things a bit but it is mostly just that it means longer games with bigger engines.

Anyway, if, let's say, my entire collection disappeared and I wanted to start anew slowly. My buying order assuming I had the base:

1. Dark Ages
2. Hinterlands
3. Prosperity
4. Promo: Black Market
5. Cornucopia
6. Intrigue
7. Sea Side
8. Promo: Governor
8. Alchemy
9. All other promos: Walled Village, Stash, Envoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
kroen wrote:
Let me elaborate: First, I asked whether it should be my first expansion, I didn't say it would also be my last. Second, there's no "game group", just me and my brother.

From reviews and looking at cards, I kind of like all the big expansions equally. The reason I'm biased toward Dark Ages is because it seems it has the most variety (it has the most kingdom cards out of all expansions, doesn't it?)

Yes, it does. So, if you want a lot of bang Dark Ages would be great for that. It is less user friendly (mostly in strategizing, the cards are pretty straight forward), but it sounds like you and your brother would not have an issue with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend it as I think it's the best expansion out there! I don't really think it's that much more complex than Prosperity, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tnx for the replies, I'll probably get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Ages is a great expansion but I would NEVER suggest it as a first expansion. In fact, I would say at least two expansions and 12 months of playing should come before Dark Ages. Dark Ages breaks a lot of rules in playing Dominion ad it is harder to grasp those changes if not completely comfortable with how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Dark Ages is a great expansion but I would NEVER suggest it as a first expansion. In fact, I would say at least two expansions and 12 months of playing should come before Dark Ages. Dark Ages breaks a lot of rules in playing Dominion ad it is harder to grasp those changes if not completely comfortable with how the game works.

I don't understand this reasoning (not trying to single you out as I know others feel the same). For gamers that generally play much more complex games, Dark Ages really isn't that big of a step at all. It's definitely on par with games like Glory to Rome or Race for the Galaxy in terms of complexity....which means that it really isn't non-gamer friendly, but a couple of gamers shouldn't really have an issue with it especially if they've played the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Ages changes Dominion more than any other expansion. I don't think you have enough Dominion to change yet.

Why are you so against getting Seaside or Hinterlands or Prosperity? Those are more Dominion. Dark Ages is different Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
rickert wrote:

I don't understand this reasoning (not trying to single you out as I know others feel the same). For gamers that generally play much more complex games, Dark Ages really isn't that big of a step at all. It's definitely on par with games like Glory to Rome or Race for the Galaxy in terms of complexity....which means that it really isn't non-gamer friendly, but a couple of gamers shouldn't really have an issue with it especially if they've played the base game.

Were Dark Ages a standlone game on its own and not an expansion for Dominion, I would feel as you stated. But that's clearly not the case. In my view, Dark Ages takes the existing Dominion landscape and twists it in all sorts of really fun ways. But I also believe that you need to really know those untwisted ways to appreciate and easily comprehend what Dark Ages does. I think the best Dominion experience is to buy the expansions as they were released so that it always my best suggestion. But for those who want to skip around, I would avoid Dark Ages and Prosperity until a person already has at least two of the other expansions. I absolutely refused to have people Dark Ages at GenCon if they had never played Dominion, but also if they had only played Dominion a handful of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let people scare you away from Dark Ages, unless you are uncomfortable with complexity.

I have owned the base set for a long while and have played it on it's own a fair bit (for someone who doesn't play online and plays lots of other games as well). I was always reluctant to add more expansions since it requires more boxes on the shelf or time invested in a storage solution and more junk (tokens and mats, etc). With that in my mind I was pretty sick of Dominion.

I finally got Dark Ages and I am really happy with it. We played it a few times so far, on it's own and in combination with Intrigue (my friend owns Intrigue). I could not be happier with this purchase. I will admit it could be a little much for non gamers, but if you are comfortable with other complex card games (Glory to Rome, Race for the Galaxy) than get Dark Ages right away. It really ups the ante for Dominion and makes it a much more interesting game in my opinion.

I'm also going to go get Intrique though as after playing it a few times now, it seems to add a lot of interesting stuff to the game. If I were to start over I would probably just by Intrigue and Dark Ages, at least for the time being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Dark Ages changes Dominion more than any other expansion. I don't think you have enough Dominion to change yet.

Why are you so against getting Seaside or Hinterlands or Prosperity? Those are more Dominion. Dark Ages is different Dominion.

Against them? quite the contrary. They seem awesome, and I plan to get them eventually. My reasoning for preferring DA before the others I have already stated in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with you getting whichever expansion you want. They are all great in their own way. The differences between the expansions is enough to have have their own supporters but certainly not to the point of arguing about it.

That said, I am a bit put off that you started a thread asking advice and the community, for the most part, tried to steer you in a certain direction and you seemed to just ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've already said, I posted this thread with a bit of a bias toward DA and I have said why. And besides, enough people agreed that it was a good first expansion (and many of the others who didn't said it's good for gamers and such, which both me and my brother are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.