Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Why or Why not?

Which one do you consider better?

I do realize that are very similar games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Industry is Brass for Dummies. It is basically a stripped down version of Brass which has removed much of what makes Brass a great game. Just in case that wasn't clear enough, buy Brass and skip Age of Industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people feel AoI is better. It's a polarized question. You need to try for yourself to see which you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Age of Industry is Brass for Dummies.

Spoken like a true believer! Amen! Come, let us hate AoI together.

Seriously, I think it depends on what game you were exposed to first.

Those that played Brass first, vehemently dislike AoI, because it is too simple.

Those that played AoI first, feel that Brass is too complicated and fiddly.

As for what is "Best"? This brings up the questions: What qualities do you look for in a game? What qualities for you make one game better than another? I think you need to be more specific in what you are looking for. It's like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Too hot? Too cold? Just right...

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not mocking Sfox. In hindsight, it reads that way... I played Brass first, so count me in the camp of AoI haters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Brass. I like it, but the whole canal-age/railroad-age thing isn't very smooth and seems unnecessary. I'm looking forward to playing AoI. Brass didn't rise to the level where I wanted to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I looked at the games that aleitas had rated prior to my post. If I had seen nothing but light games like 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, etc I would have said he should get AoI over Brass. As he has rated heavier games higher than light ones, it seems to me pretty clear that he would prefer Brass over AoI. Also he gave Trajan his only 10 rating which indicates great taste (again pointing to Brass over AoI).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people who played Brass first, many times, rated it a 10, and then played AoI and preferred it. I just don't think you're going to get a meaningful answer to your question asking which is better. If you want to get into the details, see comparisons like this one, or this, or search for more then 5 seconds (like I did for those two) and you can probably find more.

Also keep in mind that AoI has multiple maps (two right out of the box, two more in the so far only official expansion), compared to Brass's 1. And the different maps have gameplay changes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my answer for the OP is "No, it's not worth owning both". This is from someone who owns both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Age of Industry is Brass for Dummies. It is basically a stripped down version of Brass which has removed much of what makes Brass a great game. Just in case that wasn't clear enough, buy Brass and skip Age of Industry.

Banal point. Both games are quite different. I find AoI to be a considerably a more subtle and less scripted games which requires the players to diversify to most of the industries. This transforms the timing game from Brass into something much more difficult to manage and interesting.

I played Brass first and quite a bit. It's a wonderful game, very evocative and especially great when played with the pared down two player map. In general I would say that Brass scales slightly better from 2-4 but AoI provides a great 4 player and 5 player map out of the gate. And compound this with some great expansions (including the PtP Great Lakes map) I think the choice gets even easier.

Now, I do find Brass's art to be cleaner and nicer, and the game is good, but I only think you need to own both if you think there's enough interest in your game group to explore a system deeply. If you've got the kind of group that does 1-5 plays of a game then puts it on the shelf, I'd pick one, and probably AoI as it's just as deep, easier to teach, and, if your group does fall for it, there are lots of affordable expansion out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have only played AoI, and just once (New England map). I thought it was a great game. Well balanced, lots of stuff to keep track of, not too fiddly (aside from initial setup). Love the balance of trying not to use other player's resources on the map, but needing to. Tight and tough, lot of game in there. I then bought the Japan/Minnesota expansions because I heard those change up the gameplay and complexity quite a bit. I've even seen the Minnesota map compared to...GASP.... Brass.

Also, many of the complaints I've seen from Brass players about AoI stem from the early days, usually after one play or from the Germany map or both combined. AoI has its own rules... you cannot play it with the same strategies as Brass.

But what do I know? Well.... I'm very glad to own Age of Industry. It's legitimately a great game and I wish I could break it out more! The main reason I haven't is because one person in my group disliked the game because... get this... she thought it was too complicated. And she's a smart girl that loves other economic games; this one is a bit fiddly and tough to explain. Brass for dummies, my eye. I do think she'd enjoy it if she was willing to give it another chance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question comes up regularly, like the one with the chicken and the egg

Ok, I played and bought Brass first and AoI later. I still play and like both. meeple

Brass is the more complex game, AoI is much more streamlined. Both are great games; but while Brass is limited to one map, AoI offers a lot more (official variant maps from Treefrog and PnP maps here on the Geek).

So my advice? After checking your game collection, I'm sure you will enjoy both games. If I would be forced to give one game away, I would keep AoI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're a collector, they're not worth owning both.

The gameplay and theme are too similar. Buy one and get something completely different as your second game.

But I guess, you got to that conclusion already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Anderson
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a friend of mine taught me to play Brass. Even though I did not get the meaning of canal/rail shift and lost horribly, I loved the game and tried to buy it. When I could not find it, I bought Age of Industry and fell in love with it as well. There was a waiting list at my gaming group to play Age of Industry for many weeks. I never bought Brass. Instead, I bought the AoI expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Also keep in mind that AoI has multiple maps (two right out of the box, two more in the so far only official expansion), compared to Brass's 1.
PzVIE wrote:
...Brass is limited to one map...

Lies! Sacrilege! Blasphemy!

Brass has at least two, count 'em, TWO maps!

Why AoI has more, I'll never know... (grumble, grumble)

There is the unofficial Catalonia map expansion that people seem to be overlooking. I've played it, and it is quite good.

There is a French map variant too, that I have heard rumors about, but it seems to not be here... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
In general I would say that Brass scales slightly better from 2-4

This is a first! I've never heard that Brass scales well to 2. There's no 2-player map other than Print-n-Play (which is something I hate to do). How does this scale well to 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
yes and from what I hear, the 2P fan made map Great lakes for AoI is supposed to be rather excellent

This is actually the reason I've been looking for a copy of AoI. I try to avoid PnP and so was planning on getting AoI as a way of getting a 2-player Brass fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
yes and from what I hear, the 2P fan made map Great lakes for AoI is supposed to be rather excellent

It is. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

This is a first! I've never heard that Brass scales well to 2. There's no 2-player map other than Print-n-Play (which is something I hate to do). How does this scale well to 2 players?

2p Brass is easily my favourite way to play the game.

You don't need to P&P anything, you just fill the unused towns spaces with one of the two unused player counters, remove the applicable cards/overseas markets tiles and don't use the £1 of the Iron and Coal track. That is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcangeli wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

2p Brass is easily my favourite way to play the game.

You don't need to P&P anything, you just fill the unused towns spaces with one of the two unused player counters, remove the applicable cards/overseas markets tiles and don't use the £1 of the Iron and Coal track. That is it!

I should have been clearer. I was talking about the popular fan variants that block off sections of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.